Back Pain Sufferers

Options
Been suffering with two bulging discs for awhile that have forced me to give up running. :sad: And because of that, I've gained a lot of weight this past year. :embarassed:

What kind of exercises have you found that are helpful? :smile:

Replies

• Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bulging discs?! That doesn't sound good... I assume you've been seeing a doctor?
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The elliptical would be good.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Swimming! Laps in the pool are a great, low stress way to exercise and burn calories!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to take some time off while you are recovering. No heavy lifting or strenuous exercise. Do a lot of stretching and go for walks if you can. I had to take off everyday last week due to my back but it is better now. I'd rather take 1 week off to recover than have to get surgery and be out for 12 weeks or longer.
  • babydutch03
    Options
    About 2 years back, I also suffered from two lower back herniated discs which forced me to give up running. No more running, no more 1/2 marathons, no more marathons....EVER. That's a big deal to me. I also gained a lot of weight.. Since then, I started running more, and actually overdid it again, and that has really made it clear to me that I should not run anymore! The first time around I actually waited about 6 months, and it was still not long enough.

I ended up making changes to my diet (a carb and protein at all meals) and lots of veggies. Of course, we still eat pizza once in a while.

I joined a gym that has fitness classes. I enjoy cycling because it burns calories. I enjoy circuit training and light weightlifting. I also bought Jillian Michael's fitness DVDs like No More Trouble Zones and Blast your Metabolism, and her 30 day shred. All of those I do pretty well with. i have to modify some of the core exercises (like leg lifts) because it puts too much pressure on my back.

All is well so far.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with my back. After some intense PT and learning great stretches for home, I'm able to get the pain down to a minimum. Strengthening your core is EXTREMELY important so that you're not putting more pressure on the already aggravated disk. So get on an ab coaster and crunch bench! I find doing a nice long walk or short bursts on the elliptical or arc trainer also help keep me from getting sore and aggravating my back issues.
  • barbmpac
    barbmpac Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I herniated a disc (L5-S1) a year ago and had a microdiscectomy 11 months ago. I gained about forty pounds after surgery because I was afraid to do anything and reinjure my back. Damn, that hurt. What I found was my pain was due to inactivity and stiffness. I went to the physical therapist who recommend core strengthening. I returned to work the fifteenth day after surgery. Biking, walking in water, walking, core exercises (which can be as simple as sucking in your belly and holding it and a few others) are low impact and though they may hurt shouldn't worsen your condition. A little over a month ago I joined Curves and can do the entire workout without pain. And though I still have stiffness, some left leg weakness and numbness, I have no real back pain. Good luck. I was told by my neurosurgeon, no repetitive bending or running, you're right, ever. Life is not over. There are other acceptable activities. Maybe you'll be the next great bike racer.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I too had a microdiscectomy on L4/L5 about 5 years ago when I was 24. The neurosurgeon told me flat out that if I didn't change my lifestyle that I would need a fusion within 10 years. It's been 5 and for the most part my back feels 100%. I jog for 20-25 minutes everyday, go for long walks / hikes, and basically do whatever I want. However there are times when I'm in pain and that's when I really take it easy. It usually happens because I did something stupid like change the 5 gallon water jug in the water cooler at work. But there are still plenty of things to do for exercise, you just have to do them in moderation. I don't ever want to have surgery again (wishful thinking) so when I start to feel the pain come on then all exercise comes to a stop and I eat less.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I recommend what your doctor says. Any spinal issue is way to dangerous to treat with advice from internet doctors.
    Good luck, I hope you beat this.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! :flowerforyou:

The dr. didn't think I needed surgery (yet) but I would like the pain to diminish. :tongue:
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Swimming! But make sure you stretch! I ended up in physical therapy for muscle spasms becaue I wasn't stretching and my swimming was making it worse. But if you use decent form while swimming, it is probably the single best exercise (it is anyways) for back pain.