water retention or weight???

Options
My weight can fluctuate anywhere from 1-4 pounds on a day to day basis...I don't get it...Over this past week I went from 140# down to 138# (yesterday weighing in at 138.2) and today I get on the scale and its 140.2#! WTH!?! I weigh same time everyday, after I use the bathroom and with no clothes...I have changed nothing in my diet and have nothing new in my exercise regimen...I just want to cry!

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate up to 3 lbs a day due to water retention. Did you drink enough water in the past few days? Maybe up your water intake a bit for a few days, and I bet you'll see a difference. I was also weighing every day, and it does get frustrating to see that, so I started weighing once a week.
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    the same thing happens to me too just hang in there! :smile:
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing everyday. Choose one weigh day each week and stick to that day every week. :smile:
  • coxy1968
    Options
    on other diets i was on and off the scales everytime i used the bathroom and it really isnt healthy. I now weigh every Thursday morning and only then.
    It used to drive me crazy but not anymore:happy:
  • justevil00
    justevil00 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone. While weighing everyday can be encouraging, it can also be discouraging. I weigh in daily, sometimes obsessively, ok, always obsessively. I only track once a week though. Last week, I had a 1 pound gain from the week before. That sucked! So I had to track it. The VERY NEXT day, I was down that weight and then some. This week, I lost 4.5...compensating for last weeks 1 pound gain. Its all about the LONG term goal of this and not the short term. You didn't...Ok, well, I will only speak for myself...I suddenly wake up one morning and find myself fat. It took me a long time to get this way and now I have to jump the hurdles to get me where I am not. Don't get discouraged! Set yourself goals and if you meet them great! If not, reanalyze. I was supposed to be at 199.9 today and Im at 201.5. Bummer, but maybe next week, I set ambitious goals. :) Keep at it and don't worry about that hateful mean scale.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see the point of only weighing once a week. On that particular day, you could be at a "peak" or a "valley". It's not like those go away, just because you don't weigh yourself every day. For me anyway, seeing the overall trend by getting weighed every day, and taking the peaks and valleys into consideration is more helpful. Today I was up a pound and a half from Saturday morning....and about a pound from last Monday. If I only weighed myself on Mondays, I'd still be up (and still be frustrated!)

We all know the impacts of water, and sodium, and "tom" (although I'm too old for that :laugh: ), and muscle development, etc. It is the trend that is important. And right now I am frustrated more by the trend I am seeing (plateau for weeks) than by the pound and a half gain over the weekend.
  • noble1987
    Options
    I have to agree with Sunshine... Weigh in weekly hun, NOT daily! so much better for you x
  • angie718
    Options
    I weigh in daily because it was recommended to me, as well, I feel like when I go a week and not know my weight then I am setting myself up for failure. Like today, I know I am up, so I will adjust my diet...more water, less sodium, etc...just sucks. I have been doing this "lifestyle" change since Nov 2009 and I am just now seeing results (sniff) and the frustration is really getting to me. But I am glad to know that I am not the only one that experiences this.

I "officially" weigh in on Thursdays with a trainer, I just track on MFP daily ...

Thanks for the advice/thoughts :)