what the worst?

JennsLosing
JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
what was the worst nutritional advice you ever received. Whether it be about you, your child, your husband..what was it... i'd have to say some of the worst ive ever gotten was from a friends mom...i was talking to her about how my baby girl did not like the infant rice cereal by itself, and she told me to put some sugar in it.....then i thought to myself "hmm this is probably why both of your kids got jacked up teeth perhaps" >>>grrr...i wish i could go back and fix my type-o in the topic<<<

Replies

• omg sugar?? lol wow....my friend told me that goin on the "celery diet" is good....ummmm NO i think i like food wayyy too much to just live on celery EEW
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    A co workers of mine told me about some banana diet...that you would have to eat 6 BANANAS A DAY!!!:huh:

and the other one was from the hubby this past friday...went to tgif and i was looking at my options and he says...well u want to eat healthy...then get a salad with tons of ranch...
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    I had a doctor tell me to eat no carbs and no snacking, only three meals a day! Talk about screwing up your metabolism. You think a doctor would know better!
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    I've been told to just eat chicken broth for a week..
    lets just say i wasn't very fond of this person..
  • JennsLosing
    A co workers of mine told me about some banana diet...that you would have to eat 6 BANANAS A DAY!!!:huh:

and the other one was from the hubby this past friday...went to tgif and i was looking at my options and he says...well u want to eat healthy...then get a salad with tons of ranch...
    my husband use to do the same thing...he would eat a salad but put 5 tons of dressing on it...
  • hop3
    hop3 Posts: 61 Member
    I've been told to eat once a day, i've been told to drink my calories...I've even been told to just eat hard boiled eggs.
  • Agreed, sugar in baby cereal is not right, I did add (no sugar added) sweet potaotes or fruit to it for my fincky middle child.
    I also was told once that ranch was better for you than ketchup by someone and had to prove it wasn't!
  • JennsLosing
    Agreed, sugar in baby cereal is not right, I did add (no sugar added) sweet potaotes or fruit to it for my fincky middle child.
    I also was told once that ranch was better for you than ketchup by someone and had to prove it wasn't!
    i have a ninja food processor thing and my husband has some no sugar added random frozen fruit that ill puree *however u spell that** and add a little bit of that to her cereal...and fresh fruit too, depends on what i have on hand
  • JennsLosing
    Agreed, sugar in baby cereal is not right, I did add (no sugar added) sweet potaotes or fruit to it for my fincky middle child.
    i have a ninja food processor thing and my husband has some no sugar added random frozen fruit that ill puree *however u spell that** and add a little bit of that to her cereal...and fresh fruit too, depends on what i have on hand
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    The Adkins Diet had my husband believing he could live on pork skins and sausage, I KNOW I KNOW, that was his interpretation, but any diet that tells you that you should eat nothing but protein w/little to no regard of fat content is full of rubbish :noway:
  • OMG....totally reminds me not too long ago a friend told me she got advice from her mother in law to dip the bottle nipple in sugar because her baby wasn't drinking her bottles. WOW. It amazes me how much smarter "we" have become these days about health and nutrition yet we still have a rise in child obesity. I think it's because people are taking the advice of these people!!
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    "When you go to Mcdonalds, just eat the burgers, and don't eat the fries. As long as you just eat the burgers you won't gain weight."
  • JennsLosing
    "When you go to Mcdonalds, just eat the burgers, and don't eat the fries. As long as you just eat the burgers you won't gain weight."
    lol!
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    We get told ALL the time not to tell mums to put sugar on babies things!
    Yeah it works, but then they won't take it without sugar, and get fat basically!! :P

The worst I've ever heard was... Ooh I can't think of any off the top of my head but there must have been some...
    Oh yeah, the raw chicken diet.. Yes I honestly heard two girls talking about it..
    Basically, you eat raw chicken, then you get food poisoning so you puke for a few weeks and lose a stone.....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    It wasn't necessarily actual diet advice, but my mom is one of those people that believes that just because something is organic also means it's lower calorie/fat than "normal" stuff. She was trying to convince me that the ice cream she'd made was healthy/would it into my daily calories cuz she had used organic cream, organic milk and organic nuts.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Yeah it works, but then they won't take it without sugar, and get fat basically!! :P

The worst I've ever heard was... Ooh I can't think of any off the top of my head but there must have been some...
    Oh yeah, the raw chicken diet.. Yes I honestly heard two girls talking about it..
    Basically, you eat raw chicken, then you get food poisoning so you puke for a few weeks and lose a stone.....

when my oldest son was teething my grandma told me to rub whiskey on his gums says said she did it for all her kids lol
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member

when my oldest son was teething my grandma told me to rub whiskey on his gums says said she did it for all her kids lol
    Yeah we get advised not to advise that one too :P
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    I had a doctor tell me to eat no carbs and no snacking, only three meals a day! Talk about screwing up your metabolism. You think a doctor would know better!

Not everyone believes that 6 meals a day is vital for a high metabolism ;)
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    my husband told me that calories didn't matter, it was all about quantity and that i don't eat enough even though i was eating 1800 calories almost a day! yeah. this is coming from skinny man who can eat cookies and ice cream before bed and not gain a single pound.
  • I was once told that snacking is bad for you and so is breakfast. Also, someone once advised me to eat white chocolate as a snack because it was the healthiest out of all the chocolates! Oh, and that fruit is bad for you! Uhg!
This discussion has been closed.