Projected rise in cost of food...how will u change?

Options
So for those eating ultra healthy fresh (haven't been due to weather and $$ already up here) how will things change with the expected rise in the cost of food? Supposedly with the gas shooting up ($4/gal pretty soon, then higher) anything that has to be trucked in/driven in will rise immensely.

Especially for those in the frozen tundra, where we have a "farmers market" for all of about 5 wks, how will you be able to balance fresh food with the cost? Will you use the boxed sides and portion control versus making nice big salads and stuff? Or will you cut in other areas?

Just getting opinions :smile:

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I would say to definately not put your heath last, even tho it is going to be more expensive, and to definately portion control, no binging allowed. haha

maybe buy off brands. look for sales, clip coupons
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I'll probably shop for less more often. I notice that I often waste more than I'd like because it's just my 3 year old son and I. I think I'll make trips to the grocery store a few times a week and get a few items here and there. I don't mind paying more but hopefully we can use it all before it goes bad and then we aren't wasting as much money.
  • misschaplin
    Options
    In UK it is getting tough already, and now apparently due to the harsh weather we have had this winter the fresh produce has not thrived and will all be going up even more,
    I am going to try and change alot of my fresh fruit and veg for frozen, for things like making vegetable soup I cant really see it will make a whole lot of difference. Am also going to try using local produce from farmers markets, local butchers ect.

I am even considering getting an allotment, as there is one almost directly opposite where I live, and they charge only £7 a year for a plot! Healthy eating and all that digging will be fab for burning calories :)
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Health should definitely be first! I know that I have a large yard and thankfully have a boyfriend who LOVES to garden, we plan on expanding our garden and to freeze the food we have plenty of for the dreadful winter months. Portion control is important as well, a lot of people seem to say veggies are a "free" food when counting calories...but price wise no, so limiting would be a great idea as well. If you do not have a large yard, I know plenty of people who use planters for tomato, peppers ect.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I don't think my buying habits will change (for food stuff). :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Looking at the inflation for other goods (at the wholesale level) I have thought about this a little bit. It's hitting other parts of the world worse than it's hitting the US. But it's coming. Retailers will not continue to hold back a 20% margin increase.

We'll probably keep buying the same stuff....but other things might have to go away...the satalite subscription is first on the chopping block.
  • vintagedream
    Options
    I am even considering getting an allotment, as there is one almost directly opposite where I live, and they charge only £7 a year for a plot! Healthy eating and all that digging will be fab for burning calories :)

i wish more and more people would get into growing their own food. i know its not easy for everyone but starting a small community would be so beneficial in so many ways. Regardless, look into a dehydrator as well, you can dehydrate your veggies and rehydrate them at a later time when you need to use them.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just put in my deposit for a local farm's CSA share, so I know my fruits and vegetables will be locally grown so prices won't affect them too much. I am in the northeast so I won't start getting fruit/vegetable boxes until June. If the price really spikes on veggies, I will probably lean more heavily on the cheaper vegetables that I still love, like cabbage.

I bake my own bread and have a feeling flour prices are going to go way up. I already buy my flour in 10 lb bags. I may have to stock up!