Has anyone had ....

Options
jenfunfur
jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
laser eye surgery?
My dad has offered to pay for me to have it to cure my severe astigmatism & was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share.
I know it's totally random thing to be asking but i know you guys will be honest & supportive.
I want to make the right decision but i don't just want to take the opticians opinion, anything good or bad would really help me make a decision
Thanks x

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    My husband has had it and it helped him for awhile,but we have since found out he has a gentic eye disease that will cause him to go blind withen a few years and that is why his eyes continued to go bad after the laser eye surgery
    Ive know a few others that have done it that have had nothing but good things to say about it
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Best decision I ever made! It's totally worth it.
  • lindainak
    Options
    bump
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    When getting surgery you must always weigh the risks. If something should go wrong by chance, how would your quality of life be affected? I decided not to get laser surgery because I'd rather deal with contacts the rest of my life and have healthy eyes than take that little tiny risk that I'll see halos and need eye drops and never be comfortable again for the rest of my life. I met someone whose laser surgery went bad. Her life is absolutely miserable because there is no follow-on treatment to help her.
  • losing4myself
    Options
    I drove my dad to have his done about three years ago now. We were there maybe an hour tops for the entire waiting, procedure, etc. He has had no problems and can see perfect. My dad HATES hospitals, docs, etc. so I was surprised he did it but he said it was no biggy...
  • mandykasase
    Options
    Astigmatism is a condition were you eyeball is not round but slightly oval. Because of this the lens in your eye does not focus on objects properly. There is no cure for astigmatism, surgey can be used to eleviate this condition by shaving the layer of your lens to help it focus better. It works for a while but eventualy the layer will grow back again. In some cases it takes years but it is not a cure. If you are merely short or long sighted, then surgery id great but having astigmatic condition means that the surgey will not render you with perfect vision but it will be better than not having any. if your sight is really bad then go with it, but don't let them convince you that they are curing you.
    I worked in an opticians were we offered laser eye surgery so i know what they tell customers to get them to sign.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've had it done and I love it - no regrets!

But I had heard that it can't cure astigmatism, sorry.
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well as it stands my eyes are getting worse every year & the special presciptiond cost a small fortune.
    I understand that they can't guarantee perfect vision but right now i struggle to find my glasses in the morning or do my make up.
    According to the literature from a few companies & the opthalmic society astigmatism can be fixed by lase depending on the prescription.
    I've booked free consultations at 2 different companies so that i can compare what they say.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I had it in December and my eyes continue to get better. I only had a mild astigmatism but I have 20/15 vision now. I'm extremely happy with the surgery and post treatment. It took about a month for the full effects to be noticeable. I could see well immediately after but not as well as I can see now. It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Definitely get evaluated as much as you need to and go with a doctor that you feel comfortable with. Ask tons of questions about every little thing you can think of and definitely don't do it if you're not comfortable. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    For those who have had the surgery, how is your night vision whilst driving?
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    When getting surgery you must always weigh the risks. If something should go wrong by chance, how would your quality of life be affected? I decided not to get laser surgery because I'd rather deal with contacts the rest of my life and have healthy eyes than take that little tiny risk that I'll see halos and need eye drops and never be comfortable again for the rest of my life. I met someone whose laser surgery went bad. Her life is absolutely miserable because there is no follow-on treatment to help her.

That's what happened to my dad. He totally regrets it! I had just the regular lasik, and loved it, but the astigmatism requires different surgery. He needs drops more than twice a day, and sees the halos around bright objects.

I think people need to look closely at what they want done and at what age. My dad was probably around 50 something with his, and they took out the lenses and put them back....and he hates it. I had regular, just laser adjustment at age 22, and I love it.
    Make sure you research on actualy astigmatism treatment...not just lasik. It's WAYYYY different, and then you can weight the benefits against the risks on you own.

Good luck!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

My dad had it, and around car lights, he sees the halos around them. Not the best for night driving....at least the surgery for astigmatism. I had just lasik...and don't have a problem.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

Mine is still relatively recent, but the only time I have issues with night driving is when I'm overtired or haven't used my eye drops. Otherwise, I'm completely fine.