"Economical" ahem "cheap" ahem "cost-effective" exercise ...

Options
I want to set up a regular exercise program but can't afford a gym. What do you guys do that's cheap or free? I'm not a runner, but that *might* be an option ...

I'm seeking both cardio and strength-training options. If I don't have weights, well, what can I lift? Are there other sources for information out there?

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    They sell those resistance bands, not only do you not need a lot of space, but are pretty inexpensive and you can get in a decent workout. I use them when I travel for work.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    if you want to start to run...check out www.c25k.com as a great program to start running...

there are many youtube videos that have great strength training tips and "programs" if you don't want to go buy a dvd or go to the gym. Many are for in home.

If you don't have weights, try getting an empty bottle of water or bottle of some sort and fill it with dirt or sand. You can also find some strength training tips that work without weights (i.e. pushups, sit ups...).
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Walking and weights. A couple weights to do strength training every other day combined with nice hour walks (especially if you have some hills) can do a body wonders.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    YMCA is income based... my membership is $19 a month, and considering I bathe there more than 1/2 the time (my daughter and I) the pass has paid for it'self by practically elliminating my water bill.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    The Firm Bootcamp dvd.
    Couch to 5 K
    100 pushup challenge. (They also have a sit-up and squat challenge online)
  • randi50
    randi50 Posts: 112
    Options
    If you don't want to do the outside walking pick up a Leslie Sansone dvd. My mil and fil have lost over 100lbs doing her videos. I think you can watch some on youtube also. I just picked up two this week and I really like them.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to work out at home Netflix has some good workout DVDs and on instant play. It's nice because you can always try new workouts.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    dont know if you have cable but ours offers some really good work outs on there for free. also i have been told that there are some workout videos on youtube.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Public libraries often carry workout DVDs as well...
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    In summer I often cycle to a "keep-fit" trail in the woods.
    It is great, because it is completely free of charge.

Maybe a local childrens playground will work for you, too.

There are many possibilities, like doin pullups/chinups on the highbar in all variations.
    Climbing a net or moving hand over hand up a rope or a long a "horizontal-ladder" (body hanging down...don't know how this is called :smile:).
    Doing situps/crunches on a slide to increase the intensity.
    Doing pushups with you feet on a trunk or bench.

Or you can look out for fitness videos on youtube. A few really experienced trainers are vlogging (=video logging) there :wink:

Since you are living in Portland (isn't it a bicycle friendly town?) there may be a chance that you could participate in "Cross Fit" workouts. This is a common underground fitness "thing" in the US :smile:
    You should google about that and maybe find local groups. They usually meet in some public place like a park and workout together with basic elements.
  • leigh33ca
    leigh33ca Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Some good free exercises are: walking, biking, swimming (depending on the season), cross country skiing, snow showing (depends on the season). If walking outside on a trail, use the bench for squats, push ups and stretches.

For items to do in your home. Use juice cans or can veggies/water, etc as weights. Use your stair at home and go up and down one at a time till you go all the way to the top.

Rent exercise DVD's from your local library or borrow from a friend. Download from online. Try Bob Harpers (MyTrainerBob.com) site and they are free to view. He has some good cardio as well.

If income allows reward yourself with resist bands, dvd, exercise ball.

I lost 45lbs without joining a gym. I used my sons Wii, biked, walked, play tennis, used dvds. I went to join a gym and they said you can't loose weight on your own and I said well I did. Showed them! lol

Hope these help!
    I want to set up a regular exercise program but can't afford a gym. What do you guys do that's cheap or free? I'm not a runner, but that *might* be an option ...

I'm seeking both cardio and strength-training options. If I don't have weights, well, what can I lift? Are there other sources for information out there?
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Our local Library and video rental store have free rentals sports and fitness DVD / VHS. Netflix has some great work out options. A walk outside, or in the store if it is icky out. Also if you search You Tube / Google you can find yoga, stretch, pilates, bellydance workout, basic dance, and aerobic videos.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv is great. It's a blog that has a new workout almost every day. Most of it is using your own body weight. She does occasionally use a few pieces of equipment, like a pull-up bar, but I usually just skip those or use a modification. I'm putting together a beginner routine because I need the structure, but some people follow her every day.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    if you want to start to run...check out www.c25k.com as a great program to start running...

there are many youtube videos that have great strength training tips and "programs" if you don't want to go buy a dvd or go to the gym. Many are for in home.

If you don't have weights, try getting an empty bottle of water or bottle of some sort and fill it with dirt or sand. You can also find some strength training tips that work without weights (i.e. pushups, sit ups...).

Great minds think alike! I was going to suggest the C25K plan (it's awesome) and mention using milk jugs for weight lifting. Milk jugs have convenient handles and you can adjust the amount of water in them as needed. Also makes you control the lifting because otherwise the liquid sloshes and makes it harder and less controlled.
  • ropedancer
    Options
    I use the library for most of my workout DVD needs. I also buy used DVDs on half.com. One thing I want to mention is even if your library does not have a great selection, it may have access to a lot more through inter library loan. A way you can find this out is by going to your library's website. Unless you live in a rather rural are, you should have access to an online catalog, which will show you your individual library's holdings as well as all of the holding's in the consortium that your library is a part of. If you live in a rural area, don't give up hope, as library's will often have other methods of inter-library loan. If your librarian's worth her/his salt, they should be able to help you out with this.

The library is also a great source for other fitness/heath related needs. You can take out cookbooks, fitness magazines, and other great resources.

Ah, I'm such a librarian :)
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I love the library!!

Also, you can check out Freecycle.com to request workout equipment or DVDs. I only have 1,400 Freecycle members in my group and there's offers for workout stuff on there all the time. I'm sure the Portland area will have a ton of members.

Oh, I might have a couple of yoga/pilate VHS tapes (if you have a player) that I could send you...they're just collecting dust and I haven't put them up on Freecycle. Let me know!
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I will tell you, when I began running, I could not run 30 seconds and now I have worked up to 2.25 miles. When I began everything hurt and it was awful. However, if you do try it, you will feel stronger and in more control of your life. I strongly recommend running, nothing will get you sweatier, nastier and warn out than running. The other option is walking, it is a great exercise and you can speed walk, it is free and you are able to be one with nature. Also if you google workouts you will be exposed to a ton of options, youtube is great for finding workouts and often there are workout videos that are free from the library or netflix.

Also make sure you look all around, I was able to find a really nice gym with great equipment although no pool for only $10 A month. No frills or classes but they do have lots of cardio equipment, weights and a circuit. So really check around and make the phone calls because you might have something affordable around that you were not aware of previously.
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    jillian michael's dvds are $9 each at walmart. her "30 day shred" dvd is a popular one. it's a mix of cardio and strength. you'll need a pair of 3 or 5 lb hand weights (walmart, about $13 for a pair). i also really love "banish fat, boost metabolism". you could buy these two dvds and a set of handweights for less than $35 and get great results with them (and tracking your calories) alone.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to work out at home Netflix has some good workout DVDs and on instant play. It's nice because you can always try new workouts.
    woah, awesome idea! I have netflix and never even considered that...DUH! lol Thanks!
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    woah, awesome idea! I have netflix and never even considered that...DUH! lol Thanks!

netflix has the 2 dvds i listed, and if you're just joining the first month is free!