P90X results question...

Options
I started P90X on February 18th, so today will be my 11th day. How quickly should I be seeing results?

I'm not following the nutrition plan, but I am tracking calories through MFP. MFP has me eating roughly 1440 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week and with P90X workouts I'm trying to net that 1440, meaning that I'm actually eating more than 1440 so that total intake minus calories burned is roughly 1440. I lost 2 lbs the first week, but so far in the 2nd I've already put 1 back on, but that could be due to added muscle. So as far as nutrition goes I think I'm doing a good enough job.
I'm seeing results already in my strength and ability to push harder through the workouts, but I'm not seeing any physical changes yet. I've heard that in Phase 1 most people don't see much as far as a physical change, is that true or just rumor?

If you've done P90X or currently are, how quickly were you seeing results in your physical appearance? Is it minimal in Phase 1 and then through Phases 2 and 3 the results really start to show?

Replies

• cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more so you won't necessarily see a weight change. I would measure by inches lost instead and how your clothes feel.

I started P90X Lean (because I wanted to build up my cardio first) last week and I already feel like I have more energy. I'm not going by my scale just yet because it's the inches that count.

That's my 2 cents :)
  • twhitmore22
    twhitmore22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me it was kinda slow in the beginning. I am starting the 4th week in phase 2 and I lost 3.8 this week. I am not following the nutrition plan either. I have lost 9lbs since starting p90x. I can definately tell in my clothes that my body is changing and I am getting stronger.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing results until 3-4 weeks after I started the program. I became a lot stronger...however, I only lost 5 lbs doing the work out. I think mainly I lost fat and gained muscle. However, once I stopped doing P90x after the program, I gained it back since I wasn't doing strength training.
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    The first thing to remember is it's only been 11 days. You'll see results but it may take some time. The most important thing to take away is that you can't get discouraged. Work hard and the results will come. Concentrate on the level of effort in the workouts, your ability to do the exercises and focus on building on that. The results come from dedication to working hard. You'll see them little by little. By the time you finish the first month you'll probably see a difference in your arms. The second and third months will bring more in other areas. Just be patient and as Tony says, keep pushing play.
  • holmesa98
    Options
    My husband and I are doing P90X right now. This is about our 13th day. We've both already noticed more muscle definition. We've both already lost about 4 lbs. The exercises are easier now, and we'll soon be moving to the second phase. But really, those are the only changes we've seen thus far.
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I felt results pretty quickly in Phase 1. Just little things like my jeans needing a belt and stuff like that. I only lost 4-5 lbs (which I was very happy with) but lost many inches. I would just wait until you measure yourself after phase 1 and then you will really see your progress. Good Luck!!!
  • bostonsportzfan
    Options
    It'll take a little more time for you to see the changes. Most of the change will occur between phase 2 and phase 3. You will see a change of your fitness level though very soon. Which version are you doing, classic, lean or doubles? I LOVE p90x and your body will change, trust me :) I've been doing it since last year and the results were pretty awesome.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started P90X two days after you and have almost identical goals (2 lbs/week) and net cals/day (1430 for me) and I also not following the nutrition plan and using MFP as a guide. The way I look at it, I can't make wholesale changes and expect to be successful, so I am watching my calorie intake on MFP and trying to eat right. I am sure that the protein, fat, carb percentages I am taking in are different than what P90X's guide prescribes, but I am not eating junk either.

I weighed in at 217.4 prior to my first day of starting (just before my fitness test) and I weighed in this morning at 215 so I am pretty happy with the early returns. My measurements weren't all that different from the previous week (I weigh myself everyday and measure with the tape and body fat caliper every Sunday) but I do feel slightly stronger (and sore!) and am ready to kill week 2.

I am doing the Lean program and plan on seeing how things progress. My early goals are to finish Lean and then try Classic or possibly doubles (using my elliptical instead of Cardio-X for some of the routines to mix it up).

If you are tracking calories on your strength training days with an HRM, make sure that you are discounting that burn by about 1/3 (log only 2/3 of the burn). I have found that the HRM is very inaccurate for strength training burns and there are blogs/message boards that support that.

After blathering on, my simple answer is keep pushing play, keep bringing it, track your calories on MFP, and don't take your strength training burns at face value and you should start seeing results. There are too many on this site that have reported tremendous success for it not to be true. We just gotta put the work in. Feel free to friend me. We can't have enough friends, especially those that are going through the P90X journey.

Peace...
  • cjmariani
    Options
    It depends on how you define "results". I'm on my second round of p90x. The first time, I didn't feel like I "saw" results, but the scale and my belt told me differently. I'll admit, I also wasn't that good at tracking calories or using any nutrition plan either.

This time around, I'm using a better nutrition plan (using MFP) and I'm in phase "3" right now. I am amazed how my body looks, and how much better I feel, so I'd say it is working.

I've had to somewhat modify my P90x workout because the first time I did it, I didn't ease myself into it and I ended up tearing the meniscus in my right knee (and I also think my left as well). So a lot of the jump training and let workouts I really can't do. So I substitute my own version of Cardio on those days, and on the leg days I do different stuff than what p90x suggests.

I also don't do the Yoga, because it bores me and I find I don't really put the effort into it. Maybe the next time I do it I'll try it again.

Sounds like you and I are about the same height and weight, because I also try to 'net' 1440 calories a day.

P90x is great, but it really is just like any other excercise and eating modification program. It took me years to get as out of shape (ok..fat!) as I was (ok...and still am), so I should expect that I won't see the results that the people on TV see in 90 days. I just simply didn't start off in that great a shape to begin with.
  • chuckbrunner
    Options
    Hi JS,

I started P90X around January 1, I am in in week 8 (Recovery week) for phase 2. You will start noticing more changes in your body during the end of the1 phase and into the 2nd phase. I have 17 pounds so far, but all my clothes are fitting better and my strength and stamina have been increasing.

Like Tony says "Just keep hitting Play" and you will be pleased with the results and the fact that you completed the 90 days. I did it twice last year.

i was pleased, but I tend to struggle in the later months of the year and around the holidaysi.

I also don't follow the P90X calorie plan, but i am following myfitnesspal.com calorie of 1440 a day to lose 2 pounds a week like you are doing.

One of the things that I do is wear a heart rate monitor for everything then i put the amount of calories burned in cardiovascular for my daily exercise that way i get the calories towards for my daily calory goal.

I hope this helps.

Chuck
  • jswitaj
    jswitaj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am doing the classic version. I heard it produced better results than the lean. My current weight is 205 with a goal of about 185, maybe less but I won't decide that until I see what I'm like at my goal. Like I said, week 1 I lost 2 lbs, and so far in week 2 i've put back on 1. My initial thought is that it was due to muscle gains, but I did cheat last night on the diet and althought I was within my calorie goal for the day I only ate 2 meals and loaded the second one to make the calories.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a starting picture like they recommend. I'm really enjoying the workouts and I feel better and think there are some slight results, but without a picture it's just what I think I see and no proof.

I started using a HRM at the beginning of week 2 but the numbers were so high for calories burned that I've been using only 65% of what it says as my calories burned. For Chest & Back w/ AbX it said I burned over 1000, Plyo 1200, and Shoulders & Arms w/ AbX 950, so I've estimated 650, 780, and 600 respectively.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I started P90X on February 18th, so today will be my 11th day. How quickly should I be seeing results?

I'm not following the nutrition plan, but I am tracking calories through MFP. MFP has me eating roughly 1440 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week and with P90X workouts I'm trying to net that 1440, meaning that I'm actually eating more than 1440 so that total intake minus calories burned is roughly 1440. I lost 2 lbs the first week, but so far in the 2nd I've already put 1 back on, but that could be due to added muscle. So as far as nutrition goes I think I'm doing a good enough job.
    I'm seeing results already in my strength and ability to push harder through the workouts, but I'm not seeing any physical changes yet. I've heard that in Phase 1 most people don't see much as far as a physical change, is that true or just rumor?

If you've done P90X or currently are, how quickly were you seeing results in your physical appearance? Is it minimal in Phase 1 and then through Phases 2 and 3 the results really start to show?

Today was my 20th day, and so far I have lost 6 lbs and 1.5 inches off of my hips....I posted my 11th day results, and u can see some changes.....I am following the nutrition plan though....good luck to u!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I had no weight change at all in my 90 days of P90X I finished last week. I did however lose 1 full size. I personally didn't really notice it in myself until the last 3-4 weeks. Others noticed in me, but I didn't.

I followed the food plan online, tracked my calories here, and admittedly never ate over my calories and probably remained too far under for the program. I was never sore or felt drained, so I didn't worry about it. I finally focused on increasing my proteins more the last 3 weeks.

I'm doing Insanity now, and the first few days have kicked my butt, I may need to eat more but my calorie burn is the same as P90X was, so I'm taking it day by day.

My mom came to visit and hadn't seen me since November and was really impressed at my shape of my shoulders and the definition in my arms. But that was beginning of program to end of program results.

I didn't take before and after photos, I don't do photos. By I did notice measurement changes about about 6 weeks, I'd lost 4" in my waist alone by then.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have completed 5 weeks of P90X. My weight has not changed, but I have lost 3 1/2 inches. My thighs and calves are firmer. I can see muscles in my arms again. And I am starting to see changes in my abs. It takes time but changes are coming!!

Keep going and good luck!!
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    JS: You are not alone! I'm beginning week 4 today and have gained 3 pounds! I was (and still kinda am) freaking out but just trying to think positive and looking forward to the first measurements on Day 30. Just hide that damn scale!!! Stupid things make us lose focus on what's really important....FEELING HEALTHY!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I started seeing results within a week. But I didn;t go off of my weight --instead, I went by measurement of arms, waist, neck, and thighs. The scale didn't move much but the size certainly improved.