Teacher Support Group - pt. 2 (?)

Options
Hello everyone!

I did some forum searching and it seems as though the teacher support group fell off the wagon last December. I'm here to bring it back, hope no one minds.

My name's Jake. I teach first grade here in NC; I've been working with the little ones for 7 years now and love (nearly) every minute of it!

I'm down almost 10 pounds in 5 weeks and am really enjoying the success I'm having!

My school recently stopped offering chef salads to the teachers at lunch though (grrr) so I've started bringing them from home.

Aside from that, we all know we have barely any time to after splitting up time with family, work, and other obligations, but I'm thrilled that I find time to squeeze in exercise most days!

Pipe, up! Let me hear from you! I know you're out there!

Replies

• btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I am currently in the second semester of the Elementary Education program at my school. When I am done, I'll be certified to teach PreK-6th grade. I am loving it! I have 4th and 5th graders at my practicum site this semester and they are hilarious.
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a Teaching Assistant at a school on the South Coast of the UK working with the Reception (4/5 year olds) class.

I know how hard teachers work so think you deserve extra support.

Good Luck with fitting in your exercise.

Luv Kat
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I teach gr. 5/6 in a small town called Wallaceburg, in Ontario, Canada! I have a WONDERFUL (yet extremely challenging!) class with 19 boys, and 6 girls! It's a lot of fun, but MAN does it require a lot of energy!

I LOVE my job, and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I'm in my fourth year of teaching, and I still manage to find time to exercise, but it's tough some days!

Thanks for starting up this group!
  • Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    I teach high school computers and I am the adviser for the yearbook in a small town in Texas. This is my first year teaching and I love it. Glad to see other teachers putting the right example out there for their students. I'm always looking for support and motivation from anywhere.
  • drsrv
    drsrv Posts: 2
    Options
    Our school instituted a Wellness Program and as part of that they hired a trainer to hold classes in the gym twice a week immediately after school. We had to pay a fee to attend for the semester. It lasted all semester. It was really fun exercising with our colleagues. It made it a lot easier doing it here at work too. Also, on days when she wasn't here, they let us set up Zumba DVDs and do Zumba together in the gym after school. Don't know if that would work for anyone else's situation or not.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I teach Secondary School/High School Information Communication Technology - Computers! in the Midlands UK.

We've been back 1 day after a week off and already I feel done in.
    No exercise time for me today but tomorrow should see me back on track!
    Amanda
  • xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm an occasional teacher in Ontario and can teach grades Kindergarten to Grade 8 + Special Education and ESL.

My biggest struggle (besides the holiday treats and staff room treats) is our school board has a "balanced school day". This means we get two 40 minute lunches and I have a hard time not eating at both. They're at awkward times (10:30 and 1:00). I find 10:30 too early for lunch and 1:00 too late.
  • gypsybeke
    Options
    What's in a name? Will being skinny smell as sweet?
    My name's Medina and I teach Theatre Arts! So I should be an example for my students for how they should look if they want to get into the business. However, with a schedule like mine, I always made the excuse that I didn't have time to exercise. In the past couple of weeks I have learned that if you want the time, you can make the time. So, already 11 pounds lighter, I am a believer in a teacher's ability to juggle all aspects of their life. It can be done!
    Does anyone have any ideas about how to implement an actual healthy menu at their schools?
  • Swilson87
    Options
    Wow, it's kind of exciting finding other education professionals here. I'm a 5th grade teacher, and I am enjoying life I must say. I've dedicated myself, and so has my wife, to becoming, and living a healthier life. Tennessee is not the easiest place to live and love health, because it prides itself on the blues, beer, and BBQ. Healthy choices are kind of like uncorns around here. So enough of that, glad you all are here and healthy, becaue the kids need us.......
  • theTupper
    Options
    What's in a name? Will being skinny smell as sweet?
    My name's Medina and I teach Theatre Arts! So I should be an example for my students for how they should look if they want to get into the business. However, with a schedule like mine, I always made the excuse that I didn't have time to exercise. In the past couple of weeks I have learned that if you want the time, you can make the time. So, already 11 pounds lighter, I am a believer in a teacher's ability to juggle all aspects of their life. It can be done!
    Does anyone have any ideas about how to implement an actual healthy menu at their schools?

Healthy school lunches?

**cough cough**lol**cough cough**

Don't eat them. It's all processed anyway. I use to eat them because I'm terrible at remembering to bring lunch with me to school. Since I've started here though, if they don't have a salad at the cafe, I'll just skip lunch altogether.