One Year MFP Anniversary

Options
So, one year ago today, I joined MFP. I had just turned 50 years old and was at least 30 pounds overweight. As others have stated something inside just snapped and I said "enough". I started walking 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week and figured as long as I did even just that- it was better than what I had been doing, which was nothing. Shortly I started increasing length of walks and amounts of hills. Then I added bike riding. After about 6 months I noticed that no matter how fast I walked or even how steep the hills were I rarely got winded - so I started jogging. I used MFP religiously to log what I ate and when/how much I exercised. I read everyones comments both positive and negative and kept at it,

My original goal was to lose 25 pounds from Sept 15 07 to Dec 27, 07 when I was going to visit my sister in Europe. I missed that one by one pound - but got on the plane having lost 24 pounds and while very proud of myself, was somewhat worried about how much I would gain on vacation. Had a great time over New Years, ate, drank and did not excerise for 9 days. When I got back, was terrifed to get on the scale and waited a few days for the bad news I knew was to come, Got ont he scale to find that I had not gained an ounce! Since I had been exercizing consistently for over 3 months at that point my metabolism had improved enoug to handle it.

From the start, I had told myself that once I had met my goal weight and kept it for several months I would do a" What Not to Wear" thing for myself and go on a blow out shopping spree. A funny thing happened in April 2008, when I had just a pound or two to go to meet my goal weight and I decided that I had to finally add weight/strength training to my workouts. I had previously done all cardio ( running and biking) as I absolutley hated doing weights/gym workouts. Due to everything I had read on MFP I finally broke down. I didnt have the motivation to go on my own, so I went to a personal trainer instead of spending a ton of money on clothes. That was the best money I have ever spent in my life.

Anyway, today, I do some kind of exercise 6 days per week for approx 1 1/2 hours per day and feel very weird when I miss ( which isnt often). I dont worry about"cheating", I eat what I want however what I want is very different than what is was a year ago. I dont use any excuses for missing workouts. I go when " I'm too tired", "I'm too hungover", "I have too much to do". Thats the only way it will work.

I never posted a before picture on MFP, but I have one on my profile. It is from late August 2007 at the Statue of Liberty ( as you can tell by the giant foot). The other two are from about a month ago and my current profile pic is from today right after the gym.

Sorry to ramble so much - just want to let everyone know ( especially you ladies over 40 or 50) that you guys can do it!! You may have to work your butt off ( like me - I LOVE Food!) - but it can be done.

Love you MFPer's

Laura

Replies

• denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So, one year ago today, I joined MFP. I had just turned 50 years old and was at least 30 pounds overweight. As others have stated something inside just snapped and I said "enough". I started walking 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week and figured as long as I did even just that- it was better than what I had been doing, which was nothing. Shortly I started increasing length of walks and amounts of hills. Then I added bike riding. After about 6 months I noticed that no matter how fast I walked or even how steep the hills were I rarely got winded - so I started jogging. I used MFP religiously to log what I ate and when/how much I exercised. I read everyones comments both positive and negative and kept at it,

My original goal was to lose 25 pounds from Sept 15 07 to Dec 27, 07 when I was going to visit my sister in Europe. I missed that one by one pound - but got on the plane having lost 24 pounds and while very proud of myself, was somewhat worried about how much I would gain on vacation. Had a great time over New Years, ate, drank and did not excerise for 9 days. When I got back, was terrifed to get on the scale and waited a few days for the bad news I knew was to come, Got ont he scale to find that I had not gained an ounce! Since I had been exercizing consistently for over 3 months at that point my metabolism had improved enoug to handle it.

From the start, I had told myself that once I had met my goal weight and kept it for several months I would do a" What Not to Wear" thing for myself and go on a blow out shopping spree. A funny thing happened in April 2008, when I had just a pound or two to go to meet my goal weight and I decided that I had to finally add weight/strength training to my workouts. I had previously done all cardio ( running and biking) as I absolutley hated doing weights/gym workouts. Due to everything I had read on MFP I finally broke down. I didnt have the motivation to go on my own, so I went to a personal trainer instead of spending a ton of money on clothes. That was the best money I have ever spent in my life.

Anyway, today, I do some kind of exercise 6 days per week for approx 1 1/2 hours per day and feel very weird when I miss ( which isnt often). I dont worry about"cheating", I eat what I want however what I want is very different than what is was a year ago. I dont use any excuses for missing workouts. I go when " I'm too tired", "I'm too hungover", "I have too much to do". Thats the only way it will work.

I never posted a before picture on MFP, but I have one on my profile. It is from late August 2007 at the Statue of Liberty ( as you can tell by the giant foot). The other two are from about a month ago and my current profile pic is from today right after the gym.

Sorry to ramble so much - just want to let everyone know ( especially you ladies over 40 or 50) that you guys can do it!! You may have to work your butt off ( like me - I LOVE Food!) - but it can be done.

Love you MFPer's

Laura
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    YOu look terrific. Thank you for your story.
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    Wow, you look wonderful. Congrats on your lifestyle change. If I can look anywhere close to as good as you do when I am 50 I will be so happy. I am still in search of that place where there are no excuses anymore.

Congrats again on your huge accomplishment!

Amy
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    CONGRATS on your success!:drinker: Cheers!
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Congrats on reaching your goal and I know you will keep it up and stay healthy. That healthy feeling must feeling wonderful.
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Wow Laura ... you have really inspired me! I'm going to be 50 in 6 months and I know it is time for me to be different. Congratulations and thank you for a wonderful example!
  • tamifanny
    Options
    Happy Anniversary:drinker:

I decided to quit spending so much time on MFP so...tonight I thought I'll read just one post & it was yours! I'm so glad I did!

You look absolutely Fantastic! :happy: I will be 49 in 2 weeks & thought my looking good days were long gone but...you have given me a new outlook. I haven't met to many people that are my age here. I'm so happy for you & your accomplishments.

Your Abs look so tight & you have guns too! I was recently told that the skin on our arms start to sag with age like our face but you have proven that can be changed.

How is your energy level now? Probably through the roof?

Congratulations & thank you for sharing your successful story with us:drinker:

Hugs,
    Tamara:flowerforyou:
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! YOU LOOK GREAT! Way to go... you have worked hard to accomplish so much... and it shows!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    :drinker: CONGRATS for your great year!!! YEY YOU!!!

And thank you so much for sharing your story. Great information!

Keep up the fantabulous work, yey you!!!!:drinker:
  • denmother46
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. To Tamara and Tresa - we "vintage" ladies have to stick together. I wasn't sure how my body would react since I am over 50. I had a feeling that I would kind of snap back because I think alot of it is hereditary and my mom had 4 kids and never put on an ounce- she also never had loose skin or stretch marks. I didnt get all of her genes ( thanks dad!) but I did get quite a few. My arms definitely look better that when I started but still have some loose stuff underneath, I'm not going to sweat that......I've earned the right to have some flab. Besides, you should see my face close up....no one would mistake me for a youngster - but thats OK too.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

You look fantastic!!:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal and within a year!! You are an inspiration!!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You look awesome -- :smokin:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I was wondering where you've been. . .apparently busy getting fabulous results through strength training.

I admit, it's my least favorite part of working out. But man, oh man. . .is your midsection an inspiration!

You look amazing!:flowerforyou:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing !!!!!!!!!

you look amazing and you sound very happy, it shows that eating and exercising right doesnt only help your body but your mind too !!!

hope the best for you in the future !!

may
  • LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You look really GREAT!!!! You have great will power!! You are an inspiration to keep going!! I just love seeing everyone's before & after pictures. It's amazing.

Thanks for sharing and Happy Anniversary!!!!
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    UM is it just me or is your age off a decade or two ??? you look younger than me! and I'm 33! Maybe you should check your birth cert again and make sure???:wink:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, I just started MFP and so far it seems too good to be true, I sometimes start to think, will following this plan really help me lose weight in a healthy way and stop yo-yoing back and forth? So it's so good to hear from a long-termer who can say that yes it really does work. Thanks for posting this and congrats on meeting all of your goals!!! You definitely do NOT look 51. I would think you were 30 -- 35.
  • denmother46
    Options
    Wow, again thank to all for the kind words. As far as not looking 51 - check out the sun damage on my chest (eeeww - bad sun, bad sun!-) that comes from being a California girl. The lines on my face reflect my age, but I have earned everyone of them!!
  • rachel82
    Options
    Amazing! Truly amazing! you look wonderful! Tell me...what kind of core exercises did you do for the mommy belly problem?! :happy: I finally dropped to 9 lbs away from my goal weight and i have flabby skin! Yikes!!!!! :sick: Could really use some advise from the 'pro'! :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!