Motivation from a 7 year old

Options
I am the proud Grandfather of a beautiful 7 year old grand daughter and a precious 3 year old grand son. Since she was 3 my grand daughter has spent a week every summer with my wife and youngest son and I. We only see Zoe about 3 or 4 times a year because they live in Indianapollis and we live in Illinois. Due to the fact that we see so little of each other my son was not aware of how bad my health had slipped.
My weight had gone up to 486 pounds, I was on oxygen all the time and was pretty much confined to 3 downstairs rooms in my house, and my van once I could get to it to drive. About this same time my youngest son moved out and it was just my wife and I and she is disabled. I decided a few weeks before school let out to drive out there on a Saturday and see the kids and make arrangements for Zoe to come for her week in June.
I wasn't feeling well when i left and by the time I got there I was in a full blown episode of congestive heart failure. My son and his family were terrified and tried to get me to let them take me to a hospital, I wouldn't go but could not sleep because I couldn't lie down and was having trouble breathing. My son sat up with me all night and at first light he helped me to my van and I made the 5 hour drive home where my medicine and oxygen were.
The call that broke my heart came the next day when my son called to say that given my health and my wifes disability he could not send Zoe out this summer. He also told me he was scared to death that I would not live to see the end of summer. That was June 12th the day my journey started, I called my son and asked him for a deal. If by October I could show him proof that I was on the road to recovery and could taek care of her, would he let zoe take a couple extra days off school at fall break and come to stay. He said we would see how it went, I started by putting myself on a strict 1200 calory a day diet. Due to my health there wasn't much I could do for exercise but I stumbled around my house with my walker and lifted soup cans and did anything I could.
By the time October came I was down 80 lbs and was starting to move better and exercise more, my son was amazed and agreed that Zoe could come and we had a great time. She told me over and over how proud she was of me. Well in January I joined the local YMCA and started lifting weights and swimming daily, today I weighed in at 348 lbs. with my goal being 240 by Spring of 2012. I talk to Zoe weekly and give her updates on my progress and she continues to tell me how proud she is. We are already planning this summers visit and since I am doing so well my son has agreed to let my Grandson come to. You can bet I will continue to work as hard as I possibly can to be in my best shape when the kids get here in June.

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome story!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    That is a great story! Thank you for sharing!
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Shows how much she means to you and vs versa!!
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's a lovely story - thank you for sharing - what an awesome grandfather you are, and congratulations on your amazing success so far! Keep it up!
  • zatsdeb
    zatsdeb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    wow, that is an awesome story!!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    What a great story. I bet you feel so much better and I know that they are so proud of you. You must be very proud as well, keep up the good work!
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great job! You have much to proud about! Keep up the great work!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are! Congrats on what you've done so far, and keep it up!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!! Keep up the great work!!!
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That brough tears to my eyes. I pray for your continued succuss, and for many, MANY more healthy summers to come :)
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    *tears* I practically cried through the whole thing. You family is so lucky to have you in their lives. Keep up the amazing work you are doing. What a great role model your grandchildren have <3
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    This brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing story and spirit you have. Keep up the good work!
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing such a heart wrenching story with us. I cannot begin to imagine how heartsick you were to hear she couldn't come to you. Blessing come so very well disguised and that is what this was.... because of Zoe.... you will be around much longer & in much better condition for your family who clearly thinks the world of you! Keep up the great work! Stranger that I may be, I am proud of you!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    wow, great story! (and, I also got a little misty)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    *huge smile*
    that's really what it's all about isn't it? being the best we can be,, for ourselves BUT also because we owe it to the ones we love and who love us, so we do not cause them worry or fear *S*

congrats!!!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    This is probably the best motivational story I have seen to date. The fact that your family means so much to you is amazing, and you have done astonishingly well to make sure you can be around for them for the long haul. Keep up the good work, and keep us all updated!
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    You are amazing, and what an incredible story!

Keep up the fantastic work!!! You had me in tears - my father passed away 9 years ago from congestive heart failure, he never even got to see any of his grandchildren. For that matter, my father's father died of CHF before he met his grandchildren, too. Keep up the great work, you are so inspiring!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You never know where you will find your miracle cure!! Happy to hear your results and happy ending!! Keep up the great work and may you enjoy your summer of fun with never ending energy.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    great motivator. afterall, grandkids are our reward for being parents!
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks for sharing your story.... Congrats on all the hard work!!