Chromium to Stop Bingeing

Options
Has anyone ever tried chromium supplements to curb the urge to binge? I've read that in a few places and I'm curious as to whether or not it works....

Replies

• JulieTX86
    Options
    I take chromium every day at the recommendation of my doctor as a supplement to help aid in my weight loss journey. :)
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Never heard that but I have chromium supplements left from my last bout with EBV, totally interested to see if anyone has any information. Binge eating is something I struggle with...
  • RockinCat
    Options
    I tried chromium & it didn't agree with me, but then I have a TON of digestive issues. The best thing I have found to help with cravings/binging is to keep apples nearby to eat while you are preparing any meal. Apples are one of the foods that require almost as many calories to digest as are in the apple itself. The apple helps you to fill up quicker and avoid overeating. The easier to get to it, the better, so I wash them all as soon as I get them home and leave them in a pretty bowl as a decoration on my kitchen counter right next to the oven for easy access. GOOD LUCK!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I've taken Chromium. Not recently, about 2-3 years ago. I didn't notice any difference in binging or appetite or cravings. I don't remember how much I was taking but I do know I was taking it every day. I've ready you need to take 400 mcg in order for it to work properly. So even though I didn't see results, I encourage you to try it! It won't hurt anything and its even been known to help with blood pressure and cholesterol!

"Take 400 mcg of chromium picolinate daily with meals, preferably before working out. Alternatively, you may take a pure chromium supplement every day with meals before exercise. Taking chromium with orange juice or other foods rich in vitamin C helps your body absorb the chromium."

Read more: How to Use Chromium Picolinate for Weight Loss | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4514349_use-chromium-picolinate-weight-loss.html#ixzz1FCPNthMo
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have tried chromium. I could tell it worked a little but not really enough for me to take it. It helps level out the sugar or insulin (can't remember the exact one) in your body so if that is why you binge then it may help. HTP. :)
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with chromium. Most people get enough in their daily food, except maybe the elderly and those with diabetes. Too much can actually harm you...it can be really hard on your kidneys, liver, and heart.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/chromium-topic-overview

@Julie...are you getting yearly blook work done? I would make sure you are just to make sure your kidneys and liver is working fine. Just a thought....

And no offense, be ehow is not a legit source. That article was posted by a contributor, which could be anyone. Make sure you do solid research before adding anything potentially dangerous to your diet. I want everyone to be safe! And healthy! :)

Good luck!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I would be careful with chromium. Most people get enough in their daily food, except maybe the elderly and those with diabetes. Too much can actually harm you...it can be really hard on your kidneys, liver, and heart.

@Julie...are you getting yearly blook work done? I would make sure you are just to make sure your kidneys and liver is working fine. Just a thought....

And no offense, be ehow is not a legit source. That article was posted by a contributor, which could be anyone. Make sure you do solid research before adding anything potentially dangerous to your diet. I want everyone to be safe! And healthy! :)

Good luck!

Yup, I sure do. I just got blood work done last month. :)
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Good for you! I just worry about people on here sometimes. But you sound on top of it....so I don't have to worry :)
  • JulieTX86
    Options

Good luck!

Good for you! I just worry about people on here sometimes. But you sound on top of it....so I don't have to worry :)

Yeah, I am under a doctors supervision. The hospital I work at offers a "weigh your options" kind of program so I started going. They run all the labs, check vital signs routinely etc. etc. :)
  • viansa
    viansa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for a few months now...prior to trying to actually 'do' anything about my weight and continue to take it. I use it to aid in my metabolism and the way my body breaks down/processes sugars.

Never heard anything about it decreasing binge eating...but curious to know too. Though I haven't had any desires to binge, except during my TOM and that was 2 Tbsp of pb on 4 chocolate cookies :( Nothing compared to my old binges of 2 combo meals from a fast food place (I can't believe I actually just admitted that!!!!)
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    (I can't believe I actually just admitted that!!!!)

LOL. That had me laughing!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I've taken Chromium. Not recently, about 2-3 years ago. I didn't notice any difference in binging or appetite or cravings. I don't remember how much I was taking but I do know I was taking it every day. I've ready you need to take 400 mcg in order for it to work properly. So even though I didn't see results, I encourage you to try it! It won't hurt anything and its even been known to help with blood pressure and cholesterol!

"Take 400 mcg of chromium picolinate daily with meals, preferably before working out. Alternatively, you may take a pure chromium supplement every day with meals before exercise. Taking chromium with orange juice or other foods rich in vitamin C helps your body absorb the chromium."

Read more: How to Use Chromium Picolinate for Weight Loss | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4514349_use-chromium-picolinate-weight-loss.html#ixzz1FCPNthMo

Chromium was a suggestion from my doctor and that was the amount they suggested I take that was in the ehow article. People complain when you post things without backing what you say or where you find it and then people complain when you do post a link. Just trying to post something that backed exactly what I was told on the topic.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I couldn't find any medical studies linking chromium to stopping binging, but pretty much all the studies show no effects on weight loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20192914

Supplementation of 1000 microg of chromium picolinate alone, and in combination with nutritional education, did not affect weight loss in this population of overweight adults. Response to chromium did not vary with central adiposity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17291720

Under conditions of controlled energy intake, CrPic supplementation of women did not independently influence body weight or composition or iron status. Thus, claims that supplementation of 200 microg of Cr as CrPic promotes weight loss and body composition changes are not supported.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17147071

Since the use of chromium picolinate could jeopardize the correct renal function and its' beneficial effects are not evident, it should always be consumed with caution.
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    This is verbatim from the paperwork I got sent home with from the nutritionists office "Chromium: 1) Necessary for insulin production and transfer of glucose from the bloodstream into cells, and therefore postulated to blunt the rise in blood sugar after eating carbohydrates. 2) Increases lean body mass (LBM) when on a low calorie diet. 3) Clinical studies have shown decreased hunger for starches and sweets. 4) Most effective dose 1000mcg divided into 2 doses, i.e. 500mcg twice daily"
  • cokolina
    cokolina Posts: 48
    Options
    It is really working for me. I read lots of articles saying that the chromium GTF is better than chromium picolinate so i choose the gtf and after 3 days i have to say that is really working and i have some huge problems controlling myself around sugarr, chocolate, cake ecc...

It's not expensive, give it a try :)

and type into google : chromiums gtf weight loss or chromium weight forum

Enjoy