Gain 3 lbs over night?

Options
Why oh why do I weigh myself the day after a cheat meal.... How is it that I go out and have a cheat meal and the next day I weigh myself and i'm up 3lbs?

occasional cheat meals are essential to dieting.... it keeps you sane and you're not as likely to gain the weight back over a period of time when you allow yourself to indulge a little bit,
but how am I suppose to enjoy myself and not feel like complete CRAP when a beer and a burger make the scale number climb so high?

iugdsfbdsfbdshbf UGH!

Replies

• LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OMG same thing happened to me this morning after a cheesburger and some Coors light!
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's not a true gain. It is just water wait from all of the salt. In a day or 2 it will be gone. You'd have to have eaten 10500 calories over your maintenance calories to have gained that much.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it right now! Just finished my pizza, 3 or 8 beers to go.... I can do it!

'Course, I have a big day planned for tomorrow.
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I try not to take the scale too literally after my "splurge days"... but it sure is discouraging! It always goes down, though. Thank goodness!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I was terrible Friday night and yesterday at lunch. When I say terrible I mean I went over by a lot. Today, I worked my butt off at the gym and lost all of the weight I had on me this morning.
  • Carissa83
    Carissa83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too the other day! It's depressing. Even though logically I know its not an actual three pound gain it's still discouraging to see it on the scale. Actually, I'm proud of you for having a cheat meal and a little time out! You've been working soooo hard and eating perfect since I've been MFP friends with you. You have a lot on your plate so it's awesome you allowed yourself to relax a little. :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    That's why my weigh-in day is Tuesday. If I eat poorly, it's almost always on the weekends. It gives me a day to recover.

Don't stress about it too much. Like someone else said, it's likely water retention from the sodium. And don't weigh in the day after a cheat meal anymore. :)
  • lareyna124
    Options
    I don't call it Cheat Meal, I call it Shock meal bc it does exactly that , it shocks ur metabolism after a whole week of eating super clean and healthy. You' ve been doing this long enough to know its normal it happens , by end of next week you will see a completely diff number and plus like you said before , body fat number is better than the scale #.
  • Suzy_B
    Suzy_B Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's not a true gain. It is just water wait from all of the salt. In a day or 2 it will be gone. You'd have to have eaten 10500 calories over your maintenance calories to have gained that much.

I completely agree, drink lots of water & it will go away. I weigh friday mornings since when I eat too much sodium, it's usually on the weekend.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    same! I should not have weighed in this am!!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

I completely agree, drink lots of water & it will go away. I weigh friday mornings since when I eat too much sodium, it's usually on the weekend.

I agree I weigh friday for the same reason!
  • zcosborne86
    Options
    Guys I feel your pain!!!! I had work drinks on friday and then the Rugby on Saturday (london Irish and England) so as you can guess I ended up being rather naughty with the drinks which in turn lead me to Burger king. I feel awful now and the scales are laughing in my face.

Look at the positive though! If we can easily gain 2 - 3lb in a day or two then we can lose it right?

And remember, when all else fails, throw the scales out the window, whack on some hearty tunes and shake your tush to the beat! It cheers you up no end and gets you moving!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Please try to remember that no one gains 3 pounds overnight. You would have to eat well over 10,000 calories in one day. Its water weight.
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I went away to a wedding this weekend and it was a weekend long affair of eating and drinking and the scale this morning said I am 8lbs heavier!!! I know that is impossible as I even did some exercise on the fri and sat so and would have had to have eaten 1000's of calories over my maintenace calories so i'm just assuming its ALOT of sodium/water weight!!! Im going to try and nto weigh in until Saturday now!......after lots of cardio!!!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I learnt a long time ago NOT to weigh any more than once a week - the results were so shocking sometimes it sent me totally off plan!

Now I weigh only on a Friday morning, then be less strict for the rest of the day, and ease back into it over the weekend, so that by Monday I'm back on track without feeling guilty. Might be a slower rate of weight loss, but its working.

My hubby got into the habit of weighing daily, and was chuffed to bits one day when he was down 7 lbs, but by the end of the week had only maintained. Lesson learnt the hard way!
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yeah, apparently I got in my " don't give a **** mood " Saturday night & had 4 beer & yesterday I finished off the six pack with 2 pieces of pizza! That's the first alcohol I've had in 3 months... kinda weird the beer didn't taste as good as it used to..maybe that's a good thing! LOL Cause that's what helped in putting this extra 15 lbs on me in the first place...I broke my damn toe over the summer & couldn't run for awhile.. I ended up over indulging in beer during the summer. Then, my clumsy *kitten* fell down that flight of stairs right after Thanksgiving. So, I gained 10 more lbs over the holidays from more drinking & of course the holiday menu! I didn't realize until now 1, 12 oz Miller Lite is 96 calories!!! Damn... maybe that's why it didn't taste as good! LOL
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Don't fret! It is just water weight but not really from the salt but from the storing of glycogen. It's a good thing and very necessary for long term weight loss. The day after your spike day(cheat day) you are actually stronger and in prime condition for a great workout.
    http://spikediet.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-bad-day-will-not-make-you-gain-fat.html