egg plant

Options
i just got a few new cookbooks and im looking threw them to get ideas for the grocery store. and ive came across like 5 recipes that have "egg plant" in the name.
what is egg plant? is it good? the pictures all look good but ive learned that doesnt mean much! haha

Replies

• strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is a vegetable. I am not a huge fan of eggplant personally (the texture really is the issue for me), I have recently started enjoying it more and more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_plant
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant! When cooked the right way it is a great alternative to meat.

I would suggest trying something like eggplant parmesean to make.

istock_000005797543eggplant.jpg
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Give a couple of the recipes a try. I think you will like.
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Eggplant is delicious.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I like it seasoned and grilled with feta.
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    for a quick meal, I fry up (in a non stick pan) some cut egg plant and top with salas...YUM! I also make eggplant mussaka (spelling :P) which is baked eggplant with tomato and onions and spices...very high on the YUM scale!
  • adellepuppy
    Options
    Eggplant is a vegetable. I am not a huge fan of eggplant personally (the texture really is the issue for me), I have recently started enjoying it more and more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_plant

I agree. The people I know that don't like it, don't like the texture of it. It's similar to tofu and other things that have a "different" texture.
  • wannabefitter
    Options
    Eggplant is also known as aubergine. I like to roast it (2cm dice) with a quick drizzle or spray of olive oil... great as part of a roasted vegie salad (I usually use pumpkin, capsicum and zucchini) with quinoa or couscous.

I don't think it's like tofu in texture at all :S
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    hmm. i will have to buy a little bit and try it out.
    thanks for all the input!
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    I recently discovered eggplant and it is DELICIOUS!! We use it in several different ways. My husbands favorite is to dice up the eggplant and saute it with onions and mushrooms in olive oil. We also grill it and make a "healthy" eggplant parmesan.

Eggplant is pretty popular these days and does not have much of a taste, it really takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in/ with. I find that the smaller the eggplant the better it is, when the get really big they get very seedy in the middle.
  • tcampy65
    Options
    I LOVE eggplant! I have since childhood and my mom always made it by thinly slicing the eggplant (japanese is my favorite cause I like the smaller slices better) and dipping them into egg and bread crumbs and frying in butter. I've modified the prep by using egg beaters (or other egg substitute) and either fat free bread crumbs or frosted flakes coating and frying with the I can't believe it's not butter spray. Everyone whose ever tasted it this way has loved it even if they didn't think they would. You can take this preparation to a eggplant parmesan easily as it's the first step. The other way that I had eggplant prepared was inside of lasagne by a friend who doesn't eat meat. I didn't realize it wasn't meat at all...until she told me! I don't have an issue with the texture and I hate tofu and mushrooms for their texture and in my opinion are completely different. I definitely think it's worth trying...maybe you won't like it, but possibly you will discover that you really like it! Also, don't forget to peel the skin off...I don't think the skin would be very tasty....

Tammy
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    'Egg plant' is actually an Aubergine. It amazes me people still don't know what different vegetables are.
    Slice it into thin strips and char-grill. Once char-grilled then layer in a lasagne-like way with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan. This is also awesome with courgette (zucchini for the Americans/whoever)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Please... humour me... :huh:

But HOW is aubergine an alternative to meat??? It's a vegetable. It contains next to no protein. Please explain.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Please... humour me... :huh:

But HOW is aubergine an alternative to meat??? It's a vegetable. It contains next to no protein. Please explain.

THANK YOU FOR THAT COMMENT- a sub to meat must feed us the same factor in protein, vitamins, etc...
    ~CHEF JENN~