Breakfast advice...

Options
Hello all you lovely MFP active users, (see how i'm trying to butter you all up)

I need help!! Here's my situation...

Breakfast if eaten before about 10am generally makes me sick, of course, if i eat after 10am, i'm not hungry enough to eat lunch :ohwell:

I've tried so much over my life, nothing has worked, a few weeks ago i decided to try again.... I tried fuit but that didn't work, anyway for the last few days i've been eating alpen light cerel bars at around 9 and holding them down without too much discomfort, but they are high in sugars and rubbish, and i was hoping u guys would have some ideas for similar type things that i could try, with no dried fruit in, i dont know if its the oaty grainy type things that i can stomach or what.

i'm confused, help me.....

also i'm in the uk and dairy intolerant :cry:

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't have many suggestions to offer. I do know that if I eat anything with sugar in it for breakfast, then I do not feel well. I often eat nontraditional breakfast foods, like a peanut butter sandwich.
  • laurakrowe
    Options
    maybe this is silly - but why not skip "typical breakfast foods" and just eat something that more resembles lunch?
    or ... maybe a smoothie? you can do all sorts of smoothies w/ fruit or veggies.
    I do not eat/drink any dairy myself - i like doing a smoothie w/ almond or soy milk and a banana and maybe a spoon of peanut butter.
  • lozzy05
    lozzy05 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK too and have just bought some Belvita breakfast biscuits (on offer at Morrisons at the mo), I have these if short of time and on the run. They do 2 types and they're both really nice. I don't have a problem with breakfast but maybe these might help you. Good luck :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Charli666
    Options
    I'd never really thought of completely non traditional breakfast foods before, and that smoothie sounds scrummy, i'm gonna keep trying! i dont allow myself peanut butter, its in my bad list, u think it would be okay to have some?
  • Charli666
    Options
    I'm in the UK too and have just bought some Belvita breakfast biscuits (on offer at Morrisons at the mo), I have these if short of time and on the run. They do 2 types and they're both really nice. I don't have a problem with breakfast but maybe these might help you. Good luck :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks, i've tried these, and whilst they are soooo scrummmmy, i cant hold them down, but thanks sooo much for your suggestion =D
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter gets a bad rep as it has fat, but it is really healthy food in moderation. The fats that it has are the good kinds.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    OK so what time do you actually get up/ If you can't eat before 10am, how long after getting up is that? Have you started being quite active? Do you have a hot drink when you first get up before you shower or dress? It may be as simple as your digestive system has not woken. Try & have a hot drink when waking...sip hot water with lemon juce...tea..coffee anything....then after about 30 mins try some food...if you can tolerate the cereal bars then oatmeal might be good, its very easy on the stomach.
  • Charli666
    Options
    OK so what time do you actually get up/ If you can't eat before 10am, how long after getting up is that? Have you started being quite active? Do you have a hot drink when you first get up before you shower or dress? It may be as simple as your digestive system has not woken. Try & have a hot drink when waking...sip hot water with lemon juce...tea..coffee anything....then after about 30 mins try some food...if you can tolerate the cereal bars then oatmeal might be good, its very easy on the stomach.

I usually get up around 6.30 so i'm giving it a while to kick into gear, I never drink hot drinks, but i like green tea, so i could add that in and try that. Thankyou
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not peanut butter is not peanut butter. It all depends on what kind you buy. Here in the US, we have Skippy or Jiff Natural Peanut Butter, which really do taste good and don't need to be stirred like crazy before having a decent consistency. I don't know which brands you have in the UK, but natural is the way to go; also, almond butters are good for you.

As for breakfast, my friend LOVES Shakeology, which has a ton of good nutrition in it and can be made using a variety of ingredients; you don't have to use milk. It is a bit pricey ($4 a packet here), but again the nutrition is off the charts so you feel great all day. Sorry that's all the advice I have. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • Charli666
    Options
    Peanut butter gets a bad rep as it has fat, but it is really healthy food in moderation. The fats that it has are the good kinds.

i always thought it was really bad, i'm gonna add it in a little now - thanks, you've made my day, i :heart: peanut butter :happy:
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Since you are eating nothing now, start very slowly. Perhaps a quarter or one eight piece of good toast. Maybe a glass of juice. Or basically anything you think you might like.
    Or you could try a non traditional breakfast food like beer. ;-)
  • Charli666
    Options
    Since you are eating nothing now, start very slowly. Perhaps a quarter or one eight piece of good toast. Maybe a glass of juice. Or basically anything you think you might like.

Beer for breakfast, if only!!!
  • Charli666
    Options
    Thanks guys, you've given me a few more ideas to try, i guess its trial and error, and i need to start slowly and work my way up, i'm definately gonna try some of these things =D x
  • llstrength
    llstrength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat raw veggies for breakfast or oatmeal. I can't eat anything else early in the morning! I'm the same way, if I eat after ten, I'm ok, but anything other than raw veggies and oatmeal make me sick if eaten earlier in the morning. I don't know what it is.
  • Jess3Loves
    Jess3Loves Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying to skip the traditional breakfast foods.
    Sometimes my fav breakfast is a hamburger patty with ketchup, lol.

If the bars seem to work for you, try a Luna bar...they are pretty tasty and satisfying.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Mmm I may have to consider a non traditional breakfast food like beer ;-) I love peanut butter! I don't eat a lot of meat and it helps with a little protein boost as well I think all things are fine generaly as long as taken in moderation.
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    peanut butter (there's a nice "wholefoods" one is asda) with ryvita and banana. i like it so much, sometimes i have it for dinner :)
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    have you looked into why you are so sick in the morning if you eat??? Is your blood sugar to low? Maybe you need higher fats, but in small amounts.....I work 12 hour night shifts, so a traditionalbreakfast for me is always unusual......I am not hungry in the morning......So i don't eat in the morning.....not until 8:30 or 9.....then i eat more of a small lunch.....good luck!!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I so get your situation....but unlike you, I GOTTA have my cup o' joe. Somedays, I've been able to tolerate a handful of almonds w/it...great start to the morning.

Also, I usu get to the gym by 8:00 and I'm finding that a protein powder mix w/organic vanilla soy works wonders & my workouts have seen a major boost :tongue:

My daughter (in cutting down her cals) heads to college before breakfast and has a little pasta bowl around 1030, that'll get her thru 'til dinner w/ a healthy snack in betw. :heart:
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    so sorry, I eat oatmeal, banana & milk nearly every morning.

I buy bananas at reduced price when they are very ripe, cut them up & freeze them for smoothies.

For a simple morning smoothie on the go, I put in my blender a cup of milk, frozen banana, a spoon of chocolate sugar free pudding mix or SF vanilla pudding mix and half cup of dry oatmeal or Fiber One. This is really good & healthy. When I want a treat I add a spoon of low fat peanut butter.

What about egg, veggies, salsa & buretto wraps?