training for 10k.

Options
Hoping to get some advice on training.
I recently took up running at the start of the new year. I can now run 3 miles without stopping on a good day. My mom was just diagnosed with cancer and my hometown has a 10K that supports our local cancer organization. I really want to run this for my mom. The race is April 9th.
Here's my question: If 3 miles is the absolute max I can currently run, will 6 miles be realistically possible in 6 more weeks?

Replies

• bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    So would it be so bad to walk the extra 3 miles? I have done a 10k for the last 3 yrs and walked most of it.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yes. But of course I can't say unequivocally. I can tell you that for me, I was running 5km (3 miles) max in early January. But I would run 5km 3-4 times a week. Then I started upping my weekly "long" run goal by 1km. Within 6 weeks I was able to run 10km. I am now running 10km 3 times a week. Gradually build up to it and don't let the distance scare you. Each time you go out, just see if you can last a little bit longer, get a little bit further, or run a little bit faster.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The training schedule I use increases one mile per week so you should be fine. It obviously won't be easy, but nothing in life is :) Just push yourself :)

http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    are you training outside or on a treadmill?
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I defintely think you can do it. I'm using the Couch to 10k program on my ipod, and intervals are a must. I don't know if I can even run 3 miles straight, but I can do 3.6 miles right now with intervals, Run 9 min, walk 1 4xs...each week your running time increasing until you reach 10K without stopping. I like it because it only requires 3x a week and I've improved drastically. I have a 10k on April 10th. Give it a try, run 3-4x a week doing 10 mins, 1 min walk, 4 times...Each week increase your running time by 2-3 mins...Good luck!
  • alyssa623
    Options
    are you training outside or on a treadmill?
    I've been training on a treadmill because my city is covered in ice! How much harder is it to run outside than on a treadmill? Have you noticed a big difference?
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i have heard that it is approximate twice as hard running outside compared to a treadmill.
  • superfinnwoman
    Options
    I am training for a 5k and have already done one (i ran and walked that one, trying for an all run in April). I find it easier to run outside than on the treadmill and so does my sister. So it just depends. Get yourself a game plan and you should be fine.