Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Frustrated today ...

So I have been on this journey of mine since Aug 2010 and have a fantastic job of dropping the weight. I hit 255 and then down to 253 then back up and went back and for like a month and a half. So I said ok..this must be the "plateau" everyone is talking about so I changed up my routine changed up what I was eating and everything. So I nicely went down to 250 then back up to 251 and did that for about three weeks and then this last week I went down to 248. I was SO excited.I have never been under 250 as far back as I can remember (not literally but you all know what I mean). So I am a little frustrated.Ive been doing an exercise video at home and it has me doing stuff I have never done before so I am sure part of it is muscle because as I do these new things every day it gets easier and easier so I am sure that I am building muscle. The other part is I am constipated ( I know TMI ) which doesnt help the scale.I have watched my calories and have worked out EVERYDAY so there is no excuse to me gaining back the 2 lbs that had me in love with my scale. ARGH! I know the reasons, well the most likely reasons but after losing 78 lbs I cant handle seeing it come back on. So deep breath and here is today working it out today and busting my hump to see a difference in the morning. Yes I am a weirdo and weigh myself everyone morning and even though Im frustrated I dont give up and dont just shove my face full of whatever to make up for it. It keeps me pushing myself everyday to stay on track as I know there will be good days and bad days. Thanks for listening :) have a great day and keep your head high only you can make you succeed :)

Replies

• 1st of all stop weighing yourself everyday it WILL make u nuts! Once a week, 1st thing in the AM. 2nd drink MORE WATER. And belive it or not, it MAY be time to UP YOUR calories. Try it for 2 weeks, see if it helps
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    I would love to hear what you are doing for your workouts to see what more can be changed up. Also, what are you eating?

Oh and never go by weight alone. The guy that signed me up at the gym is awesome. He got my name wrong once and hasn't forgot it since, but still calls me Lisa just for fun. He is a riot. Anyhow the other day I brought my friend in to get her to join and he said-so you have lost either weight or inches. He knows I am a personal trainer and I don't really go by the numbers on the scale-if I did it would make me nuts. I told him-the scale has not moved at all, but I am down in inches. My skirts that were tight on me a few weeks ago are now really loose. Don't obsess on the scale.
  • Hi! I understand your frustrations. I started out weighing 216 pounds on January 1st, 2011. I got down to 195 and now back up to 197.6. I to weigh myself daily. I need to stop that! I'm also working out alone and I find that hard. My friends that joined me on my weight loss journey in the beginning have all stopped but I don't want to. I want to keep going and keep pushing myself to my limits but it's definitely hard. You talked about your constipation. I completely understand! I drink protein shakes every day so it doesn't help in that, "uh ummm" area lol. I found that taking Turmeric is helping me stay "regular". It is completely natural and safe.

Good luck on the rest of your journey. Congratulations on losing so much already!
  • I'm in the same boat, working out hard (5-6 days a week) and eating perfectly (5 times a day, low carbs/all lean meat, super low salt.) I've been hovering around the same weight for almost 3 weeks now. I started to weigh myself more and realize that it is a HUGE DEmotivator. It gets me bummed which makes me want to say "the heck with this!" But I refuse to give up, this is a marathon not a sprint. So today I'm going to get my body fat tested, I am going to rely on that, not my scale. When you are putting in the work and working 100% then there will be progress. I think my progress is not best judged by the home scale because I, like you, are building gorgeous muscle. So its an attitude adjustment, give yourself huge praise for doing the work, not for what the scale says. If you don't then you are missing the chance to give yourself and your willpower the thanks it so rightly deserves! If you're putting in the work and nothing changes over 3 months then you would need to access what part of your plan is not quite right. Finally, right down what steps you take to get over this hurdle- what mindset do you have to change? what thoughts can you replace and what will you say in their place? Maybe it's also time to find a goal that helps keep you focused, like a 5K run/wallk. You can do it!!
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    First: Congratulations on the TERRIFIC accomplishment of 77 lbs lost. Wow! Second: You lost more than 10 lbs a month and your body needs a time to adapt to that much weight loss on every level--physically (balance, etc, hormone secretion, skin needs to shrink); emotionally (handling being noticed, new feelings that the weight may have been supressing, etc), even spiritually, how you feel in the world. Your metabolism is needing to stablize (its fighting you right now) so that it can begin to give up more weight. Give yourself some time--plan on it in fact--to stop the wieght-loss and move to a stabilization/maintainance for 8-12 weeks. Get used to the new you, enjoy it. And Third: Your body is not a machine; treat it with the respect that it deserves rather than hating it for being fat, losing too slow, needing to catch its breath so to speak.

You are going to finish losing the weight, I have no doubt whatsoever. And its a slow process. That's why I keep falling off my plan. This time I didn't set my full goal. I set 2/3's of it so I won't be so weirded out by the total and how slow the loss will get near the end. This is the last period of dieting I will ever do and I am doing it all by the book this time: focusing on fruits/veggies, eating enough calories so my body doesn't go into calorie conservation mode, exercising moderately, seeing a therapist for my eating disorder and body image issues, and respecting my body for carrying so much weight for so long.

The last time I lost 60 lbs I did so quickly. I gained it back just as quickly. This time I want to lose slowly so that I can keep it off forever--its not just about the weight loss; its about living life as a slender, active, beautiful woman. I only thought about the weight loss before, not about the aftermath--how does a fat woman live as a slender, active, beautiful woman?? I didn't have the skills to do so. Take this pause in your weight loss to begin answering this for yourself.