Where do you get the energy?!

Options
Ok. So. Ive been doing this since Jan and Ive lost 10lbs so far but mostly bc of dieting. I didnt start adding exercise until the beginning of Feb and heres the situation. I have been unemployed since March of last year (military move) and so far it has not been all that hard to stick to a food and exercise regimen. However, I just got a job (yayayay!!!!!!!) and I dont know if my body is adjusting but I feel EXHAUSTED!!! I used to barely eat 3 meals a day and it would barely add up to 700 calories a day(i wasnt doing anything allllll day). Now I find that I have to eat 4 meals and im therefore adding about 300 but yet I dont have much energy :( I literally have to dragggg myself to exercise and I just feel drained. I know I should be eating 1200 calories and now Im closer to that (with the extra meal)but I feel like its not helping. I also take a vitamin B complex....how do all of you do it?!!!! Any tips, advice, recommendations to help my energy levels? I have the will just not the energy, plzzzzzzzzzzzzz HELP!!!!!! I greatly appreciate it! :D

Replies

• muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    There's an adjustment period. Give it about a month-6 weeks.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    What do you weigh? Its not set in stone that you should be eating 1200 calories...
    MFP tells me to eat 2000 calories, but on a slow less exercise day I burn about 2550 calories, but on a high exercise day I burned almost 4 thousand calories (I have a Body Media) ... so what did I learn.... I actually need to eat more to lose.

Here is what I would suggest -- set your MFP to sedentary and then eat back your exercise calories. It already is set for a 500 calorie deficit which over time should = success.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Oh plus I need to add... if you were eating 700 calories that was waaay under what you should have been eating... and your body is probably not happy with being so low on calories... its asking for more...
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you might not be eating enough. This site recommends you eat at LEAST 1200 a day. If for some reason you use up these calories (usually through exercise) you should eat more to get your daily limit back to 1200.

Example:

I eat 1200 calories. I exercise burning 200 calories. Now this site says I have only given my body 1000 calories, which is why I feel pooped and gloomy. If I have another snack and raise my calories back up to 1200, I will likely feel better, and lose weight? Maybe :smile:

Adding in new activity, like your new job, is also something that can make you feel tired. Try to add a bit more calories to each of your meals and see if that helps your energy level. Good luck!
  • VeganFit
    VeganFit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah theres definitely an adjustment period! Sometimes I still feel that way but not always. Are you putting the right foods to fuel your body in your body? Also are you getting enough sleep? Sometimes that has an effect but it could just be the new job and you getting into a new routine. I work a full time job, I come home and have to cook and clean but I still make sure to get my 1-2 hour daily exercise in. At first I sort of lacked the energy but I still went through it and now I'm good, I have the motivation, the energy to do it because I know that its getting me where I want to be and yeah there are days that I feel tired and don't want to do a thing but on those days I make sure to push myself extra! You can do it!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    You get the energy from food. If you don't have energy, I know this sounds crazy but -- you gotta eat more of it If you're cutting calories before exercise, you can't expect to have energy while doing exercise or after exercise. Therefore, if you exercise you need to put some food in your body to fuel that workout, before and after.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You're tired because your body has no fuel. Coming from someone that stuggles with this- EAT. It's the best thing you can do for yourself. :flowerforyou: The energy will return when you start properly fueling your body. PROMISE.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Fuel your body.It's like expecting your car to drive you around without puting gas in it!!!!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    A calorie is just a measurement of energy. If you are low in energy and you acknowledge you don't eat enough calories, then you answered your question.
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    id say u lack energy cos u dont eat enuf...your body is a fuel tank and your food is the petrol...dont put enough food in u wont get far. also, if yr energy is lacking that much id up your iron by taking supplements and if that still fails see a doctor as low iron can make you tired and lack energy
  • trainlady1107
    trainlady1107 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that if I listen to upbeat music it makes me want to dance and that in turn gives me energy. I also make sure I get plenty of rest other wise I a zombie and no energy!
  • Jb71483
    Options
    I weigh 168lbs but im only 5'0ft. Thanks for the advice! :D
  • Jb71483
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice and tips! I guess I will def have to start eating more (booo!) and give my body time to adjust to my new schedule :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Awww, eating more doesn't always = booo!

Take some time and really think about your relationship with food. Food is so important to us all. Like air and sleep, we need food to survive! It is necessary so do what you can to make amends with food, give your relationship a second chance. Really fall in love with food. Test the food and see how your body reacts. Try a lot of veggies. Try a lot of fruit. Do different things, different portion sizes or combinations, until you see exactly what you enjoy about food and what you don't. It's also important to try and take time to enjoy the food. If you rush through eating, you don't really get to involve yourself with the meal.

This process isn't something a week, or even a month, will solve. It's a long journey to understand more about yourself and the way food reacts with you. :happy: