P90X recovery drink alternatives?

Options
Anybody else using a recovery drink that isn't the P90X/Beachbody brands? I'm almost done w/the first week & can't believe how sore I still am. I'd like to start using something afterward for muscle recovery. It's keeping me from doing all the exercises to the fullest because I'm in pain! Especially the Ab Ripper. I looked at Walmart & wasn't happy w/what I found there and/or the reviews from those brands. I don't want to "bulk up". I wanna look like the gals on the video! :wink:

Replies

• trodabaugh
    Options
    I am not sure what is in the P90X recovery drink. You may look at adding Whey Protein to support muscle growth and Creatine for recovery.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    It is funny to me when people try to do stuff to get rid of soreness. Look up: delayed onset muscle soreness and you will find out more about the soreness. According to my exercise phys class-not much you can do to get rid of it.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Supplement & Creatine...after each workout.
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Options
    With the first week you are going to be crazy sore! If you think about it..just look back and review what you just put your body through. It gets better after the second week. But of course once you move onto the next phase, you will be confusing your body all over again.
    If your woring hard in the workouts I would still take your recovery drink. It has the correct ratio of what you need after your work outs from muscle damage.
    In terms of bulking, there is no way that you can unless you were to start taking steroids. It's just not possible. Just stick with it everyday and you will make great progress.

So my point is it may not be that your recovery drink isn't working, your going to be sore the first couple of weeks no matter what. Make sure your stretching well. Don't get discouraged your going to love your transformation. The best thing you can do is work through the pain and not let that affect you not doing the workouts. Once you start your muscles will warm up and you will feel better.
    Trust me you will be able to walk again soon.

;-)
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Anybody else using a recovery drink that isn't the P90X/Beachbody brands? I'm almost done w/the first week & can't believe how sore I still am. I'd like to start using something afterward for muscle recovery. It's keeping me from doing all the exercises to the fullest because I'm in pain! Especially the Ab Ripper. I looked at Walmart & wasn't happy w/what I found there and/or the reviews from those brands. I don't want to "bulk up". I wanna look like the gals on the video! :wink:

Just curious what you have against the P90X Results and Recovery Shake?
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with pftjill for the most part. You are going to be sore until your body gets used to doing what you are doing. Unfortunately for you, Tony is going to switch up your routine at that point to keep you sore. The supplements will help get blood flowing to your damaged muscles to get them on the mend, but you are still going to feel something. The pain should lessen as you progress, but you will never fully eliminate it.

As for AbRipper X, what a pain in the *kitten*. I couldnt get through that video. It beat me up. I thought, wow...what a nice core workout I am getting while I did cardio x and synergy...then the next day's lineup was AbRipper. I laid there on the floor. I couldnt lift my legs after the first 5 minutes.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    The P90X Results and Recovery is the same thing as any other brand. They all just have their litte tweaks that make them unique. Recovery formulas are 4:1 carb(mostly fast)):protein ratio + electrolytes and some through in Bcomplex, other vitamins, creatine, etc.

The soreness will ease with time. The only affect I ever felt from a recovery drink is the rejuvenation you experience by replacing that spent glycogen from a big high heart rate calorie burn.

I used Endurox R4 and GNC AMP Endurance Booster.
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options

Just curious what you have against the P90X Results and Recovery Shake?
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    I don't have anything against the P90X brands. Just thinking money & something I can just pick up at a local store.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've heard chocolate milk will help... although I opt for the P90X recovery drink personally.....
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I read 1% chocolate milk is good for recovery. I had been drinking about 1/2c to 1c of that but I never really had much of an issue with soreness...I'm thinking because I'm a runner so my leg muscles were pretty strong. I have had trouble with my blood sugar so my Dr. told me to up my protein. I picked up GNC Whey Protein AMP powder (vanilla) and used it today for the first time...the taste is good. I went with this one since I am supposed to watch my carbs and it is lower in carbs than others.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Ok I have done a lot of research on this subject and the best alternative I found is a product called Aftershock Recovery by Myogenix. I have been using it since I started P90X and have had amazing results. I was in the same boat as you. After my first week I couldn't even sleep I was so sore. After I started taking the Aftershock my soreness is barely noticeable and my strength and performance went up as well.

A few other cool facts is it is loaded with an 8g amino stack with all of your important muscle builders like glutamine, 7.25g BCAA's which are also very important in muscle recovery, 1,500mg Joint Recovery like Glucosamine and Chondroitin, and Creatine. There's also 34g of protein per serving as opposed to only 10g in the P90X drink. The flavors I have had are amazing as well (Orange Avalanche and Pina Colada). It is also a lot less carbs and way less sugar. The price is also cheaper as well. You can find it on Amazon for about $25 for 2.64lbs. I have been ordering it on there and it only takes a few days to get.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CI0GKQ?ie=UTF8&seller=A1IGX0NXKOHHUV&sn=enhanced sports nutrition

If you want a great alternative, this is it!
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Ok I have done a lot of research on this subject and the best alternative I found is a product called Aftershock Recovery by Myogenix. I have been using it since I started P90X and have had amazing results. I was in the same boat as you. After my first week I couldn't even sleep I was so sore. After I started taking the Aftershock my soreness is barely noticeable and my strength and performance went up as well.

A few other cool facts is it is loaded with an 8g amino stack with all of your important muscle builders like glutamine, 7.25g BCAA's which are also very important in muscle recovery, 1,500mg Joint Recovery like Glucosamine and Chondroitin, and Creatine. There's also 34g of protein per serving as opposed to only 10g in the P90X drink. The flavors I have had are amazing as well (Orange Avalanche and Pina Colada). It is also a lot less carbs and way less sugar. The price is also cheaper as well. You can find it on Amazon for about $25 for 2.64lbs. I have been ordering it on there and it only takes a few days to get.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CI0GKQ?ie=UTF8&seller=A1IGX0NXKOHHUV&sn=enhanced sports nutrition

If you want a great alternative, this is it!

I need to check this out!!!! The pina colada sounds yummy!!! I think the P90X tastes like Tang LOL
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    This stuff is amazing. I've gone through almost 2 tubs so far!
  • pyro13g
    Options
    This stuff is amazing. I've gone through almost 2 tubs so far!

It is not a good choice for optimal recovery from a high glycogen burn workout like most of the P90X workouts. Many could do with 2-4 servings of the P90X formula and they should also be eating a meal afterwords also.
  • serendipity_2050
    Options
    What is this P90X that everyone is talking about and is it worth however much it costs?
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    What is this P90X that everyone is talking about and is it worth however much it costs?

P90X is an Extreme at home work out program by Tony Horton. There are also supplements that are available with the P90X name on them. I happen to use a 3 of the different supplements, but it is not necessary to do the program.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I used to drink the P90X Recovery drink and it's phenomenal. Tastes like a Creamsicle. I actually contemplated making ice cubes out of the stuff it tasted so good. Problem for me is that I eat paleo. The P90X recovery drink has WAY too many carbs for someone trying to keep their carb intake below 50g's.

I switched over to Accelerade Hydro. Still has the 4:1 ratio with only 60 calories and 10g's carbs per scoop. I only use one scoop.

I also agree with others that if you're looking for a recovery drink, on the cheap, chocolate milk is the way to go.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    If you're Paleo and do endurance training the fast sugar is OK for glycogen replacement. Necessary evil both for training and during events. There's a book on how to manage it, Paleo for Athletes.