Tips for not eating when bored

Options
This is my main problem. I'm used to eating when watching TV or just whenever I'm bored. Sometimes it's without even realizing it. Any helpful suggestions?

Replies

• xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I've been trying to go do some form of exercise when I get like that. Or I will have healthy snacks - fruit, veggies, sugar-free jello, fat-free pudding or sometimes a low calorie (45cal) hot chocolate will fill me up. I like the hot chocolate because it takes me a while to drink and then my show is over.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thank GOD for Carnation LIGHT Hot Chocolate! I completely agree! It's AMAZING, and it totally curbs chocolate cravings! I go through a can of that every couple of weeks!!!
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    Thank GOD for Carnation LIGHT Hot Chocolate! I completely agree! It's AMAZING, and it totally curbs chocolate cravings! I go through a can of that every couple of weeks!!!

I've never tried that, but I will now!! Thanks!
  • xoang175ox
    Options
    This is kind of a weird one lol but I have worn a rubberband on my wrist and snapped myself when I want to snack while Im bored, and then I go and fill my water cup and drink that instead! I think it works!
  • nashkim
    Options
    This is really hard for me especially in these winter months. I am a knitter and keeping my hands busy prevents me from being able to snack! other than that, I'll cut up celery and dip in a little bit of hummus, it's better than eating junk and straight carbs which are my downfall!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I tend to get the "wanders" before the snacking when bored, so now i take myself for a walk or do some jumping jacks. If i still need to have something, I chug a glass of cold water and that usually helps me stay in check. For my weakest moments i keep healthy snacks such as veggies, pita chips and hummus or dole no sugar added madarin oranges so i can snack on mini bites while trying to stay healthy
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a weird one lol but I have worn a rubberband on my wrist and snapped myself when I want to snack while Im bored, and then I go and fill my water cup and drink that instead! I think it works!

I like this idea......I saw someone on TV doing this for smoking & they said they stopped within a few weeks.
  • Kelnurse
    Kelnurse Posts: 145
    Options
    I think thats what happened to me last night...I sat down to watch tv, got back up, went in my kitchen and made a big bowl of nachos- YIKES! Winter months are extremely hard for me to stay focused on weight loss. All I wanna do is stay warm, cuddle under blankets, and eat comforting foods...BAD combo. Haha
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I used do this too, although just being on MFP and counting my calories has really helped me to stop. Before I'd just grab some crisps or something in the evening without really thinking about it out of boredom but now I'm counting calories I find it much easier to tell myself not to, since I know it'll cause me to go over. And if I do have some calories left spare and I want to snack I'll make sure I either eat a small enough amount to not go over calories or I'll get something healthy. Next time you go to the supermarket buy a load of healthy food that you've never tried before like fruit smoothies or dried fruit or nuts or something, and then you'll be more likely to enjoy snacking on something healthy because you'll be looking forward to trying something new.
    It works for me anyway. (:
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    I like snacking on sugar snap peas because they give the satisfying crunch like chips and are sweet to help any sweet tooth cravings. Also I recently learned how to crochet so I can keep my hands busy with yarn instead of food.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Common sense would suggest that keeping healthy snacks like raw vegetables or small servings of nuts on hand would be beneficial, if you insist on eating because you're bored. Another suggestion would be to go for a walk or do some other such physical activity which might prevent you from becoming bored in the first place.
  • carolynmaude
    Options
    I paint my nails alot! Try reaching into a bag of sweets with wet nail varnish :o)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Learn to knit or crochet. You can produce lots of fun stuff while watching TV or while you're riding in a car, or waiting in line at the doctor's office....wherever you want! It keeps your hands busy, your mind relaxes and concentrates on what you're working on, and it's a great cure for boredom.