Protein Shakes

Options
If you are supplementing your protein with a protein shake what kind are you using? I am kind of a snob about taste so is anyone using something that tastes decent and is low in calories and high in protein? I've been using the special k protein shake but, they are almost 200calories for 10g of protein. I'd like something that has 20-25g of protein per serving.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do Jay robb, which is 1g carbs, no fat, 110 cal and 25g protein. Im about to start using zero carb ispoure, which is 50g protein and 210 cals. 1 fat and no carbs. I know for sure, Jay robb is great in just water.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Met-Rx Protein Plus in chocolate tastes pretty decadent, but seems to be a little spendier than others. I keep hearing great things about how good Optimum Nutrition brand tastes. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to after hearing all the buzz about it.

EAS Myoplex Chocolate tastes great, but that's more of a meal replacement/recovery shake rather than protein shake since it contains 23g of carbs in addition to the 42g protein.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I drink the Atkins shakes. I think they're around 15 g protein & around 160 calories. I like the chocolate...tastes great to me!
  • daylilies
    Options
    You know, I have tried a few of the ready to drink shakes and I don't like them. They're too thick. Right now I am using a powder called Naturade, it is soy, and it calls for 8 oz. of milk and 2 scoops, but I use 12 oz. of milk instead so it's at the thickness I like. I suggest getting a powder if you're picky, so you can adjust it to your liking. The one I use is a meal replacement so don't use that if you're just trying to up your protein.
  • cmw2011
    cmw2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Herbalife shakes taste really good. 17g protein for around 170 cals. What I think is even better, they also have a wild berry beverage mix that I think tastes great. That's 15g for only 70 cals. Great after a workout, because it's just a fruity drink. I can't stand stuffing my face after working out! :-)
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have pure protein 100% whey vanilla cream, it's not too bad
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i use Bodylogix. it has a great taste and it only has 1gram of sugar. one scoop is 117calories and has 20grams of protein. Taste is really important to me too. I usually add a banana and some soy for thickness and extra flavour.
  • ChadsKitten
    Options
    what flavors of Jay Robb did you like best?
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Oh Yeah! Milkshake which is Protein 32.00 g, Total Carbohydrate 4.00 g and 220 calories..It tastes really good!
  • kbutz1
    Options
    I use the EAS Vanilla 100% Whey Protein. 23g Protein, 3g Carbs, 120 calories. In water it is like a vanilla yoohoo. In skim, milk its pretty good, but add about 80 more calories for the milk. Since it is vanilla flavored, you can add it to just about anything like oatmeal, smoothies, etc. I get it at Sam's Club for about $27 for 76 servings.
  • Heatherk66
    Options
    I drink Shakeology. It's only got 140 calories.
    17 g of protein
    17 g carbs
    1 g fat
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    Syntha-6 Chocolate. It has 22 grams of protein, and 200 calories. Has a great taste in water, I drink mine with light vanilla soy milk. Taste just like a chocolate shake. Muscle milk is tasty too.

You can usually buy individual protein shakes so you can try them out. You can find them in GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, sometimes grocery stores will have them too. I would probably try some of the individual ones to see how you like the taste before you drop the money on the large containers.

I've tries EAS too, but it had a chalky taste to me.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Vanilla and chocolate, just because you can add anything to them. But on it's own, pina colada is great! Id just be scared to try to add things
    Strawberry is delish too ;)