Could use your help!

christmasbow
christmasbow Posts: 19
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
I'm a 53 year old woman who has been overweight pretty much since I had my children. Because I'm only 5 foot 1 1/2 inches every pound shows. Lost weight a couple of times thru WW, only to gain it back. When I turned 50 several women told me how everything in your body goes down hill. Gee, that was depressing, so I decided I'd better get in shape before I get any older. Never liked the gym at all, but starting doing the elliptical, then the treadmill. Eventually did the couch to 5k and did 5 of them when I was 51 and loved it! Was eating clean and got down to my ideal weight. I felt like for the first time in my life I was doing something athletic. Last year, I had surgery so I had to stop doing everything for awhile. Once the exercise stopped, so did my good eating and put 20 pounds back on. I tried getting back on the treadmill, but it feels bad with my extra weight on. I need to get my mojo back!

Replies

• well, you know you have it in you! I say just keep exercising, every little bit helps and the more you do it the more you will crave it...good luck! :flowerforyou: you can do it!
  • If you need low impact to start I highly recommend Walk Away the Pounds. They have everything from 1 to 5 miles walks... I started on the one mile walk 4 days ago and I can already see results.... It's very very low impact though.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Take it day by day! Do what you can right now, and maybe first focus on eating healthy, and then incorporating exercise. I'm going to focus on just the small things and not try to do it all at once right now. If you need anyone to talk too I'm here for you.
  • caldwe20
    caldwe20 Posts: 4 Member
    I guess the important thing is to start back slowly and listen to your body, walking at 3.0 mph with and incline of 3,4, or 5 is a great way to get an outstanding workout that is low impact. Water aerobic is good also. Other variety that you may enjoy could include ballroom dance, tai chi, cannoeing, etc. Start slow be patient and adjust your calories accordingly. In the end it all about calorie balance soif you are not working out eat less.

Bodymedia is a device that I use and highly recommend it, this way your are no longer guess about how many calories you burn in a day. try www.bodymedia.com

~good luck, you can do it.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Your story is very similar to mine. I'm also 5' 1" (plus a half inch on a good day:wink:), so I know how at our height, each and every pound shows. Like you, my weight goes up and down. I get on track and lose weight for several months then something comes up to knock me off track and slowly my weight creeps back up. Before I notice, I'm back where I started. I started C25K about 3 weeks ago and it's going better than I expected.
    If you're not ready for the treadmill yet, just start moving; do whatever you're comfortable with. Little by little, you'll get back in the swing of things. Feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck!
  • Thank you to all of you for your welcome and advice! I feel more motivated now!
This discussion has been closed.