Do you eat what you burn?

Options

Replies

• CaseyDiane
    Options
    If you look on your home page at the top it has your food calories and your exercise calories and leaves you with a balance to eat. Hope you are successful in your journey.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day is the absolute minimum. I would make sure you should be in the 1200 cal/day range and not the 1400-1500 per day range (I am in the second category.) I am working on a 1000 cal/day deficit to get some quick results after a plateau about 8 months in to my weight loss. I'm not sure what your height/weight/nutritional needs are, but there are some pretty useful sources on the web. Hope this helps. Oh, and to answer your question, I'm working out 6 days a week and am not eating back ANY of my calories. My trainer stressed not going over 1600 calories!
  • Rworthy
    Options
    I haven't heard about drinking chocolate milk, but I know my trainer recommended drinking 25-30 grams of protein (preferably whey protein) within 45 minutes of finishing a workout. This is my 3rd day doing it and it has helped tremendously with controlling my appetite and curbing the desire for junk food at night. I highly, highly recommend whey protein.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

ROFL!!! I LOVE IT!!! :laugh: :wink: :bigsmile: :love:
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    Well I find it easier to drink the protein than to have to eat more. This is my first day of trying to hit 1200 calories and not trying to be in the negative when it comes to my net calories. I need to reprogram what I've been doing. Although it worked up until now, I don't think its a way I could live my life.
  • Rworthy
    Options
    To reiterate...unless you're trying to gain weight DON'T eat back your exercise calories, but DO add a protein shake after a workout. Mine acts as my "fourth" meal - with all meals ranging from 300-400 calories each.
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I never eat my calories burned, I find when i do, I don't lose weight.
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    Well now I'm really confused! LOL I think I'll start off with trying to hit 1200 a day, and then exercising. I will drink my protein after my workout and see how that starts out.
  • Rworthy
    Options
    Well now I'm really confused! LOL I think I'll start off with trying to hit 1200 a day, and then exercising. I will drink my protein after my workout and see how that starts out.
    Do that. Keep in mind the protein shake counts as part of your 1200.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    To reiterate...unless you're trying to gain weight DON'T eat back your exercise calories, but DO add a protein shake after a workout. Mine acts as my "fourth" meal - with all meals ranging from 300-400 calories each.

MFP already incorporates a healthy deficit in your calorie goal. Eating back your exercise calories is to maintain that deficit. Unless your trainer is very familier with how MFP sets your goals, they won't know this. Look at your goals page.

MFPGoals-1.jpg
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options

I am not trying to be mean but can you point me to the facts where you derived this statement from?

Thanks

ZH
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

also, cat urine will make you fit and ripped, so drink cat urine!
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    No matter how bad I want to look good in my bikini, I will never drink cat urine. There isn't much I wouldn't do....but that's one thing I wont :)
  • misschaplin
    Options

also, cat urine will make you fit and ripped, so drink cat urine!

*wanders round lounge looking for cat* :huh:
  • ashers1819
    Options
    This is always a hotly debated topic. You need to figure out what your BMR is and then what you are likely to use calorie wise throughout your day through activity. Look into that first. Then you can figure out how many calories you should be eating. For the most part it is my understanding that MFP encourages you to eat 1200 a day. Even if you select 2 Ibs loss a week and you input that if it will require you to eat less than 1200 it won't recommend that you lose the full 2 Ibs a week through diet.

If you are honestly still concerned about losing 2 Ibs then you will need to fill the gap with excercise but I recommend looking into what your body needs and then sticking to the food diary at first. Once your body learns to recognise the symptoms of hunger and dehydration then you can start to play around with not eating your exercise calories back.

I think if you mess with that programme too much, your body is dealing with too many changes at one time and you will not learn what your body needs.

Weightloss is so difficult, it's hard to teach your brain to go against a learnt habit of making poor food choices!
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    Although I'm sure there are plenty of members "duking" it out over topics it's nice just to get a response sometimes. The girls I work with all starve themselves and of course look amazing. I can't do that, I don't want to do that. Oh, and did I mention I'm closing in on 30 fast? These girls are binge drinkers who eat taco bell for breakfast. No wonder that doesn't work for me. Fast Food Diet anyone? How about only eating 200 cookies a day? Why do I ever believe these rediculous things will work. In my head I know better but the seams of my pants beg for a quicker fix than good old fashioned diet and exercise. Nose to the grindstone I'm going to do it the right way. And when those girls hit 30 they'll have their own crisis to go through
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    You want a lifestyle that is sustainable. Starving is not an option in the long term and can (long term) trigger some responses in your body that are adverse to your continued healthy weight loss/maintence goals.
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    Amen!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat them up or mostly up. I try to eat back 75% or so of them just in case calorie burn estimates are off. It seems to work best that way even with one day of going over last week I lost 2 lbs doing this. :) Weeks when I ate them all I saw 1.6 lb losses. Not much difference but a tad.

I wouldn't have a problem eating 1200 calories at all but I do struggle sometimes when it wants me to eat 2000-2200 because of my work out.

I like to have a slice of bread with peanut butter right after my workout. You can add snacks in so you eat about every 3-4 hours at least. Healthy foods that have good nutrition(fiber, protein etc) are going to fill you up quicker.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options