How Many calories do you burn a day?

Options
Just curious... what the average calorie burn is for people working out and actually losing weight..

Replies

• esthertsivia
    esthertsivia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In an average exercise (45 mins) I burn 500-600 calories. I try to work out 5 times a day.

I go to classes and do workouts on my own. Just dancing around during a TV show , if you do the moves bigger and more intense, can lose you 600 calories during 45 mins. I'm talking about jumping around al ot, knee lifts , that sort of stuff, not just shaking the hips. lol.

I have lost 30 pounds, but a lot of it was really slow. Now, I'm eating my calories and I'm losing an average of 1 lb a week. I'm 138 now so it's getting hard to lose weight .
  • travelsoul88
    Options
    Wow that’s amazing - maybe I will consider a dancing program... I’m not a fan of dancing mainly because I can’t and just feel incredibly awkward when I do... But maybe if I try it in the privacy of my home first :) thank you for sharing
  • esthertsivia
    Options
    No, its not regular dancing. You can't imagine. I cannot dance at all. I got rhythm recently from going to the gym. haha.

Heres basically what I do:
    Jog in place, when i get tired march. Knee lifts. Jump up and down (touching the toes), jumping jacks, and then random dancing aka flailing in the air randomly. Haha. But if you put on your favorite CD it energizes you,watch your favorite show it also just keeps you entertained.

The best thing about doing it at home is , yeah, really who cares if you can dance haha. Just keep moving!
    Good luck :)
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I burn between 600-700 when I workout at the gym. Usually I do tredmill and stationary bike. I burn between 900-1500+ when I ride my bike outside. It just depends on how many miles I do.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    In an average exercise (45 mins) I burn 500-600 calories. I try to work out 5 times a day.

I hope you mean 5 times a WEEK, haha
  • travelsoul88
    Options
    thank you for sharing - I think I need to go burn some more calories to catch up - I really want to get a bike for this summer
  • esthertsivia
    Options
    WOAH you are right. Definitely not 5 times a day haha!
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    No, its not regular dancing. You can't imagine. I cannot dance at all. I got rhythm recently from going to the gym. haha.

Heres basically what I do:
    Jog in place, when i get tired march. Knee lifts. Jump up and down (touching the toes), jumping jacks, and then random dancing aka flailing in the air randomly. Haha. But if you put on your favorite CD it energizes you,watch your favorite show it also just keeps you entertained.

The best thing about doing it at home is , yeah, really who cares if you can dance haha. Just keep moving!
    Good luck :)

I do something kinda similar. I'm a working mom and my hubby works nights, so gym isn't really much of an option for me. My 2 tricks:
    1. While I'm doing chores I incorporate cardio, I jog while putting things in place, run in place while folding laundry and loading dishwasher, jog while putting toys away, etc. In between I'll randomly drop and do push-ups, sit ups, tricep extensions, etc for 30 seconds, then get up and keep going.
    2. While I watch TV I sneak in 10-20 mins of cardio by doing random cardio: jumping jacks, jogging in place (or in circles), running man, kicks, squats, fake jump rope, etc. Sometimes I will also weave in the strength stuff too, like push up and sit ups.

Just 20 minutes burns 200 cals and if I do it while doing something else it takes my mind off of it and hardly seems like that much work!

I eat about 1400-1600 cals/day (depending on how much I've worked out) and see a steady 1 lb/week loss. The trick for me is to make sure I'm eating ALL or almost all my calories allotted by MFP, including my workout cals.