new and needing help

Options
I just started mfp this week. I am very motivated to increase my physical health for many reasons. This week I thought I followed the plan and gained almost 5 lbs...omg! What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• MannAmanda
    Options
    Are you working out too? Because if you are working out you could be gaining muscle and from what I hear Muscle weighs almost double the amount that fat does so you will gain before you lose.
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less space so your appearance will change and clothes will fit better but 1 lb of fat is the same weight as 1 lb of muscle.... make sure you are taking in your water and staying hydrated...it is the biggest challenge I have... best wishes for a successful journey! you can do it!
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You just got started. I wouldn't worry yet. But, in order for us to help you, we'll need more information. Please open up your food diary to the public. That will tell us a lot. Also, what kind of physical activity did you do?
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Make sure you completely understand what you're entering in for goals, both nutritionally and physically. If you told MFP you want to lose say 2 lbs a week, it will want you to be doing the workout amount times as well. Otherwise, you'll be overeating if you're just inactive and not doing what it says or what you put in that you would be doing. So make sure you go over your goals and understand them.
  • 72leah
    Options
    I had been using mfp and quite for awhile went to the doc friday gaine 5lbs. so i thought time to start back.
  • alight494
    alight494 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you must have all your data accurate...you must eat 5-6 small meals/day that helps speed up your metabolism. then you must start sometype of cardio work, treadmill bike, ellyptical. weight only help you tone and build muscle. and you must given it a couple of weeks, depending on you age, certain times of the month for me make it really hard for accurate....you may have lost inches. measure the inches breast waist hips and arms and track them every 2 week and see....
  • cjeepgal
    cjeepgal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wow...and thanks for the responses. I am working out both cardio and strength training. I will look over my goals again and make sure those are right. I am going to give it another week before feeling too defeated. I was just so surprised...and not in a good way this week.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I might suggest you get some friends on here to help with the motivation and suggestions. People really are here to help. Most everyone here is doing the same thing, trying to lose weight or stay fit. In either case, they can and will help but you have to be okay and willing to hear what people have to say. Mostly encouraging words. Good luck and don't give up! Feel free to add me as a friend.