how many calories burnt

Options
Hi everyone, need some help, I have spent a couple of days hiking in Scotland, after over 7000 metres of accent and decent, carrying a rather heavy rucksack wearing heavy B2 boots and crampons, battling against wind rain and hail over 13 hrs. The calorie counter on MFP say's I have burnt over 6000 calories which I find hard to believe, yet my Garmin watch says I have only burnt 1300 calories, slight difference there.

If anyone can help me to get a rough but realistic calculation it will be much appreciated

4610166.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• pkpioneer72
    Options
    Your Garmin is probably only counting distance as the crow flies that you have traveled, causing it to believe you have moved a lesser distance and at a slower pace than you actually have. I don't know what an MFP is, but I can recommend with confidence that you disregard your Garmin's count in this instance.
  • magenta4c
    magenta4c Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd calculate my calories at http://www.1-2-sports.com for this kind of stuff... They are much more sophisticated in the work out area.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Is that 13 hours of actual hiking time? Or does it include resting time, too?
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Your Garmin is probably only counting distance as the crow flies that you have traveled, causing it to believe you have moved a lesser distance and at a slower pace than you actually have. I don't know what an MFP is, but I can recommend with confidence that you disregard your Garmin's count in this instance.

MFP is this website... My Fitness Pal... MFP.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just did a long walk/hike. . was an hour, per my HRM, I burnt over 600 calories, and that was hiking with nothing but my iphone, leashes for the dogs, and my clothes!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Not sure of the calorie count but that is an awesome work-out. I can't wait for summer to get here for some overnight backpack trips in the Cascade mountains. I know in the past when I have done five mile trips with the back-pack it can burn some serious calories.
  • okmum33
    Options
    resting time included, but to be honest if we stopped it was only to get something out of our rucksacks to eat while walking or to put another layer on, the weather wasn't very friendly and you soon got cold if you stopped.
  • okmum33
    Options
    I'd calculate my calories at http://www.1-2-sports.com for this kind of stuff... They are much more sophisticated in the work out area.

I will give this link a try thanks
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You probably burned more than the Garmin said. Is it a HRM or not? If not, it is only calculating distance and speed. If it has a HRM is would be closer if you work as hard as I do when hiking, especially up hill.
  • okmum33
    Options
    You probably burned more than the Garmin said. Is it a HRM or not? If not, it is only calculating distance and speed. If it has a HRM is would be closer if you work as hard as I do when hiking, especially up hill.

No I dont use the HRM..but I certainly felt like more effort went into it than when I have ran for 2 hrs and burn off more calories.
  • okmum33
    Options
    Hi everyone, need some help, I have spent a couple of days hiking in Scotland, after over 7000 metres of accent and decent, carrying a rather heavy rucksack wearing heavy B2 boots and crampons, battling against wind rain and hail over 13 hrs. The calorie counter on MFP say's I have burnt over 6000 calories which I find hard to believe, yet my Garmin watch says I have only burnt 1300 calories, slight difference there.

If anyone can help me to get a rough but realistic calculation it will be much appreciated

4610166.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

sorry that should read 7000 feet not metres..typical me feet / metres, left/right, north/south no wonder I have a problem navigating.
  • okmum33
    Options

pretty cool website, brought back roughly save calories as MFP..so hopefully the proof will be in the weigh in on Tuesday.
    Shall be using this site on a regular basis tho..thanks
  • magenta4c
    magenta4c Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    glad you like it!

add me there :-) "Berni Ahlers" i'm not really networking there but doens't harm to connect :-)