How long did it take?

Options
Hi first off like to say i'm new to the site. I normally never weigh myself I just know i've lost weight based on compliments I get every now and then which really is like twice a year. So for those of you that have lost over 20 pounds i'm just wondering how long it took? I am starting to get frusterated i've been working out about 4-5 times a week, eating pretty good meanwhile i've only lost about 30 pounds of fat over the last 2 years and the rest is all muscle toning. I've started using mfp app on my phone just about 3 weeks ago i'm currently set at losing 2 pounds a week but I know that failed cause somedays i'd go over my limit. My initial goal was to lose 20 pounds by the time I vacation to Europe in May (started this 2 months ago) but now it's like time is running out and I feel like i'm slowly losing, meanwhile I look at my already skinny friends who never go to the gym and eat nothing but junk lose 10 pounds within a month. *sigh* just needed to vent. All together I want to lose 30 more pounds but it just feels so out of reach.

ps. anyone else annoyed that just when they've lost some weight and are starting to feel fine you have that one person that makes a "heavy" comment?

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are more here for a quick fix. You really need to not take that approach, it will take time but you will get to your goal. Plus you say you are working out 4-5 days a week, are you putting that time in MFP? Are you eating your exercise calories? If not you should be doing that because you are likely not eating enough.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just keep taking care of YOU. Don't get distracted by what others are accomplishing or not accomplishing. It is hard sometimes because we all have that "here and now" mentality. Be patient with yourself and watch what you can do.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've lost 116lbs since January 2009. That works out to about a pound a week. (Loss was much quicker in the beginning, then slowed down... it's about .5 lbs a week now.) Note also that I probably started at a MUCH heavier weight than you... and had lots more to lose!

You can do it! If anyone makes any comments to you, just ignore them--you're in the process of working on your weight, but they're a jerk and that's a lot harder to fix. :smile:
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When I started in August, I refused to give myself a time limit. I knew how much weight I wanted to lose (55-60 lbs) and decided I'd just go with it. My first 20 lbs was gone in almost exactly 2 months. I've lost another 17 lbs from November to now. During this entire journey (so far) I've had many weeks where I'd lose nothing or only a few ounces. I even had a week where I gained 2 lbs. I refused to let it get to me.

I had tried doing this a few years ago and set up all sorts of dates to be "this size". I failed miserably because I would be so disappointed when I didn't hit my goal weight by that date. I ended up giving up on the entire process.
    This time around I am just going with the flow. Now, when I hit a certain weight or size I treat myself to something (new clothes, shoes, etc).

Also, I did a manual set up for my goals. I was set at 1200 calories, losing 1 lb a week. I changed it manually to 1275, losing approximately .8 lbs a week. I am never hungry and I exercise 4 days a week. In the last 3 weeks I've lost about 3 lbs and I'm okay with that because I know I'm also losing inches. I went from a size 14 to 12 pants in 2 weeks!

I hope this helps in some way. Don't beat yourself up if you don't meet your goals in a "timely manner". It takes time. :)
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    To start, it always amazes me when I hear of what seems like unsolicited feedback about a person's weight. It's always nice to hear the, "Wow! It looks like you've lost weight." But why would anybody say, "Gee, it looks like you've put on a few pounds."? Unless it's a close friend and you have that kind of openness, I am just flummoxed when I hear of such things.

Anyway, I started back in June of last year and I lost my first 21 pounds in 11 weeks. I hit 32 pounds down in 16 weeks. And was down 38 pounds at the end of 2010. Thank goodness I used a spreadsheet to keep track of these numbers so I can go back and look at them. I just wish I'd been as judicious about keeping track of my measurements because it's my shape that's been changing more than my weight over the course of the last two months. Since the beginning of the year, I have been working out pretty hard using Beachbody's Insanity program. I am getting stronger and building more muscle, and the fat burn is about equal because I am not really gaining a lot of weight, but neither am I loosing it.

The question is, do I see this as success or failure? I answer emphatically that this is a success. I am getting into better shape than I have been in since I was in high school. I look at pictures from the same time last year and I know that I am looking at a different me than I am now.

Looking at the trend on my chart, it is very easy to see that my weight loss is slowing down, but that's okay because i have less to lose. I am just going to say that I think it's a remarkable achievement that you have stuck with this for two years and lost 30 pounds of fat. Think of what that does for your body to not be lugging around that extra weight. You are a success, my friend! Focus on that, and start focusing on non-scale victories. Take your measurements so you can continue to see that your body is changing. Looking and comparing yourself to other people who seem better off than you will always lead to misery, and chances are you are not seeing the whole picture. Everybody has problems whether it is with health, relationships, or whatever. Some struggles are more apparent than others. Just focus on you and learn to see the success you've had.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Cheers! To grouch 201. He is absolutely right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To start, it always amazes me when I hear of what seems like unsolicited feedback about a person's weight. It's always nice to hear the, "Wow! It looks like you've lost weight." But why would anybody say, "Gee, it looks like you've put on a few pounds."? Unless it's a close friend and you have that kind of openness, I am just flummoxed when I hear of such things.

Anyway, I started back in June of last year and I lost my first 21 pounds in 11 weeks. I hit 32 pounds down in 16 weeks. And was down 38 pounds at the end of 2010. Thank goodness I used a spreadsheet to keep track of these numbers so I can go back and look at them. I just wish I'd been as judicious about keeping track of my measurements because it's my shape that's been changing more than my weight over the course of the last two months. Since the beginning of the year, I have been working out pretty hard using Beachbody's Insanity program. I am getting stronger and building more muscle, and the fat burn is about equal because I am not really gaining a lot of weight, but neither am I loosing it.

The question is, do I see this as success or failure? I answer emphatically that this is a success. I am getting into better shape than I have been in since I was in high school. I look at pictures from the same time last year and I know that I am looking at a different me than I am now.

Looking at the trend on my chart, it is very easy to see that my weight loss is slowing down, but that's okay because i have less to lose. I am just going to say that I think it's a remarkable achievement that you have stuck with this for two years and lost 30 pounds of fat. Think of what that does for your body to not be lugging around that extra weight. You are a success, my friend! Focus on that, and start focusing on non-scale victories. Take your measurements so you can continue to see that your body is changing. Looking and comparing yourself to other people who seem better off than you will always lead to misery, and chances are you are not seeing the whole picture. Everybody has problems whether it is with health, relationships, or whatever. Some struggles are more apparent than others. Just focus on you and learn to see the success you've had.
    [/quote]
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    sometimes people are just tactless, rude, or plain dumb. there will always be one of them blurting stuff out without thinking. my sister gets asked if she's pregnant at work all the time, and she's MAYBE 5 lbs heavier than she could be. on a bad day... just ignore them :)
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    sometimes people are just tactless, rude, or plain dumb. there will always be one of them blurting stuff out without thinking. my sister gets asked if she's pregnant at work all the time, and she's MAYBE 5 lbs heavier than she could be. on a bad day... just ignore them :)

Ever heard of Brian Regan. His rule about the pregnant thing is, "Don't guess at that ever ever ever, ever-ever-ever, ever ever ever ever ever ever..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoUcx6BJV2M Skip to 2:30 for the relevant portion or just listen to the whole thing because the whole thing is gold!
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You guys are absolutely amazing. It's so nice to have people to talk with about this and feel comfortable. I've never been skinny in my life i've always been the "fat" one even in my family everyone is thin as a tooth pick except for my father we have the same body type and he managed to lose 47 pounds over the last 6 months. I've always been active since I was young but in high school I became sedentary. Decided my last year that I would start getting into shape for graduation and have been attending the gym regularly since which will make it 3 and a half years now. I know it's best to take it day by day but I think my body is going through a resistance period, it usually does it from time to time not to mention days where i'll get completely lazy and go wild. I should have better rephrased that I care more about inches then weight to me I could careless if I weigh 180 pounds and look like a movie star since it could all be muscle. Gradual weight loss is also best because you keep it off vs rapid loss. I know a lot of people gaining and losing the same 15 pounds each month. Thanks a lot for the words of wisdom.

Yes the comments the ones I hear the most are "you're moms the skinnier version of you" or one I heard from a coworker two weeks ago was "look you have a big fat belly like me" infront of our other coworkers