Weight Loss Has Made Me Emotional!

Options
Is this happening to anyone else?

I've been eating well and working out for the past few weeks. I joined the site about a week ago and LOVE it so far. Physically, I feel SO MUCH better, but I've found that....I've turned in to an emotional trainwreck. I' determined to lose the weight, and don't intend on quitting, but I wish that I could kick the feeling of weepy-ness that is looming over me late at night.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that when you first start a health program that your body releases toxins which have been building up inside of you. This can then cause you to feel emotionally (or sometimes physically) unstable. I hope that's the case, and that I'm in a "phase" I'll eventually get over.

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I had emotional issues before I started losing weight. I have heard that fat is an excellent repository for toxins though, so it makes sens that such crap is being released with the fat burn. Just keep pushing and don't give up. There will be hard days, but don't let those outweigh the good days. Track your success both on and off the scale and remember to look at it form time to time. I come here to see what other people doing and it gets me pumped on the hard days. We can all do this!
  • hop3
    hop3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am interested in seeing what others have to say.

I find myself in the same boat as you. The only difference is that I have been working on losing weight for a few months and I STILL feel emotional and it's not just at night. :cry:
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If I watch weight loss success stories on tv or the internet I get a little emotional because I relate to what that person has been through, and I look forward to where they are now........:smile:
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I find that I get 'emotional' when my blood sugar drops too low. Your diet might not be balanced.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Are you an emotional eater? The reason I ask is you may be reacting to your "friend" being missing from your life. I hope you feel better as time passes. *hugs*
  • anorton45
    Options
    well, I guess so.... did my pilates dvd today and watched her inspirational "do this every day....." and felt like crying. Chalked it up to hormones.... glad to know I'm not hormonal 24/7., and that others are experiencing this too. LOL
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't tell you when it will pass. But I was working out today and felt a sudden urge to break down in tears so I can definitely relate! No idea why! I'm glad you posted this because I had no idea that working out and weight loss could do that
  • Aelyta_Spirit
    Aelyta_Spirit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would think maybe it's a blood sugar thing. This thing tends to happen to me when my food isn't balanced quite right.
    :(
    Either way, it sucks.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    good point! Funny you should mention blood sugar, because when I don't eat I get the same way. I just put up a post about constantly going over on fat but way under on carbs and if it's necessary to balance that out. Maybe it wont make a difference for my body composition but it could make a difference for my mood. Guess I'll lay off the proteins tomorrow and try to add a few more grains.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I started the weight loss in mid January these last few weeks have been up and down. I've been a lot more weepy than usual just like you mentioned. I did have a bad breakup in august, he left me and i was pretty beat up about it. Plus, around the same time a couple of my friends betrayed me so I was hurting bad over the people in my life. But that was almost 7 months ago.

I'd have to say I think emotionally, I have changed. Like you, it seems to have worsened my emotions. I can easily start crying. I almost started crying at the gym the other day over a TV show preview!
  • InnerSkinnyGirl
    InnerSkinnyGirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you an emotional eater? The reason I ask is you may be reacting to your "friend" being missing from your life. I hope you feel better as time passes. *hugs*

I tend to agree with this.

Disclaimer: I am a psychotherapist.

I find that when people shed weight they tend to mourn the loss, especially if it is something that brought them comfort in the past ie food and the good feelings you get from eating the old stuff. So you may be mourning the loss of foods that made you feel comfortable/rewarded after a long or bad day. But this is normal. You're developing a new sense of self and reconciling the old you with the new you while mourning this loss which is totally normal. Being weepy or tearful doesnt happen to everyone but it can and when it does, it catches them off guard.

If it starts to affect your daily activities then you may need to consider what are the deeper issues that are unresolved as a result of the weight loss.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!
  • corgant715
    corgant715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have been real emotional lately too. I never imagined "chalking it up" to blood sugar. Thanks for posing the question and everyone else for their responses. I was just assuming I was dealing with all the "emotions" that go along with with weight loss (and I know there are alot), but to know there could be an additional factor in the equation helps me focus on a bigger picture.
  • ricepattikay
    ricepattikay Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think that if you, like me, have used food as your best friend, the one who's always there waiting to make you feel better , when you stop using food to make you happy then it stands to reason that you are going to mourn it like you would a friend that is no longer with you. If everning is the time that you snacked and munched the most (like me) then that might be the reason that evening is the toughest for you. You might try a bubblebath or get on mfp and read success stories, I find that helpful.
    I have also found that if I really watch my sugar my mood is a lot more regulated. Try to eat whole foods as much as possible, some people are really sensitive to additives and preservatives. Anyway good luck, hope you are feeling better soon!! :)
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    At the start of this diet, I was on an emotional roller coaster. The working out and eating well were helping me feel good, but then the obsessing about calories and thinking about all the things I can't eat just pissed me off. This reminds me of a quote I read that goes something along the lines of "When you try to lose weight, the first thing you lose is your sense of humor." So true for me, but once I realized that (much in the same way that I realized I'm angry at the world because I'm PMSing), then I can take control and work on ways to minimize it. Also I can articulate it to the people around me so they can either steer clear of me for a while or at least not be offended when I'm sulky. That said, I feel like the emotional upheaval as decreased somewhat over time... I've been at this for almost 3 months. I am curious if that is because I've got better at dealing with it mentally, or that my body is physically adjusting to the changes. Either way, there is hope even if it's change at a snail's pace (was for me).
  • Jaccilatt5
    Jaccilatt5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have founf my self on the verge of tears over tv commercials!!! That is sooooooo not like me!! I thought it was just me so Im glad you posted this. Im not an emotional eater, in fact Im the opposite. If Im upset I cant force myself to eat. So it must be the release of all the crap that is built up in my system.
  • jenbcp
    jenbcp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for much for all of your responses.

I will definitely watch out for dipping blood sugar levels. I've only seen people get tired or extremely cranky when they are experiencing this, but perhaps it affects me in this way.

And to the people who said that this could be me mourning the loss of my "friend"....you are probably correct. Food, in my family, was used to comfort or congratulate people. I had a rough day Friday, and the first thing I wanted to do was derail on my diet. I didn't thankfully, but I do see how my emotions are tied to eating.

Thanks again for all of your thoughtful responses :)
  • jhunt90
    jhunt90 Posts: 78
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I have the same problem and it makes it hard to exercise. I hope it passes for you soon!!