Sushi!

Options
So I'm considering going out with a friend today for lunch at a local Sushi place.

I was looking through the lists of Sushi through my food blog, and there's just so many different kinds. I'm not sure what the heck I would add to my list!

I'm figuring if I just stay away from the fried junk (spring rolls, breaded chicken, etc) I shouldn't be doing too bad, and I could probably have quite a bit of the sushi, right? I know it's white rice... but I don't want to think this would be too bad!

Thoughts?

Replies

• ballgood
    ballgood Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sushi, is good.
    Like you said, stay clear of the fried stuff and you can indeed eat plenty to fill you up.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    some sushi places will wrap with brown rice if you ask. Stick to clean , unfried rolls and I would think you should be ok. YUMMY NOM NOM I love sushi
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You should be good with any of the non-fried rolls or nigiri, but watch out for the spicy mayo they put on some rolls. Just look up some of your favorites or ones that sound good on the MFP database to give you an idea of how they will work in your budget. The white rice will add up, so you probably can't go too crazy...unless you exercise a bunch to give yourself more calories! :)
  • Holly12178
    Options
    You can also ask them to use as little rice as possible. Spicy crunchy tuna roll is awesome!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    steer clear of tempura (fried) and spicy rolls that add the mayo, cream cheese, etc.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    stay away from the tempura (as said before)....

drink plenty of water as the sodium intake can be high
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    sometimes you can ask for your sushi to be prepared with brown rice for a lower calorie count.
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    if you don't mind eating fish straight, eat sashimi, you won't have all the calories because of the rice..
    but if you don't eat rolls like cucumber rolls or california or something with veggies and no tempura.
    Also watch the Soya, its like half the daily intake of sodium for like a table spoon lol
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sashimi! and miso.
    I'm hungry now.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i usually get spicy tuna, spicy salmon, or spicy yellowtail. sooooo yummy! i LOVE sushi. you can also get a miso soup...i think it's only 60 calories or something for a cup. (its tofu and seaweed)
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sushi is difficult. So far, I've just called it all rice and logged how many cups of "rice" I ate. But I don't know if this is accurate or not. One of these days, I am going to compare the calories in other non-rice sushi ingredients to the rice. If it's about the same, my estimate would be good (although it ignores all the nutrients). Has anyone else done this? The calories in the veggies in sushi will be negligible. I think it's a matter of comparing the fish and seaweed calories to rice calories. Plus the rice has that rice vinegar stuff which may have calories, too.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My friend gets hers with rice paper/soy paper instead of rice... I could never LOL
    They always look at her funny when she orders it that way.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    have some seaweed slad too, that stuff blows my mind.

I don`t like the cones, they have way too much rice.

I guess the biggest thing to watch for is to not over eat.
  • e3slisa
    Options
    Sushi is fantastic, my freind and I always share a California roll and a Tuna Roll, (8pcs) each and it equates to approx 370 cals :smile:
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    To be perfectly honest sushi (even just the clean stuff) has a suprisingly high amount of calories. However, other than the white rice it usually high calorie "good things" like salmon and avocado etc. which have good cals and fats and protein. so don't go crazy ( aim for two rolls) but just enjoy yourself. it's not like eating greasy pizza and doritos.

message me if you have any other questions. i love sushi too.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    i usually get spicy tuna, spicy salmon, or spicy yellowtail. sooooo yummy! i LOVE sushi. you can also get a miso soup...i think it's only 60 calories or something for a cup. (its tofu and seaweed)

just watch out for the high sodium levels in that miso!
    ugh. so good though!!
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sushi is definitely one of the better choices you can make when you out for a night on the town. Overall not super calorie dense either. If you need to avoid something look for sauces that contain mayo or excess cream cheese, fried stuff, etc. That said, almost any sushi roll is going to be lower than other "going out" choices.

Pace yourself so you don't overeat and you'll be good :smile:
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I stick wtih the following:

Salmon Rolls
    Tuna Rolls
    Yellow Tail Sushi
    Salmon Sushi
    Tuna Sushi

Charge myself 100 calories for a roll and 50 calories per piece of sushi. Very loose and likely not crazy accurate, but that's how I roll :)

Charmagne
  • jjjuuunnniiieee
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies everyone!

I was good, and I did treat myself to a couple of cheese wantons, but other than that I didn't go insane. :D