Do men burn more calories than women?

Options
Still_Sossy
Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
I have friends that are men and they post crazy calorie burn numbers. Do they burn more than women?

Replies

• CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, men have more testosterone which promotes muscle and burns calories faster. So their metabolic rate is much faster than that of a womans.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Only slightly and that is estimated to only be because of having a higher muscle mass. If you're comparing a smaller man and a larger women, the larger woman will burn more. A petite woman, however, will have a hard time burning as much as a large man.
  • improvstitute
    Options
    Men also have more lean muscle mass. That keeps our metabolic rate higher. That is a catch 22 for a lot of women because they feel that if they add more muscle they will add bulk and look less "feminine". For that reason, a lot of women avoid weight training. However, you can lift weights without adding bulk. Just use a lower weight and add more reps. That will add strength and endurance w/o size.
  • jksn2nlove
    Options
    It's because men have a leaner body mass then woman (they have more muscle than fat). The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is.
    The average woman is 20~30% body fat (20 being the low point) while the average man is usually around 10~20%.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_men_burn_more_calories_than_women#ixzz1FBt9NYg1
  • andrewferk
    Options
    Like improvstitute states, lean muscle mass is a reason men burn more calories. I think it's for about every pound of muscle, you burn about 10 extra calories an hour. I have definitely noticed this as I have been lifting weights 2-4 times a week for the last six months; and now eat more calories than I used to, but I'm not gaining weight. This is because the extra lean muscle I have gained over the six months is helping burn more calories.

You do not need to bulk up, but toning your muscles will help burn extra calories if you stick with it.
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    Unfortunately, they do tend to burn more calories daily than women. It's a pretty noticeable difference too. For example:

A woman, age 24, 5'8'', 220 lbs, with a lightly active lifestyle burns about 2,500 calories per day. A man, age 24, 5'8'', 220 lbs, with a lightly active lifestyle burns about 3,000 calories per day.

This is why men tend to lose weight faster than women. The cause, of course, is genetic. Men are genetically predisposed to have a high percentage of muscle and not as much fat while we women are genetically predisposed to have more fat and less muscle in order to support our reproductive system in case of pregnancy.

There is, as with everything else in the universe, an overlap area though. There are some women who have more muscle than some men who burn more calories per day than some men, and lose weight faster than some men. Nothing in this life adheres strictly to a gender-dichotomous nature, because the gender dichotomy that most people think exists simply doesn't. This is why the "overlap area" exists.

Generally speaking, however, men do burn more calories per day, and lose weight faster than women. There are ways that we can increase our burn rates and our weight loss rates though. A good way to do that is by increasing our protein intake whether through shakes, bars, dairy, meat, etc. This will aid in muscle building. We can also do weight training and strength training to increase our muscle mass. So, the playing field can be evened out. ;)

I know I went into a couple more things than what you asked about, but it's all related. I hope this answers your question to your liking.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    And I always say that I burn crazy huge numbers just because it takes a lot of horsepower to get this big guy up to highway speed. :)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I used to use a calculator to calculate burned calories as my hrm only gave average bpm. Putting in age, sex, average bpm, weight, vo2 max. One day I accidently clicked M instead of F and they burn signficantly more calories with the everything else the same.