Exercise Calories

Options
I know I've seen people ask this before, so I don't want to be annoying, but I'm wondering if I should be eating my exercise calories every day or leaving some? Today I went out to eat so I ate all 600 of my exercise calories, but I'm not sure if I should be feeling guilty or not! :ohwell:

Replies

• Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Eat them! MFP is set up to calculate your daily calorie needs so that you stay in the zone where you lose weight, but don't go into starvation mode (which is where your body starts hoarding calories as fat). If you don't eat the exercise calories you risk bumping your metabolism into starvation mode and sabotaging your weight loss process.
  • MandyC82
    Options
    Thanks! I like that answer! :happy: That's kinda what I thought too, but I just wanted to be sure!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I eat about half of mine regularly. Yes, don't skimp or your body will plateau. That can be discouraging!:flowerforyou:
  • melissatacker
    melissatacker Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I personally am on the side of the fence that believes you should not eat them back otherwise what was the point in burning them off to begin with? I have been dieting and using MFP for 32 days and am down 18 lbs and never ate any of them back and it's working really well for me...my two cents :)
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them. If I'm hungry or want a treat I'll eat all of them.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I need to, otherwise I don't... I'm still under 1200 today and I'm completely satisfied, had well rounded, filling meals, and even fit in hot chocolate and a treat. I struggled with this, and everyone will tell you something different. I would just stick to eating them if you want to or feel you need to, but don't make yourself eat just to make sure you eat them at the end of your day!
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Need to learn to listen to your bodies needs..... Is it always necessary to eat them back? Nope.... But if you feel hungry or have the urge to eat something then by all means... Place a healthy snack into the mouth ( not a slice of Chocolate pie).

Finally If you want you can always make a recovery shake of Whey protein banana, and milk/water for a liquid base.. This alone is around 250 calories.. and place it will supply your muscles needed Protein and carbs to recover.
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No need to feel guilty. You worked for them eat them. If you find that your weight loss slows then maybe only eat a portion of them. If you are losing consistently then your body needs the nutrition.