how do you stay regular

Options
How do you keep your bowels moving regularly?.....I know its a funky question but i have been dying to ask.....sometimes i have issues with this...coffee doesnt work, salad doesnt work, more fluid doesn't work... any ideas?

Replies

• EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    Fibre preferably soluble.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Fiber and exercise both help.

Are you sure you're not dehydrating yourself accidentally?
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have to have about 25g of fiber per day. Not as easy as you might think! Probably the best thing I added to my diet was Kashi GoLean. I don't like it with milk, so I put it on top of my salad, like croutons. It has 10g of fiber, 13g of protein, 1g of fat, and 140 calories per cup.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Are you getting at least 25 grams of fiber per day? Fiber is one of the things I track in my food diary. If you aren't getting enough fiber from the foods you eat, try adding a fiber powder. I buy the generic store brand, it's cheaper than Metamucil.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yep check your fiber levels. :) You can take acidophilus or other probiotics. Yogurt has some but not as much as taking supplements. They help with regularity too. They work mysteriously because it also helps both extremes on the type you may have.

Cut back on meat some swap out for fiber rich veggies and fruit. I swear by mangoes. Eat a mango every morning and you will be regular.
  • trainlady1107
    trainlady1107 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is something I have struggled with for years and finally I found what seems to help some. In addition to plenty of water and exercise I take Miralax (the generic is fine). This seems to help. It was recomended to me by my doctor and this has helped more than any other laxative or anything I've tried. Good luck!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Increasing fresh fruits and veggies and even beans and true-whole grains is the best way to up your fiber. You will benefit in many other ways too. They are low-cal, low-fat and nutrient dense. It may take a few days to a week or two, but it'll work and you have to stick with it. Also, try something fermented everyday, like raw saurkraut or Kefir, or even the live yogurts... they help keep the good bacteria in your gut which keeps things moving along nicely and naturally.
  • babyru527
    Options
    i am definiately hydrated but i have never kept track of fiber.....I will have to check into it...my doctor also told me to take miralax but i was afraid to try it, but i think i will give it a shot now....every few weeks i get into a slump and have a hard time staying regular.
    thanks everyone!
  • Charlo8
    Options
    I had the same problem you are having now. I was regular until I started to what I thought was improving my eating habits and I became constipated. It's weird because I am exercising more and drinking tons of water so you wouldn't think I would have that problem. What helped me was eating a few prunes each day. I started eating them last week and I already see a vast improvement.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sneaking a little flaxseed in our meals is great too. It's delicious and helps keeps things moving if you're having problems. And most definitely more fruits, veggies and water. Then there's no reason for issues.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    Fiber!! I eat about 40-60 grams a day. I don't know how accurate the average for America is, but I have read about 11 grams. Increase the level slowly as jumping from a low fiber diet to a high fiber one can have uncomfortable consequences.

The best sources for fiber can be found with a quick google, but my favorites are bean (not green bean but the ones like kidney, navy, black, etc.), broccoli, all-bran or Fiber 1, and whole grains.

My absolute favorite is Chia seeds (yes it is the same thing as they use on the Chia Pets) They are high in fiber, contain more Omega 3 than flax seeds, and are digestible without grinding. I mix mine in with my AM cereal, and have a couple of servings throughout the day mixed with yogurt or with water and a little lemon juice and stevia.
  • babyru527
    Options
    how do prunes taste?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Same problem. I drink enough water, get over 35g of fiber a day, exercise insanely, even take magnesium. I wonder if some people just aren't meant to be regular haha..
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    how do prunes taste?

I think they're delicious, but they're an acquired texture...a little squishy for my husband. So good stewed, though, especially with oatmeal (and that's a fiber BOMB).

For me: water, water, water, water, oatmeal, coffee, water, water, water, water, vegetables, exercise, water...
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All bran buds 13g of fiber & a good crunch. I mix it into my yogurt, I mix it with my chocolat cherrios. I've even mixed it into my meatloaf, hamburg & meatball mix.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You need to up your soluble fiber intake. The best way I found of doing this was having porridge (oatmeal) everyday.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This one is going to sound crazy but I've read it in a few places and Jillian Michaels is one of them. Peppermint tea! Ever since I started drinking a cup every evening I've noticed a difference. I'm not an every single day girl, but it has improved me to every other day. Of course, I do all the other things that people are saying here as well. Oh and be sure its herbal, its not caffeinated so you can have it at anytime of the day:) I find it to be a nice evening treat that is soothing and settles me in for the night!!!
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    fiber, exercise and coffee!
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I suffer from irregularity too... Try this... `poo puddin`!!! Mix prune juice, applesauce, ground flax seeds and All Bran in a food processor. Keeps well in fridge for about a week. It will work.
    Good luck!
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    check out my diary for ways to increase your fiber intake.