protein

Options
does anyone else think that the protein amount on this website is really low????

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    yes. i prefer 40/40/20
  • dark21
    dark21 Posts: 18
    Options
    I just don't pay any attention to it
  • AdrianCountsToo
    Options
    Yes, definitely.. Especially considering that when I work out heavily I am taking in way more protein than my cardio days
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i think it is! I changed mine to 30%
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    way low!
  • TheDecision
    Options
    Yes it is... I think the "Guided" system they provide isn't very flexible. I'd be screwed if they didn't have the CUSTOM option.

My split is:

35 / 45 / 20
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It depends if you mean how much they say in percent, or strictly by grams.

Percentage is an individual thing and there's no magic combo and it depends on what you are doing and what your goals are.

However, when it comes to grams, it might be low if you believe what the FDA and RDA says. Their fat and protein recommendations are WAY more than needed. I never hit my protein 'goal'. Always under. I get 40-75 grams of protein per day and am sometimes over my carb recommendation (because I eat a lot of fruit so I don't worry about that). I train 8-10 hours per week (usually that's 11 workouts--two a days Tues thru Fri, one a day Mon, Sat, Sun). I've been training like that for about 4 years now for triathlon/duathlon and, running and bike racing. Feel fine, no actual deficiets, but according to regular standards, I should be weak and frail with a low amount of muscle tissue.

The American nutrition standards are NOT based on what our bodies need, but based on the what the average American gets--and by what food organizations (Dairy Assoc and Beef/Chicken/Port Councils) say we should get. Keep in mind, the average American is overweight and too many are on meds for cholesterol, high BP, etc.

Most people don't know how much protein it is that you actually need. I don't claim to know the amount, but know we are way over proteined and what we think the ratio should be is way screwed up due to all the hype about protein and high protein/low carb diets. Sports based studies that were done to determine ratio, not amount, say your carb and protein intake should be 4:1. That's for every 4 grams of carbs, you need 1 gram of protein (or in the ball park). An easier way to think about it is for every protein gram you eat, you NEED to eat 4 grams of carbs in order for that protein to be used by your body. Don't worry about eating them at the same time, buut by the end of the day... So, if you get 50 grams of protein, your carbs should have been 200 grams. If you got 90 grams protein and 200 grams carbs, about 40 grams of that protein did nothing for you--it was waisted. Your body worked harder to get rid of it the unused, unneeded protein--putting unnecessary stress on your digestive system.

If you don't go out of your way to make sure you "get your protein" (meaning, don't focus on getting a big protein meal or extra meat/protein powder) and make sure you take in good carbs and a lot of vegetables, a strange thing will happen: You'll naturally hover around that 4:1 ratio. Most good carbs are decent sources of protein and vegetables have a little too.

~Mario
    http://supermariocycling.blogspot.com
  • TheDecision
    Options
    @ Mario... what are these sports studies you speak of? I've heard of 4:1 immediately following endurance exercise to refuel, but never as a general rule of diet.

And I've never heard anything about the body needing that 4:1 ratio to process the protein properly. The only limitation I am aware of is the body not being able to process more than ~50g in one sitting.
  • supermariocycling
    Options
    Ok, yes, the studies I refer to are based on post exercise, but I assume it crosses over to regular life based on other data (some below). But as you said, its important to consume a proper ratio post-exercise though. Although I am skeptical of 'governing' agencies due to their influence by lobby groups, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommended daily ratio's are:

* 45 percent to 65 percent carbohydrates
    * 10 percent to 35 percent protein
    * 20 percent to 35 percent fat
    (you can find the USDHH studies, or summaries of them, by of course--google)

Based on above, the ratio of carbs to protein shakes down roughly 2:1 to 4:1. If you use the numbers above to go low on the carbs (45%) to high on the protein (35%) then that still has more carbs than protein. Since many of the members here are trying get or stay healthy by losing weight and/or exercising, it's important, I think, to keep the carbs/protein close to 4:1 for nutritional balance, regulation of brain and other systems running properly, and for energy purposes. There's a lot more to it than I could possible comprehend, but I see people on the high protein diets get hit with nasty cravings which leads to binge eating or junk food cravings that sets them back; their weight yo-yo's (which is not good for several reasons). I think it comes down to a well balanced, low-to-no-processed food diet to keep nutrients steady and everything functioning as it should.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I base my nutrition on Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. Great book.

He reccomends 55% carb, 30% protein, 15% fat. MFP is definitely at lower end of protein recomnedation, I think its 15%.
  • supermariocycling
    Options
    Like it. I'll have to check out Burn The Fat by Venuto. Thanks.