Breastfeeding

Options
Breastfeeding burns about 500 calories a day. Is anyone else breastfeeding and using this tracker? How do you add those as calories burned? I am pretty sure I need more than 1200 calories a day to produce milk and I was wondering how I can up my calories yet subtract those from breastfeeding.

Replies

• Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You can add to your cals by putting nursing (in food database) or breastfeeding in your diary :smile:
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi!! first off congrats on breastfeeding!! second, I BELIEVE there is a spot in the exercise tab where you can add your own exercise and number of calories burned. You COULD just add in "breastfeeding" and enter in four or five hundred cals burned. there may be a better way, Im not sure, but if not at least this will allow you the extra cals!! Good luck!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would recommend setting your goals to lose 1 lb a week or even maintain just starting out. You can add breastfeeding either on your food log or under exercise - just search breastfeeding. I use the 6-12 month option since my little one is nursing far less these days, but there are a bunch of choices!

From what I've read it's recommended BFing moms eat at least 1500-1800 calories a day and most need to be in the higher range to keep up supply.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    It is 300-500 calories for breast feeding, depending on how often your little one is feeding and how much theyre taking...very young take far less despite frequent feeds. Listen to your body. if you are on 1500 calories and your milk supply is suffering up your calories to 1600, 1700 etc until your milk is stable.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor his or her thoughts! :)
  • autumn5gabby
    Options
    I dont put nursing in my food diary. My baby is 20 months and I nurse her 3-4 times a day. Do you think I should put it in?
  • mommabear2002
    Options
    Im not sure how to do that but I just wanted to give a little advice. Back then I never put two and two together, but I was breastfeeding and losing a good bit of weight. I knew I had to eat more and drink more and I was, just like I was suppose to and I remember feeling hungry alot but thinking wow I had nearly 2000 calories today so I wouldnt eat. Well my milk stopped coming in and I know its because my body needed more then I or my dr thought. So if its important for you to continue breast feeding, pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Not being able to breast feed when you REALLY want to can be very depressing. I was even put on meds to help it come in and it didnt really work. Sorry I just thought I had to share.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would add that in as "exercise".....I don't know, but while I was breastfeeding, I NEVER lost weight. Never. The extra calories it may have burned were probably offset by my being more sedentary (holding babies instead of going to the gym), or increased hunger, or hormones. Who knows. Kind of a slippery slope, like trying to figure out how many cal. you burn off by having sex, or doing your laundry.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I dont put nursing in my food diary. My baby is 20 months and I nurse her 3-4 times a day. Do you think I should put it in?

If your milk supply hasnt suffered on the calories you are on then I wouldn't. Those extra calories are to ensure a good supply...more important in the early months when supply is still establlishing
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    I add breastfeeding in under my food diary, as was suggested above. But I just wanted to stress for everyone that it is sooo important to make sure you account for those extra calories while breastfeeding. Two different things can happen if you don't get adequate nutrition while nursing: your milk can start to dry up, depriving you and your baby of all those wonderful benefits breastfeeding brings; your body will continue to provide your baby all the nutrients needed to grow, and will take those nutrients from your bones, teeth, etc. I know women who have had to have multiple root canals because of this, or have gotten osteoporosis later in life. It is not just about calories, but also adequate calcium, iron, and vitamins. The best idea (per my lactation consultant and dr) is to continue taking prenatal vitamins while nursing to minimize the chances of depriving you or your baby of everything your body needs to be healthy.
  • rmbannan
    Options
    It is frustrating to figure out how many calories to eat! I've read a minimal of 1800, but it would be nice to be able to below that number!!
  • tummymummy
    Options
    Hi, Interesting to read everyone's experiences/opinions on this. I am currently BF my 3rd child, I waited until she was 6 months before I considered 'dieting'. I am on 1400 calories per day and don't add BF to my diary. I know my milk supply is not suffering - unfortunately I still have leaks some days!! I have started taking a supplement though as noticed a difference in my nails etc. I have set my goals to 1lb a week but have generally been losing 2lbs per week.

HTH

E x
  • JanisBudds
    JanisBudds Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I contacted Jenny Craig, they said they put BF mom's on a 1700 calorie diet to accout for breastfeeding. My daughter is almost 4 months old so I know my milk is established, but I don't want to lose it so I am going to eat the extra 500 calories for now. I did like the suggestion that one person had about pumping and measuring 20 calories burned per ounce. It is hard since I don't pump that often and get different amounts when I do pump, but maybe if I average it out I will know a bit better.