So I need your opinion on this diet?

Options
So I would pretty much just like to talk about my diet/ supplement plan. I am going to the beach in June, and while I am on more of a lifetime goal of just eating clean, the beach is my own specific goal. So any thoughts and comments let me know, and if anyone as done something like this I would appreciate feedback. I know this seems a little strict, but I am hoping that I can stick to this, then when I get in maintenance mode then it won't seem so bad. I am trying to think of food as more of a fuel source than a recreation. anyway, thanks for looking!

DIET

5:30- AM cardio on 1 protein shake

6:30- Breakfast

* 1 whole egg
* 3 egg whites
* 1/4 cup dried oats
* 1/4 cup sugar free syrup ( i make a "pancake" with this )

9:30- Snack

* 1 scoop protein
* 1/3 cup oats

12:30- Lunch

* 4 oz chicken/tilapia/lean ground turkey brest
* 1/2 cup green beans
* 1/3 of a medium sweet potatos ( I am not weighing grams at this point)

3:30- Snack

* 1 scoop protein
* 1 small golden delicious apple

6:30- Dinner

* 4 oz chicken/tilapia/ lean ground turkey breast
* 1/2 brocolli
* 1 tbsp olive oil

9:30- post workout

* 1 scoop protein
* 1 cup (8 floz) gatorade

I will be averaging about 1 gallon of water a day

Replies

• Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but per my own research this seems like a lot of protein for one day... There is a big misconception that more protein is good. We don't need as much protein as we are led to believe. And I've heard if you have too much protein you will gain weight, not lose it. Like I said, I'm no expert... just my conclusion from past research.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't like it simply because the body NEEDS some carbs and I'm not a fan of no carb or super low carb diets. Yes they work and this one seems more sensible using protein scoops over lots of protein in fatty meats. Also don't like that its not vary varied. I think you would need more veggies than listed here. Maybe throw in some salads with your dinner or lunches.

How many calories does that come to it doesn't seem like its enough? How much carbs does it come to with the oats?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Too much protein and not much fruit or veggies
  • yepratt
    Options
    Wow that's a lot of protien, Do you really need that much protein? Are you trying to bulk up? Try using your protein after you workout for recovery. All that protein will raise your cholesterol>
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't see many fruits/veggies at all!! :frown:
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Not nearly enough vegetables. You are clearly concerning yourself a lot with protein intake, but I think you need to diversify. Plus, such a strict regimen isn't going to be sustainable long term.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Unless your goal is to bulk up and you will be doing some serious weight-lifting I think it's too much protein and not enough vegetables. Aim for 3-5 servings of veggies each day. Don't be afraid of carbs and good fats, your body needs them. In addition to the oats, try barley, cousous, quinoa, beans and lentils. Also the good fats found in olive oil, nuts and seeds.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I got this diet from a personal trainer who trains girls for figure shows, so I'm assuming that why there is such high protein intake. I am okay with the protein intake where it is because I am trying to maintain the muscle I have now, but I too am concerned about the lack of enough fruits and veggies and calories. I think I will have sweet potato with both lunch and dinner, and throw some fruit in with my breakfast and maybe some natural peanut butter. I also don't like that he didn't include any milk. I guess I have to remember that this is not a lifetime diet, it is an event specific diet ( in my case the BEACH!). I think I will take all of your suggestions and alter this to better fit what I am looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions!