moms that a c-section

Options
I have seen pictures of moms that have a completely flat tummy after a c-section. Now, I know that I have this "flap" (for lack of a better term) that goes over my scar. Will this go away as I loose weight or will that alway be there no matter how much weight I loose? If anybody knows or has the same problem I would love to hear from you!

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    hmmm I would like to know this also.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section to and mine has got smaller but has not gone away. :( not to worry about right now because we are trying for our 2 nd bundle of joy. But I think women who have flat tummy had a tummy tuck.
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    i had 2 c-sections, 15-months apart. after i lost my first 20-pounds on this weight loss adventure, lower tummy has lost inches, but unfortunately doesn't have the appearance of "flatter".....well, to me anyways. i'm hoping and praying that it will flatten out as my weight continues to drop.......but i hear ya....i have similar goals!
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you :( I really hate my "c-section flap"
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's pretty individual as to how your body responds. Personally, I haven't had a C-section, but I have had multiple abdominal surgeries where my stomach muscles were cut to allow access to the female organs. After allowing the muscles that have been cut to heal, a flat stomach is possible through exercise. Losing the fat slowly is the best option to allow the skin to shrink with the body and your "flap" to reduce with you. However, if your "flap" is actually excess skin and not a lot of body fat, then it will be harder and sometimes impossible to lose the flap without surgery. I think this is why women who've had c-sections seem to have a harder time losing it. Since they lost a lot of weight at once when the baby was born, the skin didn't have the opportunity to catch up. The best thing you can do is to make sure you do ab work at least 1-2 times a week (not daily!), cardio 5 times a week to burn the fat, and if you reach your goal weight and still have a flap, call a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck. :wink:
  • peytonsmommi
    Options
    I have this also I call it an "apron", and also hate it. I had 2 c-sections 13 months apart, and my youngest is 14 months old now. I have noticed it is getting smaller but I don't think mine will go away completely. I am doing the 30 day shred right now but once I am done will be doing an alternate of Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones and Burn Fat Boost Metabolism along with her 6 week 6 pack a few days a week. I am hoping I can lose all my extra weight and tone my stomach enough that the "apron" is not noticeable.
    I don't think mine will ever be gone competely but do hope it skrinks alots.
  • chazsucks
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it depends on loads of factors including how fast you lose the baby weight. If you lose the weight slowly but steadily whilst toning at the same time you usually end up with a flat tummy after a section. I know a couple of peoplethat lost weight quickly after and now are struggling to get rid of the overhang... I hate my 'flap' too!! Lol xx
  • krisvtx8777
    Options
    Agreed-I've had 4 c-sections. Although that overhang is tiny now, I think it will always be there!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I had a c seaction with my youngest. At my fittest, the "apron" never fully went away. I ended up getting a tummy tuck - now my belly is always flat, even if the rest of me is fat! LOL
  • mgodde
    mgodde Posts: 10
    Options
    Had a c-section with second child and it took some time to heal completely and flatten out but it did. As time has passed the scar has become flatter and less discolored. How old are you? I was in my late twenties when I had the c-section. Fourteen years later the scar is an indentation but I do not have a flap. I've had two more children vaginally since that birth in 1996. I always had a flat stomach within a year and a half of giving birth until I gave birth to my last child four yeas ago. Now I'm working to rectify that. I'm not sure if I can given how many times I've stretched out everything. Give it time and work those abs.:wink:
  • lisaloo85
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with the problem!
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    after my 1st c-section i worked my butt off and managed to get rid of the apron. i mean it wasn't perfectly flat, but my stomach never has been. now i am just trying to work off my apron from my c-section with my twins. seems to be a lil bit harder this time