STUCK at 285lbs!!!!!

Options
Ok so ive been on this life change path now for almost a month and i am down 10lbs so far, Ive been eating less then 1500 calories a day and working out at the gym 3 nights a week burning 490-500 calories each night...however my scale is stuck on 285 and goes between 285-286 or 283-285..IDK what to do im so frustraited at this whole thing im working my tale off and the scale wont budge!! my clothes are fitting different however i feel like the scale is haunting me bc im not seeing it go down its been stuck for about 2 weeks now!! I just want the scale to move!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    don't sweat the small stuff, it's a long way back to eden! my scale has been stuck for about 6 weeks, and as tough as it is, i just have to force myself not to care and to stay the course. i know that it will happen eventually. and i the meantime, i am still reaping so many benefits - i'm still shrinking, my clothes are fitting better, my endurance and strength are way up, and i feel a gazillion times better about myself - so long as i don't scale-obsess!

also, make sure are netting 1200 calories daily.

ie: 1500 (food) - 500 (workout) = 1000 net
    > you need to eat back 200 of what you burned to hit your 1200 mark

best of luck!
  • Thenewscott
    Options
    Keep your sodium low and your water high
  • LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you're working out at the gym, then it could be muscle gain and fat loss (muscle weighs more than fat remember!). Try measuring your fat percentage as well as your weight. If you are feeling a difference in the way your clothes fit, it means you're losing fat! (Yay!)

Sometimes your body will naturally plateau for a while before you lose weight. Or sometimes, you have to give it a bit of a push by either exercising a bit more (I find extra cardio helps) &/or decreasing calories for a day or two (or even adding for one day and then decreasing the next ... sometimes calorie confusion helps - just be sure you can control it)

Hope this helps!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating more of your calories and reducing your sodium intake? You should have your net calories at 1200 every day. Increase your calories, reduce your sodium intake and I promise the scale will start to move.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You'll probably need to eat a lot more right now and keep adjusting your calories as you lose weight. My guess is around 2200 cal/day. Your BMR is probably around 2000 so less than 1500 per day is pushing it way to far below BMR. for comparison that would be like me only eating 1000 cal/day which is not good at all. That 1200 people are spitting out doesn't safely apply to you right now unless a Dr. says so. You are more than 1000 calories below maintenance!!!!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Mine's doing the same at the min, however I haven't been drinking enough water so that could be an answer.
    The things im going to change this week are:
    Slightly more exercise
    really watching what I eat and making sure I stick to my 1280 calories.
    eating different foods, i.e not getting into a rut and eating the same foods.
    drinking loads more.
    It will come off at somepoint, This happens to me every few weeks or so, just stick with it.
  • picturesing
    Options
    I got excellent advice recently.....have you taken your measurements? After a really good week - I just knew the scale would reward me,,,,,,but I gained a pound - putting me at "0" pounds lost....I know my cloths feel different and can feel some muscles beginning to remember what they are for in my abs! LOL I've now done my measurements - and am considering only weighing every 2 weeks.
    Our "life path change" is a constant roller-coaster.....our bodies are in shock and anytime it gets the chance to have things be status-quo it will. Its about changing things up when we get stuck. But most important is to keep positive - negativity is like an infection and will take over if you let it. Try a different routine at the gym - change it up every month or so.
    I am positive I'm doing the right thing - no matter what the scale says.
    Best Wishes.......
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    First off you should workout more days on than off. So I would bump it up a day. Second is always my go to question I ask when people don't see results-are you strength training? This is such a great weight loss tool. If you are not doing it, I would suggest you start.
    First muscles don't like fat on them-work them-get rid of the fat. Second-you burn more sitting around when you have more lean mass(muscles). I am not saying bulk up, which most girls don't unless you take some sort of supplement. I love my strength training days so much that some times I want to give up on the cardio, but I don't I know there is room in there for it, especially if I want to keep doing my triathlons!!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Figure out your maintainance calories (the amount of calories that you can eat to lose/gain 0 pounds). It's 1,000 more than your MFP goal if you set your goal to be 2 pounds per week. Then set your NET calories goal (food calories - workout calories) to be around 25% of your maintainance. You can go up 200 calories or down 200 calories on any given day to mix it up. But, if my calculations are correct -- you're averaging more like 50% of your caloric goal.

For example, if your maintainance calories are 3,000 then you should aim for your NET calories to be between 2,000 and 2,500 per day.
  • AmandaLenn86
    AmandaLenn86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So are you saying i should eat 2000 cal a day and work off the 490-500 to get my 1500 cal a day??
  • mislove68
    Options
    Go to your goal and see what it says for maintenance calories. I looked at mine just to see as I do weight less but mine is 1800. So each person is different.

I also suggest working out everyday, or as least 6 days a week. If you cant go to the gym get a 30 minute video. I tried to lose my baby weight before and I was going to the gym 3 days a week and nothing changed. This time i workout everyday. And I am seeing about 1.5 pounds a week come off.

Also are you cheating on your diet? 1500 of unhealthy calories compared to 1500 healthy calories will make you stay or gain. I would say makes sure you dont eat the quick easy fast food. And drink water never soda.
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    You may need to eat more, if your net is less than 1200 per day. Make sure you are getting enough protein, especially on your workout days.

Could be that you are building muscle mass - compare your measurements over time and see if those are changing.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Amanda,

I would say that 1,000 calorie deficeit per day is the probably the most you should be doing right now. That is...

Maintainance Calories + Exercise Calories - Food Calories >= 1,000.
  • AmandaLenn86
    AmandaLenn86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Go to your goal and see what it says for maintenance calories. I looked at mine just to see as I do weight less but mine is 1800. So each person is different.

I also suggest working out everyday, or as least 6 days a week. If you cant go to the gym get a 30 minute video. I tried to lose my baby weight before and I was going to the gym 3 days a week and nothing changed. This time i workout everyday. And I am seeing about 1.5 pounds a week come off.

Also are you cheating on your diet? 1500 of unhealthy calories compared to 1500 healthy calories will make you stay or gain. I would say makes sure you dont eat the quick easy fast food. And drink water never soda.

I dont Cheat on my diet i eat healthy all week, If i do eat something fast food it will be one day and i make better choices, i have stopped drinking soda and have been since Feb 1st so now a month. Im working hard to lose this weight i have lost inches so i know its working, Im just frustraited with the scale because it wont move the way i want it to! I also did research on this yesterday and found that im not dirnking enough water or fluids period.. Im not a thirsty person i never have been so my goal is to keep doing what im doing and drink 8 glasses of water a day to hydrate..I also upped my calories to 1610 and on days i dont work out ill eat less then my cal. and days i work out ill eat more so that i stay about 1200 calories a day and dont go into starvation mode. ☺ thanks everyone!!
  • oubeth1
    oubeth1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I understand! I weight a little more then you and I notice that I tend to not eat enough of my calories when I work out. I would try to add in more veggies to your meals and drink plenty of water. Maybe that wil help. I am not at the point of knowing a definate answer but, I know you will get there. Keep up the great work you are doing!! :flowerforyou: