Tips and Tricks to help us all!

Options
I'm hoping to pool together a bunch of tips and tricks to help each other all out. So feel free to post the tools that motivate you and keep you going whether they are tools to help you make the right food choices or workout when you're feeling lazy.

So here are my go-to tools:

1.) I Always keep my water bottle with me and drink far more than my allotted amount of water every day.
If I make a mistake and eat something I shouldn't have, or start feeling hungry after I just ate recently, I turn to my water bottle. It helps my flush out the bad stuff both physically and emotionally. When I drink a ton of water, it's almost like a start over. I am renewed the power to make the right decisions and not dwell on the mistakes I've made.

2.) Count every SINGLE calorie, even if I've already gone over or if I'm way under. It doesn't matter - it gets counted.

3.) Push myself when I work out. Think I've reached my max? Go Harder, Faster, Longer than I "know" I can. I am my own trainer and I am my own success. I can do this!

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    wow you are a great motivator. i like how you said i am my own success. i have been struggling with the last 20 forever it seems. i do good during the wk and then mess up on the wkends. so i have to change my thinking!

exercise is a no brainer for me. boosts metabolism, changes the chemistry of your blood to the better, clears the brain fog, keeps obesity and cancers at bay. just generally makes me feel better all over and when i havent exercised for two or three days i can tell by my mood.

i got a one gallon water jug and fill my bottle from that each day. that way i know i have been drinking what i need to without thinking about it. some days are harder but most days i can do the whole gallon.

find someone to workout with. get your family involved. my ten yr old is my motivator. he asks me when we are going to the gym!

and dont bring in anything into the house that you dont want going in your mouth! even for those of us that say "but its for the kids" ha! now i make them eat one thing at the store if they have to have it.( its not good for them either anyway)

and my biggest motivator for wanting to get healthy is my family. lost a lot of family members to cancer and it is distressing that my children dont have grandparents because of preventable diseases. i want to be around for my children and live to be old and wrinkly and hopefully rocking grandbabies!
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    annabellj, thank you so much for your tips!

I agree that getting your family involved is a great way to keep you motivated. All of a sudden you're not alone - you have other people wanting you to succeed and wanting to do this with you! What an awesome feeling knowing that you have support, whether they go to the gym with you or simply praise you on the meal that you provide that is healthy and nutritious.

I learned the hard way as far as not bringing anything into the house that you a.) can't control your intake or b.) shouldn't be eatting anyways. I bought skinny cow ice cream bars and they are only 100 cals each.. but the problem is that I LOVED them and could eat 3 if I was having a hard or emotional day. Not good. Needless to say they don't go in the shopping cart anymore!

And as far as family and health goes - My family has always been very healthy and disease free. My great grandma lived till she was 1 month from turning 100 years old, my grandparents are 50 year old 80 year olds. This year, we were all reminded that we are not invincible when my uncle was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. This is a huge wake up call for all of us, even those who are within a healthy weight and live a healthy life style. Also, I've struggled with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome since I was 16 and it's very frustrating knowing that having children is going to be such a huge struggle for my husband and I. It took my mom 8 years to get pregnant and she also struggled with PCOS.

So again, thank you for sharing and thanks for the friend add, annabellj!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    these are just a few of my own personal tips. i'm sure i could go on for forever if given the chance.

1) build a strong support system and don't feel too proud to reach out for help when you need it

2) find other people to hold you accountable, because holding yourself accountable, or the lack thereof, is what got you into this boat

3) stay positive and don't beat yourself up. we're human. we make mistakes. we can't take back what we did but we can prevent the same thing from happening in the future. tomorrow's always a new day and you can always make a fresh start.

4) recognize and advertise every little accomplishment that you can. remember that success isn't found just in the numbers on the scale.

5) don't compare yourself to others. everybody's different and everybody's body works different.

6) make several small, realistic goals and rewards to give yourself when you reach them.

7) allow yourself to have a cheat day or even just a cheat meal every now and then or even on a regular basis. don't feel guilty about it, but don't let it get you off track.

8) don't let the scale control your life.

9) plan ahead as much as possible.

10) no matter what happens, never give up.
  • KaylaBlu2019
    Options
    I LOVE this tip, Nikki:

"Recognize and advertise every little accomplishment that you can. remember that success isn't found just in the numbers on the scale."

I have a real issue with relying on the scale to "make my day." This tip is much needed, thanks girl! :)
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Great Tips!

For me, I like to set mini goals. I know a lot of people do that already. I do that and just focus on that instead of thinking about the big picture. This way I don't get overwhelmed.

I cook. A lot. Before I started this weight loss journey if I didn't feel like cooking, my husband and I would just go out to eat but now I cook most days. And when we do go out to eat we make sure to eat healthy.

I really only try to buy healthy foods now. I am still tempted to buy unhealthy stuff sometimes but I really try not to.

And biggest one for me...and I am still learning this one....cut down on the alcohol!!!

I know these are pretty simple but they help me :)
  • ElleAura
    Options
    Hey Everyone here are some tricks!!
    -Eat Grapefruit, raw flax, cinnamon and lemon, which boost metabolism... grapefruit actually BURNS fat!!
    -Drink water with a splash of apple cider vinegar, sounds gross but it works... it works as a balancer, even works on balancing the pH of your skin!! Just use a little and add a splash of juice or real lemon juice to hide the flavor.
    -Drink green tea!!!!! Hot or cold, add tea bags to your water bottle!!
    -Drink A LOT of water, fill a 2L bottle and drink everyday!! This flushes you out and is very healthy!! Your skin will love it toooo.
    -Eat A LOT of fiber, check out low sugar cereals, and use SKIM milk!
    -Take calcium supplements, studies were done that people taking the supplements lost more weight then the other group of people on the same diet with the same exercise. PS broccoli is LOADED with calcium
    -Eat wholesome and filling foods!!
    -Avoid too much caffeine, caffeine makes the walls of your arteries rough which cholesterol then can catch onto which can = clot!!
    -Use homemade dressings eg olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    -try cooking more with water then oil...
    -Walking a fast pace on incline burns more fat then running...
    - YOU NEED CARDIO, ONE CANNOT JUST DO CRUNCHES TO BURN BELLY FAT :P
    -avoid white flours, or starchy foods eg potatoes, chips, white bread; these all turn into sugar and sugar turns into FAT!! everything in moderation is good
    - HAVE CHEAT MEALS ONCE A WEEK OR ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS,THIS MAKES YOUR DIETING MAINTAINABLE.
    -eat dark chocolate if choosing chocolate
    -raisins are full of sugar
    -GOOD SNACK: WHOLE WHEAT CRACKERS & TUNA!!!
    -BE HAPPY AND DONT BE DISCOURAGED IF YOUR WEIGHT DOESNT DROP... MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THEN FAT, COUNT ON INCHES IF ANYTHING
  • nikki91950
    Options
    I LOVE this tip, Nikki:

"Recognize and advertise every little accomplishment that you can. remember that success isn't found just in the numbers on the scale."

I have a real issue with relying on the scale to "make my day." This tip is much needed, thanks girl! :)

this was one of my biggest struggles for quite a while as well, and i still fight with the scale on a daily basis. don't worry too much though, because it will get easier. the more you tell yourself it's just a number, the more you'll believe it!
  • KaylaBlu2019
    Options
    I cook. A lot. Before I started this weight loss journey if I didn't feel like cooking, my husband and I would just go out to eat but now I cook most days. And when we do go out to eat we make sure to eat healthy.

This is such an important one! Cooking your food yourself really is the key to over all health I believe. This way, you control what goes into it and you don't get all those extra added preservatives and chemicals to keep the product from spoiling.. Also you can control the sodium and so forth. Great tips!
  • KaylaBlu2019
    Options
    Hey Everyone here are some tricks!!
    -Walking a fast pace on incline burns more fat then running...
    -GOOD SNACK: WHOLE WHEAT CRACKERS & TUNA!!!

Thank you for the tips elle, I loved these ones the best! It's hard to believe that walking fast on a treadmill and keeping your heart rate in the "fat burning zone" really makes all the difference but it does! When I run on the treadmill my heart rate goes sky high into the "heart health zone", where as when I walk at a fast pace on a higher incline, my heart rate is in a perfectly balanced "fat burning zone".

Also, I eat healthy crackers and tuna fish for a snack every day. So filling and so few calories. :)
  • KaylaBlu2019
    Options
    I thought of a couple more tips as I was walking my dogs at the park.

1). Make your dog the reason you get out and move! 70 percent or more dogs in the u.s. do not get enough activity in the day, thus develop many behavioral issues. If I don't want to get my daily movement, I thik about how bored my dogs must be and I feel bad enough to get up off my butt and go with them!

2). Get a heart rate monitor. Sportline is a great brand and not to expensive and when you understand your calories you burned working out and your "fat burning" heart rate zone you'll be set up for success!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Love all of the tips!
  • leikelaferris
    Options
    Things that keep me sane:
    Mixed nuts, no salt: despite the high fat content, it takes your stomach a long time to digest these, so 3-5 actual nuts go a long way to stopping a growly stomach without going over your calorie count or over snacking between meals. I take only a small palmful to work so I won't over munch.
    Club Soda with 1/4 cup 100% juice: great for keeping me from digging into refined sugar treats or cracking open a soda.
    Plain yogurt sweetened with agave nectar and frozen berries, I fill a mini gladware cup with yogurt, pour a tsp of agave on top and add some berries: Calcium and delicious sweet flavor without the wierd perservatives or artificial flavoring.
    Enemas: TMI for most people, but talk to a healthcare professional, feces build up on your intestinal and rectal walls prevent you from absorbing vitamins and minerals, and can even change the way your body processes fat. Clean out the pipes and you might be suprised how quickly you shed the next few pounds. Just be careful, it isn't the most pleasant experience in the first place, if done wrong infections are possible
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I thought of a couple more tips as I was walking my dogs at the park.

1). Make your dog the reason you get out and move! 70 percent or more dogs in the u.s. do not get enough activity in the day, thus develop many behavioral issues. If I don't want to get my daily movement, I thik about how bored my dogs must be and I feel bad enough to get up off my butt and go with them!

In a similar vein, there's an old adage that is usually true: "If your dog is too fat, YOU aren't getting enough exercise!" :noway:

In addition to giving the dog mental stimulation, walking also gives him exercise and opportunities for socialization. The fact that it gives you all of those same benefits is also nice. :laugh: