Measuring Food

Options
As a general rule, is better to portion food by weight or volume? I have found sometimes the volume listed as a serving size doesn't match the weight of a serving size?

Replies

• likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I weight pretty much everything I put into my mouth on a digital scale...no guessing and you are right..sometimes the label isn't always right :)
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    By weight should be much more accurate.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I weigh... Uses wayyyy less dishes!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much switching over to scale. You get a more accurate reading that way.
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Serving of Steak fries... 9, of course I always pick out the biggest and longest. Weighed them tonight. Should have been choosing the short, skinny ones! :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I prefer weighing as a measurement, much more accurate.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I have the option to weigh, I always opt for that instead. It's, as others have said, much more accurate. If I weigh out 32g of Cheerios I know that every single time I do it, I'm getting exactly 32g. Wheras if I use a cup measure for the serving then I can end up with a range of amounts depending on how level the measure was, or how much I shake them and settle them into the cup, etc.

And sometimes you come out ahead. With my Special K Cracker Chips, Mr. Krispers Rice Krisps, Trader Joe's Roasted Plantain Chips and Humbles Baked Hummus Chips, I typically get one or two more in count than the package says when I go by the actual weight itself.