Hips..how to get rid of them.

Options
I'm a curvy girl. Not just the fat parts, I mean if I didn't have the fat I would still have hips and boobs, my shape would be hourglass, just because of my mom. (gotta love her!)

However, I'm having problems with my hips. It's hard to explain, but when you look at them you can clearly see the spot where the fat has gathered throughout the years.
What I want to know is what are some good workouts and exercizes that will do good things to your hips? I know there is no such things as working only on one spot, but I'd like to find something to do once or twice a week that can target certain areas. Such as hips and stomach.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For me walking seems to be my key to dropping inches around the hips. I've lost 5.5" I believe since starting 1-1-11. Walking pulls it off all over but does get to the hips and love handles...good luck
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones? She basically works the entire body but focuses on abs, muffin top area, saddle bag area, butt, and all the core muscles. I still have my belly on the front (will have to get into heavy weight lifting and switch my nutrient ratios to burn that off ). But my muffin top is pretty much gone and last night I notice that I'm getting that slight indentation on the side of butt. And boy has it perked up! And you will burn calories because she makes sure to get your heart rate up, too. I'm 5'2" and 123.4 and I burn around 300-350 calories per session.

Aerobic exercise burns muscle mass along with fat so you want to do plenty of strength exercises along with getting plenty of protein to keep from burning off lean muscle. She uses 3-lb weights in the DVD but I have since switched up to 5-lb and will keep switching it up. That muscle mass is what burns fat through the day.
  • DimenaZhena
    Options
    I've been doing oblique strength exercises. I even do some for my lower back and sides, too. :)
  • michbiase
    Options
    You are right, you can't reduce fat in one specific area. I have been told the best way to reduce your hips is work all the muscle groups around them. Focus on butt lifting, quads, hamstings. When all these muscles get tight, they reshape the hips. Good luck
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    walking does it for me , but I have adding in my walking with uphill walks, htting the local trails and all so I put more force into my walks to work those hips.
    I lost 1 inch in 2 weeks by doing this.
    I also walk a min of 1 .5 hours 3 x a week
  • lizdwolf
    lizdwolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pilates! Get a beginner mat workout DVD and watch your butt, hips, tummy melt!
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise! It works all of it - especially those trouble spots specifically for women! You'll have the Time Of Your Life in class and see results! Good Luck to you!
  • lkkyer
    lkkyer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been using the elliptical and treadmill on a high incline (11), and I can tell a huge difference in my butt and hips, eventhough I've only lost 8 lbs. My son even noticed it yesterday, and he's a brutally honest 9 year old.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was looking for the same thing. If you google search you will find some targeted exercises for that area. It will really be working the long thigh muscles on the sides. The fat will not disappear from the exercises but from your diet, but the exercise will tighten up the muscles and firm it up.

Some of the curviness is genetics, but we can tighten up what we have. :o)