Target Heart Rate Question

Options
I just wanted to get your opinions since I know that a lot of people here work out and are quite knowledgeable on topics of this nature.

Here is my situation. I am a 26 year old ex college athlete who is REALLY out of shape, quite overweight, and has pretty bad asthma. I also have a lingering ankle injury which limits me. Also, I don't know what the hell to do at a gym which I have just joined. I just want my softball field back.

I was recently told by a trainer at my gym that I should spend more time at a lower intensity while doing cardio rather than go crazy and hurt my ankle and have an asthma attack. He told me that this will also be better for me because I would be in a fat burning zone instead of a higher cardio zone which is more of what my goals are geared toward anyway. He recommended the elliptical to me as it is less stress than a treadmill to my ankle.

He told me my target heart rate should be between 150 and 160 while I work out on the elliptical. Whenever I work out, I can't get it lower than 170-180 which is what he told me is this intense cardio thing that I shouldn't be doing right now. I feel like I'm barely doing ANYTHING, though. Am I even doing anything there? Am I just being hard on myself because I am an athlete?

I am also doing strength training. I am using about 8 different weight machines lifting between 30-50 pounds. Three sets of 8-15 reps. I feel more satisfied with my weight training but I want to make sure that my cardio is not going to fall behind. I am also taking one spin class per week as well as one vinyasa yoga class per week.

I just want your opinions on my heart rate and if I'm really doing anything in my 30 minutes of the elliptical. I feel like my heart is beating faster but I feel like I am being lazy. I'm sweating and I'm tired after I am done but I guess I just don't know what I am supposed to be feeling? I am just frustrated, I guess, because I am an athlete whose body just can't do these things anymore and I just feel like I am just floating on the elliptical looking like a moron doing nothing.

I am just rambling but can someone just give me some tips about the gym or something so I can feel like I am accomplishing more during cardio, I guess?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a heart rate monitor?
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My brother is a trainer and has told me the same thing before...to work at a lower intensity to burn fat. But I read something recently that states that at your high intensity you are burning 40% fat (170+), at a lower intensity (150-160) you are burning 50% fat.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a heart rate monitor?

No, but my gym has really good machines that detect your heart rate.
  • caitlinclock
    Options
    My brother is a trainer and has told me the same thing before...to work at a lower intensity to burn fat. But I read something recently that states that at your high intensity you are burning 40% fat (170+), at a lower intensity (150-160) you are burning 50% fat.

Well that makes me feel better because one of my problems is that I can't seem to get my heart rate down. It stays over 170 no matter how much I try to slow down at the moment, maybe because I am just so out of shape plus my asthma that my body is working twice as hard right now when I try to do any cardio. At least I can feel more confident that I am still burning a substantial amount of fat at this level too. Thanks for that info.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Those target heart rates vary by person. I believe the general rule of thumb is (and I am not a medical professional by any stretch) is that you should know your own body. If your heart rate is up there and you can still carry a conversation with someone, you are probably OK. In other words, if you are not dizzy or nauseous (sp?) and have your wits about you, you are probably OK in that particular heart rate zone.

I am 40 and I am really in the ZONE between 165-175 BPM. If I get above 175, I start losing it, so I try to keep it around 170 with sprints at or just above 175. That is me...

Short answer: listen to your body and as long as you feel OK (winded, tired, sweaty but not "dying") then up the heart rate.

You have a pretty agressive routine...it sounds like you are doing OK and just need some validation.

I am doing P90X and it is the best thing I ever did (was on the elliptical before, but need toning up).

Good luck to you!
  • JGrinwis
    JGrinwis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Higher Intensity is designed to break up insulin if you've shown resistance. But, it's never to be done at more than 20 minutes when worked through intervals unless you are a performance athlete. You'll get a longer bang for your buck if you learn to do good long work outs but, on those days that you aren't able then take your elliptical and do 1 min intense and back off for 2. Eventually work up to 2 and 2 of each after a 3 minute warm up. it's shock therapy for your heart. Will help strengthen your lungs.

But, always endurance is the best key. You want to keep your heart rate up as long as you can to burn most effectively. A trainer is just that. Someone who can help you train for a lifestyle and you want to keep them close by your side. High intensity runs risk of you getting burned out, discouraged, or worse yet hurt so, then you end up quitting all together.

Keep up the good race! Work with your trainer and keep pushing your goals but, only after you've accomplished the one set before you. Good luck!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Heart rate seems to vary a lot by individual-- I take really high-intensity spin classes, and rarely get my heart rate about 170 and my normal heart rate range on the elliptical is 130-144ish.

How do your elliptical workouts compare to your spin class workouts? The so-called 'fat burning intensity' on the elliptical should feel easier than the most strenous parts of a spin class, which should include high-intensity intervals.

Also, if you take a look at the descriptions of Rate of Perceived Exertion, the descriptions there might be helpful in terms of how each is supposed to 'feel':

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/blperceivedexer.htm

I hope that helps, and don't be too hard on yourself-- if you've started working out regularly and are dedicated to getting back into shape, that's an important step. Remember that just by going, you're doing something good for yourself, and your workouts should always be a work in progress; as you get stronger, you can adjust to make sure that they stay challenging.
  • caitlinclock
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. That really helps.

@reepobob
    I think I just did want some assurance or validation. I know everyone is different but my trainer did a whole fitness evaluation and measured what my heart rate should be by taking a bunch of factors into account so I thought I was doing something wrong. I guess in the end it really is just listening to ourselves, though.

@JGrinwis
    I only had one complimentary meeting with my trainer. I wish I could utilize that valuable tool for a longer period of time but I just can't afford it, haha! That information is very helpful, thank you. I didn't realize the time vs. intensity and I will definitely utilize this tool to help myself strengthen my lungs and endurance.

@etarre
    That link really helps, thank you! I guess I am in the right range because that is how I feel most of the time between 4 and 8 depending on what I'm doing so I guess I am doing it right, huh? I do my spinning classes at my own pace right now - I am building up to be able to do them how I want to but yes, I do think the important part is I am doing something! That's definitely a start!! :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS felt the same way, that no matter what I did, my heart rate was skyrocketing! Consequently, I had been running consistently for over a year and still could hardly go past two miles. When I started training for my half marathon, I really focused on going slow and making sure that I could talk during most of the run (yes, I often did talk to myself to check that I was okay). Because of this, my endurance is getting much better. I'm slower, but I can run for longer. You just have to play around until you can figure out what works for you. Unfortunately, there's no one size fits all :-/
  • caitlinclock
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that! Yeah I guess I just need to keep at it and play around with it. I have to remember that the important thing is that I am doing something and trying my best and the rest will follow. :)