I consistently go over on protein

Options
I've been staying under on my calories, fat, and carbs., but I always seem to go a little over on my protein. Any one else do that? What kind of effect will that have? I feel like I eat small amounts of chicken or meat, you know, I would assume it's normal...I'm not going over my calories???

Replies

• madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Id be interested to see what effects it may have as I go over mine alot too but always under my carbs fat and calories
  • chefchazz
    Options
    same here. i never go over on fat or carbs but i go over daily on protein. im not sure of the effects though.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The protein allotment on myfitnesspal is actually low compared to the recommended protein intake.

Many nutritionists suggest getting 30% of your calories from protein, and for 1200 calorie dieters, that can be up to 90 grams of protein a day.

I personally aim for 90 grams of protein and my goal is to "be in the red zone" for my protein at the end of the day.

Protein fuels weight loss, and if anything, I think it will help and not hinder you.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I usually go over on protein and under on carbs. Are you losing weight?
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The calorie allowance for protein is very low. After working out my macro nutrient ratios I had to increase mine. Anyway, it's fine to go over on protein as it's very important for muscle growth - don't worry about it.

If you like, google protein intake to find out more info on the importance of protein in fat loss diets
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have gone over on my protein everyday since I started to track. I know protein keeps you full, I never cheat or snack. I have lost almost 40 lbs in 6 weeks. I think it's more important to stay under on carbs and fats than it is protein. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I really think the protein goal is set far too low on MFP. Many sources recommend that you should divide your weight by half and get that many grams of protein per day--much more than MFP recommends.

I am always over on protein and do not worry about it at all! Protein is helpful for satiating hunger and stabilizing blood sugar. As long as you aren't consuming extra fat chasing protein, I wouldn't worry in the least.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, MFP sets protein too low so I changed mine. You can do this by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Remember to save your changes.

I decreased both carbs and fat percentages and increased protein %. I also recommend increasing your daily fiber to at least 25 grams. I also decreased sodium to 2,000mg but I try very hard to consume less than this.
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't know about protein, but I definitely aim to eat at least 30gr of fiber, and that's red-zone on MFP for me. It doesn't bother me to go over my protein... hope we're all okay. Haha
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    *disclaimer* - i could be off here, but from what i gather, the dukan and atkins schemes are pretty much reliant on protein as the principal food group for weight loss.

no idea what your training regime looks like but its loads of protein and some complex carbs that seems to work best for being athletic and avoiding the 'skinny/fat' look - if you know what i mean :D
  • dkpav
    dkpav Posts: 9
    Options
    well, I just started a week ago, but I have lost 5 pounds
  • andrewferk
    Options
    Going over on protein could be one of the reasons you are staying under on carbs and fat. Protein helps in curbing your hunger. For now, I would say it's OK.
  • dkpav
    dkpav Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. makes me feel better others go over and the seemingly knowledgable opinions about MFP setting the protein goals too low is good to know. Thanks, too, for letting me know how to change that in my settings. I'm just a week in, so appreciate it.:smile: