Are calories burned doing strength training?

Options
Elbee1
Elbee1 Posts: 2,078 Member
I'm a little confused. Are only the calories burned doing cardiovascular being taken into account here? Are calories burned doing strength training?

Thanks.

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I do a class called Body Pump which is a choreographed strength training. I wear my HRM and record my calories burned. I have also done some circuit classes in the fitness center and my HRM is also elevated there. If you are doing low weights and not very many reps you probably aren't elevating your HR to have a significant calorie burn.

BUT the big advantage is that st helps develop your muscles so you will burn more fat and less lean tissue on a calorie restricted diet and lean tissue/muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does. You really can't go wrong with strength training!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Building muscle does burn fat, but I think it's hard to calculate how many calories are burned. Calories burned is calculated by your heart rate, so if you would like to know how many calories you burn doing strength workouts you can buy a heart rate monitor. I just purchased one so have as accurate calculations of calories burned as possible.
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Oops, never mind. I just noticed that things like sit-ups and push-ups are listed as calisthenics in the cardiovascular exercise.
    Sorry, excuse the post. I'm a newbie.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I do a class called Body Pump which is a choreographed strength training. I wear my HRM and record my calories burned. I have also done some circuit classes in the fitness center and my HRM is also elevated there. If you are doing low weights and not very many reps you probably aren't elevating your HR to have a significant calorie burn.

BUT the big advantage is that st helps develop your muscles so you will burn more fat and less lean tissue on a calorie restricted diet and lean tissue/muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does. You really can't go wrong with strength training!
    we have a body pump class in our gym too.....i <3 it
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Just FYI: if you do weights AFTER cardio your heart rate will already be up and you will burn more during weight training than you would otherwise :)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you wear a heart rate monitor, you see how many calories you burn and enter them yourself under cardio. Or you can use the MFP estimates.

From http://www.myfitnesspal.com/faq

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Of course but the burn will be less compared to doing cardio. However strength training will rev up your metabolism for hours after so you still get a good burn :)
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There is a category for "srtrength training (weight lifting, weight training)" under cardio, I didn't notice it till recently!
  • showstopper21us
    Options
    Calories do burn while your doing everything. They just don't track the site. Sometime I just put a few calories in manually for it..:wink:
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just FYI: if you do weights AFTER cardio your heart rate will already be up and you will burn more during weight training than you would otherwise :)

Not necessarily. If you've 'exhausted' your muscles by doing cardio first, not only will you have a less effective lifting session, it could actually be more dangerous. When your muscles are already fatigued from running/elliptical/cycling/whatever they're less stable and focused when you ask them to take on a load with repetition and because you're already tired you're going to be less focused on good form. Plus, there's always a chance of dropping something and really hurting yourself. (Not that there's not always that chance anyway, but you're increasing the odds of a boo boo when you do something hard after tiring yourself out first.)

Always lift first and then do your cardio if you're going to do the two immediately back to back. It will increase your endurance and you're less prone to serious injury if you do them in that order. If you're going to leave a decent gap (couple hours or more) between types of exercise, then do them in whichever order you like. But for back to back its safer and more effective to do weights first :)
  • Elbee1
    Options
    You all are wonderful! I am a newbie and just saw where we just need to add things like sit-ups and push-ups in the cardiovascular section. These 2 are listed under calisthenics and I just did not know to look for it there. However; you all have given me a lot of great info and food for though. :)

That leads me to a question that perhaps y'all can answer.

As mentioned, I'm new. I want to do the couch 2 5k (conservative) and also have been doing a week of beginner Turbo Jam. I want to do both of these. Can I do one after another and, if so, does it matter which one I do first?

Thank you.
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Goodness, I wish there was a way to alter posts... I meant to be asking... does it matter whether I do the walking/running first or the Turbo Jam DVD? Can I do them one after the other in the mornings?
  • CherylYMerritt
    Options
    FYI there is an edit button on your post in case you need to make a change, bottom right corner:)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You can log in "strength training" under "cardio." At my weight, it says I'm burning about 4 calories a minute....
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Thank you, Cheryl! How could I have missed that?!
  • CherylYMerritt
    Options
    lol! i had to ask how to do the quote box (it is there too!)