Couch to 5K?

Options
Hi everyone..I was just reading about the "Couch to 5K" running program. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it and how realistic this program is for someone who is obese. I just started my weightloss journey last week & have lost 6 lbs so (yay!) but have about 130 more lbs to lose..I enjoy walking and can jog if I really push myself..Is it realistic for me to try this so soon? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I truly believe if we set our minds to it, we can do it. I am 290 and I plan on starting it tomorrow. I don't care how much it hurts I am doing it, and I will complete it. If you would like we can do it together and share our journey together! :)
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    Hello honey!
    I actually was wondering the same thing. I am really wanting to EVENTUALLY enjoy running. Lets start together!:)

-Donna:)
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have just finished the C25K program. I am also considered to be in the obese range. My biggest problem is not to try to go too fast. Just jog. I managed to get through the program no problem. I am working now on increasing the time that I jog. I now start with a brisk 5 minute walk and then jog for 34 minutes. I am now able to do this without stopping. The speed will come later. I feel fantastic after my cooldown and a light lunch. I'll help you along if you like. Send me a friend request.
  • samkaca
    samkaca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I start week 5 tomorrow. I continue to be shocked by myself when I can run longer and longer. I struggled with the initial runs of a minute or so. Now, I'm doing 5min runs easy. It's definitely awesome :D
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I will be starting my C25K program on Tuesday! I did a trial run today and it wasn't too bad. I think everyone can do it!
  • akaivyleaf
    Options
    I started the Couch to 10K program last year (I quit because I didn't like doing it alone) and wound up walking/running with friends. I even completed a 10k race. I say all of that to say simply that the program is very easy to follow and very easy to get you to your goal. It starts slowly and builds so I think you'll be able to complete the goal. If you have to do day 1 a couple of times before moving on to day 2, that's fine too.
  • lockedonna
    Options
    Clinically, I am obese as well...but I was doing the program - I'm not saying it was easy, because I hate running, but I was able to do the workouts and I know that it was hard work for me. My friend and I did it together and were at the end of week 2, but she had a hip injury and had to have surgery so we're waiting for her to be healed so we can start over. I really liked the program though...I can walk fast with no problems...I do it all the time, but running's not my strong point, I'm out of breath and sometimes feel like I can't do it, but I would push through. The couch to 5K was awesome because it slowly works you into running and the workout is short enough to actually BE a workout and get you to be able to run/jog an entire 5K. I can't wait to do it again. My friend had an app for her ipod touch that would show the time in seconds so it was easy for us to know when to walk and when to run/jog again. We were able to fit it into my 1 hour lunch break at work...I ate my lunch at my desk, but I had time to change, do the workout and change back. They also have a facebook page which has so many tips for being healthy and exercising. If you're anything like me though, do it with a friend - I'm good at not doing things like that if I don't have someone counting on me. :)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are worried about this being a bit too hard....check out this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/181591-starting-conservative-c25k-3-1-who-s-with-me

Its a conservative program version and there is a link in the main post that takes you to the layout of that program.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I did the program last year. It took me about 15 weeks to complete, instead of the 9 recommended, because I repeated some of the weeks if it didn't feel comfortable. But I finished it, and now I love running!
  • cscaeer6
    Options
    Hi. I did the "couch to 5K" program a couple of years ago. My husband found the program and showed it me. I had always hated running. I had never even run a full mile. I decided it was something I needed to try, so I started, very skeptically. At the time, I was about 50 pounds overweight. I honestly didn't think I would ever in my life be able to run 3 miles. It was difficult, but once I got up to a mile or so, I was so excited about it. After about 4 months, I ran my first 5K--the whole thing! It was a huge accomplishment for me, and it jumpstarted my exercise program. I would say give it a shot. If you feel like it is just too much, slow it down a bit from the schedule they give you. You don't have to run very fast, either. I think the first couple of months, I could have walked faster than my "run." But the point was that I was "running" as best as I could. I hope this helps, maybe even inspires you! Good luck! (I still have the number I pinned on my shirt from that 5K, it is quite a feeling!)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I just started a few weeks ago and I think it's a great program. There are various groups of people of on MFP doing it; join one for support and take your time with it. Good luck!

This is the link to the group I check in with, but there are several out there on the boards I think.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175390-new-couch-to-5k-c25k-thread-anyone-out-there-in-week-1
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    would love to try this! Would really like to start running! Just have to wait till our weather straightens out! Hopefully by April I can get started! Sooooo ready for winter to be over!
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever heard of it so I Googled it. I'm going to start on Monday. :) Thanks!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I did it last spring and it was awesome!!! Ran 2 5k's last year and now am training for my first 10k!!!! Use to hate running, and had never run a full mile before.. ever! Do it, you won't regret it! Just spread out the runs 3 days per week with one non-running day in between. I agree with others that if you have to do each week twice, that's fine! Just keep going! If you have a partner you will find it more enjoyable, but I loved it.

Today was the first time ever running 5 straight miles.. and I did it! I'm loving being a runner.. and it doesn't matter what you weigh, just sign yourself up for a race and do it! You'll be surprised how awesome runners are... very supportive and welcoming to new runners!
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have just finished the C25K program. I am also considered to be in the obese range. My biggest problem is not to try to go too fast. Just jog. I managed to get through the program no problem. I am working now on increasing the time that I jog. I now start with a brisk 5 minute walk and then jog for 34 minutes. I am now able to do this without stopping. The speed will come later. I feel fantastic after my cooldown and a light lunch. I'll help you along if you like. Send me a friend request.

This. I just finished week 7, and I've now done the 25 minute jog with no problem. It's been great - I started out being barely able to complete week one, week two was nearly the end of me, I swore. Now I've gone from barely able to jog for 90 seconds to jogging 25 solid minutes. I never thought I could. In fact, I saw what week seven had in store for me and absolutely DREADED it. I was so worried that I'd get that far and not be able to make it. And yet, here I am, doing it. 7-1 was hard. It was. So was 5-3 and 6-3. 7-1 was a little easier, and I have (literally) just finished 7-3, and I'm looking forward to 8-1. LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. I can't believe it. But I am. Now it's become less about dragging myself to do the run and get it out of the way, and more about challenging myself, and I'm to a point where I actually enjoy the workout.

As above, though, don't push yourself for speed. That's pretty much a recipe for fail. If you just take it easy, you'll gain the speed as you go. I jog faster now than I did before, and didn't hurt myself along the way - and also did my best to ignore the feelings of 'silly fat girl, shuffling along thinking she's running'... I may not be the fastest around, but I'm able to do it at all, and THAT is a huge step. The speed will come. And, at the rate I'm going, I'm thinking about joining my fitness-conscious, personal trainer brother (as in, he IS a personal trainer, not that he's MY trainer) in a Warrior Dash next summer.

You can do it - one step at a time. ^_^
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am also in the obese range and I am on week 4. I really like the program because it provides structure which is so key for me right now. It is hard but I am amazed at how much more I can do each week. I really like it a lot! It has helped me to branch out to try other types of exercise such as spinning at my gym. I recommend it.:smile:
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 and love it so far. I am 43 yrs old and have not run a mile since HS gym class. I say go for it.

Question for those more experienced: I am doing it on my treadmill until the weather improves and also so I can have some idea how fast I am running. For those that have finished it or closer to the end, what was your speed starting out? I am running at a 12 minute mile pace but am experiencing slight pain in my shins -- don't want shin splints. Is this too fast for just starting out? Thanks.
  • TiredOfBeingRound
    TiredOfBeingRound Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 and love it so far. I am 43 yrs old and have not run a mile since HS gym class. I say go for it.

Question for those more experienced: I am doing it on my treadmill until the weather improves and also so I can have some idea how fast I am running. For those that have finished it or closer to the end, what was your speed starting out? I am running at a 12 minute mile pace but am experiencing slight pain in my shins -- don't want shin splints. Is this too fast for just starting out? Thanks.

Slow down... you don't need to go that fast to start out with! Do you use the podcasts? I did that and the pace was great. I think my first 5k I finished in 41 minutes, the second was 36. My current training plan has me running 14 minute miles to increase endurance.. speed will come with experience! My advice... slow down!!!!
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Slow down... you don't need to go that fast to start out with! Do you use the podcasts? I did that and the pace was great. I think my first 5k I finished in 41 minutes, the second was 36. My current training plan has me running 14 minute miles to increase endurance.. speed will come with experience! My advice... slow down!!!!

Thanks. I will try slowing down. The pace does not seem too taxing at 60 sec run but as I said I don't want to get injured or not be able to progress. I will let you know how it goes.