Warrior Dash

jbear1823
jbear1823 Posts: 5
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I signed up to do the Warrior Dash-Michigan in July. I have never done a race before. Just wondering what is the best way to train for this event and if anyone has any advice! Am I in over my head here?? :)

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    My goal is to do the one outside of Portland in September. I think the C25K is a good place to start. It is like a 3k in length if I remember right..and maybe do some running on a gravel track or in a field or something to get your legs used to that kind of terrain?

There are a lot of people on this site who've done it. Hopefully they will have more insight than I can give!
  • NCisME
    NCisME Posts: 41 Member
    I signed up for California! (Lake Elsinore on April 2nd).

Can't wait!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Also signed up in Michigan!!! I haven't yet decided the best way to train. Right now I am doing Turbofire but have another month left on that to finish. Might start running and some weight training. Since it is mostly running I am thinking the cardio is the best thing to do.

However, a friend of mine signed up too and he wants to creat an obsticle course! LOL. I just think he wants to start a fire.

Did you check their website? I haven't but they might have suggestions.

Good Luck!!! Maybe we will run into each other!!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    yes...Warrior Dash website says to go out your front door and run as far as you can...come back and repeat :)
    I too have signed up for the one in Amesbury MA on 6/25. Super excited, but I will be running hills to practice for the big hill I have to run up (more like a steep mountain). Other than that...I'm not sure what to do.
  • Would love to run into people that are on here! I heard it is a blast!
    I found another thread from here that is kind of helpful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/161586-warrior-dash-best-way-to-train-have-you-done-it
  • NCisME
    NCisME Posts: 41 Member
    Sorry I forgot to mention how I'm training.

I'm NOT a runner, so I decided to build up my stamina by running in intervals.
    I could barely run a mile.
    I would walk for 5 mins on the treadmil then run for 5 minutes. I would do this for as long as I could. For about 40 mins.
    I would up the number of minutes I ran after a week.
    I was gradually able to up it to where I run for about 28 minutes and walk for 6 minutes. That's my best time for right now. 3 miles in 34 mins.

I will start running my 3 miles outdoors next week.

I also started anarobic training. Back, legs, arms, stomach, etc. I'm doing these to be ready for the obstacle courses.

Hope this helps
  • What are you doing as far as anarobic training?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm doing one June 11 in Pennsylvania. I did Couch to 5k (It works! I've never been a runner before!) on the treadmill, and I'll do a couple normal 5k before then.

I'm also doing EA Active Sports 2 on the PS3, using 5# weights instead of the resistance band. Maybe I'll bump it up to 8# or 10# eventually. Once the weather breaks, I'll be doing trail running.

And as a backup plan, my brother and sister-in-law who are both EMTs are supposed to be running with me. :laugh:
  • Anyone have good ideas for team names???? My friend came up with the War-dashians. Trying to think of creative others :)
  • I'm not doing Warrior Dash but I am doing my first 5k. I have two training runs in so far. My advice? Run outdoors. The gym is no substitute for running outside. It's soooo different. The gym can't accurately account for terrain. I can knock out a 5k in the gym in 35 minutes or so. Outdoors? Not even close. It's more like 53 minutes.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Are you doing the sat or sun race? I see that the sat is full already is the only reason that i asked. I am actually looking to do a rce a month this year, and i still need one for july.
  • I am doing the Saturday at 5pm wave!
  • I am doing the Warrior Dash in Minnesota in July. I've been training by running on the tread mill at an incline of 10 or more. I figured it would be easier if I was used to running up hill all the time. I also have been lifting weights and plan on practicing on monkey bars at the local playground to help build upper body strength for the wall climb when the snow goes away.
  • sassyshelley
    sassyshelley Posts: 90 Member
    I would love to do the Warrior Dash in Whistler. I am not sure I am fit enough now but have until August to train. The whole event looks awesome!
This discussion has been closed.