Flat Foot PAIN!!!!!

Options
I have incredibly flat feet. INCREDIBLY flat feet. I have spent a lot of money on fancy shoes for walking for flat feet, and put some money is some support for flat feet. However, none of that seems to help!! It hurts so much to walk.

It kind of feels like I'm trying to tear the muscles in my foot in half, and the pain that involves can be pretty hefty.

I tried to see a doctor, to see if anything could be done, but I was just told "Yeah, we'll talk about that next time you come in. Let's focus only on this problem right now". Needless to say, I think I need a new doctor. (Finding a good dr can be so hard!)

Is there ANYTHING I can do to make it where it DOESN'T hurt to walk for longer than ten minutes?

Replies

• shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your feet are "flat"? I always thought my feet were flat because if you look at them, they look flat...but I really have high arches. Have you looked at one of your foot prints? Once I figured that out I bought asics gel shoes and I LOVE them. No more foot pain!!
  • Joaninha777
    Options
    I have the same problem, and the treadmill for me means excruciating pain. I do the elliptical which tends to work well. I can't find sneakers that are comfortable enough. I have really old ones that i bought which are falling apart but they are the only ones I can wear. I have found that the more "support" i get the more pain i'm in.

Good luck and yes it seems you need to find a better doctor..which reminds me, so do I!
  • Rikki_Sixx
    Rikki_Sixx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding patronising, do you have insoles or inserts for your shoes to support them? I got some last year and they made my shoes so much more comfortable :)
  • classicshell
    Options
    My feet are definitely flat. My footprint is like a giant rectangle. There is no arch. :(
  • mskees22
    Options
    Are you seeing a podiatrist, or just your family dr? Definitely need to see a podiatrist and they should be able to get you in the right direction.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have this, too classicshell. You have to get your feet used to the movement. What I have is an expanding arch. So the muscles there will stretch when there is any resistance. It kills. I can't do calf raises because of it and there are alot of times that running on a treadmill will hurt my feet before I even work up a sweat. On top of that, I can't do jumping jacks or anything where I want to land on my toes.

I would advise using an elliptical machine. Your feet stay planted, so you shouldnt encounter the same problems.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    I have the same problem, and the treadmill for me means excruciating pain. I do the elliptical which tends to work well. I can't find sneakers that are comfortable enough. I have really old ones that i bought which are falling apart but they are the only ones I can wear. I have found that the more "support" i get the more pain i'm in.

Good luck and yes it seems you need to find a better doctor..which reminds me, so do I!

I bought some shoe inserts. They have removable arches. They worked well. You go through some pain for the first couple of days, but as you get used to them, you place the higher arch in, get used to it, place the highest arch in. It alleviated back pain and sciatic problems.
  • classicshell
    Options
    Rikki - Yes, I have been using insoles (trying so many things! Even the new dr scholls have done almost nothing to soften the blow). And no worries! You don't sound patronizing at all. :)

Mskees - I was just seeing a family dr. I have to get referred...luckily though, I'm getting married in two weeks and will be switching insurances. Then I'll look up a podiatrist and see if there's anything I can do.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    My feet are definitely flat. My footprint is like a giant rectangle. There is no arch. :(

Finally, and Ill stop posting, this is what we in the industry professionally refer to as the "Flinstone Foot.' I have it too.
  • classicshell
    Options
    There are no gyms close by in my tiny city, and my apartment complex doesn't have a gym. There is a gym on the school campus (I live in a college town), but I'm not sure if they allow non-students to use it. It would be something I'll look into then. Hopefully I'll be in college there in August, so maybe that will work out well.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have low arches but not flat feet. I don't know what all you've done in terms of orthotics but I did get a set that make my feet feel better. The New Balance store near me has a foot scanner that you stand on and it shows where all the pressure is in your feet. It's supposed to be on the heels and mine were way up on the ball of the feet. The guy got me a set of orthotics to try and had me stand on those on the machine to see how they changed my pressure. We found a set that make my feet feel so good! We did this for my self (low arches) and my husband (very high arches) and we were both happy.

If you are not wanting to hassle with finding your own orthotic solution I would insist on getting a referral to a good podiatrist. They are going to do a lot better for you than a general practitioner will and they can determine whether a good orthotic will benefit you (hopefully!) or if surgery is your best bet. From what I've read, surgery is a last ditch effort and does not always fix the problem so try your best to get a good orthotic. Whether it's the doctor or a shoe store, make sure they scan or cast your feet to get you the proper fit. Everyone has different feet with different pressure zones and that will determine what orthotic will most benefit you.

Since finding the correct orthotic for my I have no more plantar fasciitis pain or shin pain. :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot about this and a lot of it is not fixed by fancy shoes and inserts but actually strengthening your feet. Check out this article. There is a lot associated with barefoot running and other things you can do to help.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/

Good Luck.
  • allie_00
    Options
    I'm a runner with flat feet and I've had loads of trouble these past few years.

I have orthotics that were specially made for my feet and I'm slowly getting used to them (I've had them for 3 weeks now) While they're a little pricey if you don't have insurance, they're definitely worth it. My physiotherapist said I pretty much had zero weight on my toes with the majority of it on my heel/mid foot. Personally, I recommend never walking barefoot around the house and always wearing comfortable, supportive shoes. And flats/flip flops are the absolute worst.

Question: does the bottom of your foot hurt when you step out of bed in the morning? If so you may have this painful condition I still contend with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis
  • Jameade
    Jameade Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, especially as a dancer. It is very important that you stretch your feet thoroughly. I can really explain all the things I do but one of the things is I do my squats on my tippy toes.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/beauty-hygiene/how-to-care-for-your-feet2.htm
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    it's possible you have plantar faciitis - i thought i had flat feet too - they were just fat - my pain goes from the bottom of my heel all the way to the balls of my feet - excruciating to walk on - it's the tendon that runs along the bottom of your foot and it's hardening up from either too much use, too much weight, or not enough use. i had to end up getting steroid shots in my heels to relieve the pain but the one thing that i've found makes it better is losing weight - i lost about 20 lbs last time my feet were hurting & the pain diminished greatly. I still have some pain after the treadmill or a lot of walking around where i live but have recently bought the Dr. Scholls custom orthotics (about $50 at walmart) and they are helping a LOT. You go in walmart, take your shoes off, and stand on the machine - it tells you where your "heavy" points are on your feet & recommends one of the 10-12 different orthotics they have there based on how you stand and where your weight is distributed.
  • starv123
    Options
    It sounds like we have the same problem. Very painful. Look up "Neuromas". You can find an insert that looks similar to an arch support, but it is placed a little more toward your toes than an arch support. The way it was explained to me is that it spreads your toes out a bit to relieve pressure on the neuroma which is a swollen and pinched nerve between your toes.
    It works!
  • classicshell
    Options

Question: does the bottom of your foot hurt when you step out of bed in the morning? If so you may have this painful condition I still contend with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

I never really noticed my feet hurting in the morning. More of just a discomfort, but it goes away throughout the day. Unless I start walking or something - then pain comes with a vengence, and it's mostly in the center of my foot. Feels like I'm trying to tear it apart, and slowly (ouch!).
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    BUMP
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I know you said you had spent a lot of money on shoes, but I just wonder. Have you been to a shoe store dedicated to runners? They can help walkers too. You can find a shoe store with workers trained to evaluate your gait, they will watch you walk or run and recommend shoes and/or orthotics. I got a pair of shoes to run in and a set of orthotics to walk in recently. My knee has been 85% better and my plantar faciitis has been about 65% better. I spent about $100 total and it was well worth it.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes? They have you walk or run on a treadmill for like 15 seconds and then can tell what shoes will work for you.
    I have arches...but my feet for about the past three months were hurting...the last three weeks PAINFUL to walk on. Specifically my heels. Plantar Fasciitis. And then I went to a running store, did a test, walked out with a pair of Mizuno shoes and after wearing them for about an hour and a half at the gym my feet stopped hurting. It took a few days for my feet to get over being sore, but the pain was literally gone. Its been three weeks now and I am still amazed that my feet don't throb anymore.