Gaining Weight???

Options
I gained two pounds from yesterday. EVEN though I did almost two hours of working out!! I didn't go over on my cals or anything, so I don't understand it??

Why would I gain weight after an intense workout like that?? :(

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
  • Wolffeathers
    Options
    A few reasons.

One, water. If you drank a lot of water, you may still be holding onto it in the morning.

Two, sodium. If you had a lot of sodium in the last few days, your body is....holding onto that water.

Three, menstrual cycle. If it's close to that time of the month, you may be, once again, holding water.

Four, a bad reading. You may have just stepped on the scale wrong. On this one, the clothing you were wearing may have added those two pounds.
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    But I usually lose weight after a workout. I haven't done that intense of one before, but i usually NEVER gain weight after a workout. How long does the water retention stay on?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If it was more strength, your muscles are pulling the water. I'd say 2-3 days.

But when I start a new exercise routine, it can be a week or so.

Stop going just by the scale, measure :smile:
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    I have been measuring definitely...I've only lost an inch off my waist in over a month and none off my thighs :( But I'll try to give it some more time!! I'm just impatient lol
  • Wolffeathers
    Options
    Just because your not losing in the places your measuring, doesn't mean your not losing. Add more measurements, including bust. I've lost most of my inches in my stomach, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Your calfs may be getting smaller, or your neck.
  • mel_0920
    Options
    If you're working out intensely, then it's a possibility you're gaining muscle. Make sure you're doing caloric cycling and not overdoing your protein intake as well as increasing your cardiovascular exercises.
  • khop9
    khop9 Posts: 3
    Options
    Another thing to remember is that muscle weighs more than fat so just because the scale doesn't show your progress, I'm sure that the way your clothes are fitting does. And coming from a habitual daily weigher, its not a good idea bc of the normal fluctuations. :) Hope this helps.