exceeding recommended protein count

Options
Hi! I am fairly new to mfp and am still figuring this all out. I've never counted calories before and I noticed on the breakdowns with carbs, fats and proteins that almost daily I am going over on protein. I am not using many of my carbs and rarely exceed fats. I am also staying well under my calorie limit for the day.

Is exceeding the proteins really a problem? I find that carbs of any kind make me sleepy if eaten at the wrong time of the day, so I just have always naturally eaten more protein. Just wondering what others thought about that.

thanks!

Replies

• thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    going over your protein is not a problem. the recommended amount is too low in my opinion
  • Oppie81
    Options
    Not a bad thing at all! You can actually change your protein goal in your settings to something that works better for you.
  • Tiffanyfitin2011
    Options
    i feel the same way, they have protein set way to low. ur fine with going over it, i do everyday
  • MrsHilgert
    MrsHilgert Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks, I figured as much, but wanted to make sure!
  • rastrillo
    rastrillo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's no biggie. Matter of fact you can adjust the breakdown categories to suit the way you eat. Some people set it up for the grams of protein per pound they want to weigh. I personally set mine to divide my calorie total of 100% like this=40% protein 40% carb 20%fat (healthy kind). I'm usually way low on carbs too, and that's complex carbs mostly.
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    It really isn't a problem, in fact, it could be good for you. I don't really pay attention to my protein numbers because I have a protein metabolic type and was advised to eat 70% protein/fats and 30% carbs.

I would worry more about how you feel at the end of each day. If you exceeded your protein goal and feel fatigued/irritable/craving sugary foods/etc. I would hold more strongly to MFP's recommendation. If you feel fine/great/have lots of energy, keep doing what you're doing.
  • camjes05
    Options
    I also think it's too low. I go over the suggested amount for me every day.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I believe that way too much protein can harm your kidneys and maybe your liver. I.E my FIL has chronice kidney desise and has to lower his protein. But I am always over on my protein as well. if you are keeping your saturated fats down and drinking your water you should be fine. Definatly constult a dr. or do some further research f you are concerned.
  • masha23
    Options
    you also should consider your activity level - the default settings on here are too low if you are an active person - for instance, if you lift weights or do any strength training, you need more protein than the average bear so that your muscles can repair the tears they sustain during workouts. and if you dont get enough protein, your muscles can't repair and your workout is not as effective. as long as you are also getting some carbs (your brain needs carbs to function well) and good fats, you should be ok even if your protein intake is over the mfp default norm. you can research your ideal amounts and ratios, to factor in your age, weight, activity level and goals, etc, and then edit your settings on mfp to better suit your needs.
  • JahavFuel
    JahavFuel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I go over on the protein every day and I'm considering adding a protein supplement to my diet.
  • crossarmant
    crossarmant Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's not a terrible issue to go over from time to time, but excessive protein consumption over time can lead to calcium depletion from the bones, over stressing the kidneys, osteoporosis, increased risk of diabetes, and kidney stones. Just try to eat a balanced diet with fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes, and a variety of other whole foods.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

http://www.acefitness.org/fitnessqanda/fitnessqanda_display.aspx?itemid=272

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/4/886.full
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Not a problem unless you have kidney disease or liver failure. Then you have problems eliminating the nitrogen waste from the protein. If you don't have the problems, the body simple coverts the protein as it needs it into energy. High protein diets have been shown in several studies to improve weight loss and you are way better off with too much protein than not enough!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    thank you to the last 2 commentators. In general being over you protein a little isn't bad but you do need to watch your kidney functions. I want people to remember that way too much of anything is bad for you. My father in law is about to begin dialysis and we are very concerned about protein in our household these days.