Running question

Options
I use to be a runner and have been out of it for a long time. I am doing a 5k on April 10 and I have been training for it but I am feeling very discouraged. I find myself getting out of breath really fast and I don't know why?

What am I doing wrong? I need to be able to run the whole thing without stopping , please help!!!!!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Really focus on your breathing and try to take deep breaths, its something you gotta just build up, have you been doing anything like the C25k program?
  • terrijean04
    terrijean04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    pace your breathing with your steps....not to fast and just keep trucking....as long as your moving it's no ones business how fast you go..Hang in there I'm cheering for ya!!!!!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I run for 10 minutes, walk for one. Run for 10, walk for one. I repeat that over and over until I'm done my run. Try it.. that one minute of rest really helps make you do your best on the 10 min run part.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to slow down - that's what I had to do in order to go longer distances :flowerforyou:
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    Options
    A few years ago I got into running and did a 1/2 marathon and then some things happened in life. I quit running and gained weight. I started back up last year and was getting mad at myself as I was running because I was slower and it was difficult. I had to be reminded to be grateful that I was back out running again and that I was doing something good for myself. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Get some positive music to listen to. Slow down, it's ok if you aren't that fast. Try some run walking at first, if you don't have a watch that you can set interval times to get an MP3 player to run with and run a song and walk a song. If you keep at it you are going to get better. Just don't do what I did last year and make it an excuse to eat more. I'm using this website to lose weight, I"m training with a friend and I did a 7 mile run this past Saturday which the first half is all up hill. It was the best I've ever done running up that hill and that motivates me to keep going.
  • alliej
    alliej Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I got into running and did a 1/2 marathon and then some things happened in life. I quit running and gained weight. I started back up last year and was getting mad at myself as I was running because I was slower and it was difficult. I had to be reminded to be grateful that I was back out running again and that I was doing something good for myself. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Get some positive music to listen to. Slow down, it's ok if you aren't that fast. Try some run walking at first, if you don't have a watch that you can set interval times to get an MP3 player to run with and run a song and walk a song. If you keep at it you are going to get better. Just don't do what I did last year and make it an excuse to eat more. I'm using this website to lose weight, I"m training with a friend and I did a 7 mile run this past Saturday which the first half is all up hill. It was the best I've ever done running up that hill and that motivates me to keep going.

Congrats on your run!

That really gives me hope!!!! I just don't want to be the only one who can't run the whole run :)
  • gailosborne
    Options
    You probably need to slow down a bit and there is nothing wrong with that. If you wear a heart rate monitor you could see if the pace you are currently running at is a bit too intense.

You could do speed intervals and/or fartlek once a week to get the speed up as your endurance improves. If you've done it once you can do it again. Good Luck with it!