Help with HRM

Options
Hello! I have questions about heart rate monitors. I know that A LOT of people use them, but is one right for me? I've always had the perception that they are only really useful for top of the line athletes. Now I'm starting to think that's one of those fitness myths, many of which I've been wrong about before.

So here is what I want to know. If I am going to make SERIOUS strides in my weight-loss, healthy-living goals, so I NEED an HRM? If so, what is the best one for me? I really don't want to spend a ton of cash, but I guess I am willing to do it if it's going to help me get my health back to where it needs to be.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

Replies

• lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've had my polar heart rate monitor for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I got mine primarily when I was training for the military as mine calculates calories burned, VO2 max levels, as well as coaches me when my intensity drops below a certain level. I can download and upload data to my computer.

Mine was a little expensive as it cost almost $200 but I'm glad that I got it. If you are serious about exercising and it isn't just a fad for you and can afford to get a HRM, it's a really good investment, especially if you rely on the machines to display your heart rate. Many of them aren't accurate.

You don't need something incredibly fancy unless you need all those options.
  • jasay79
    jasay79 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think you should get the one I showed you earlier :) I love my Polar! And w/o it, I would have no idea how many calories I burn w/ each work out. There are guesses online, but everyone burns differently, depending on current weight, etc... So, I think it's essential..