omg burger banner

Options
Couldnt believe it when I was sitting here just now readin peoples post and an advert came up on the right hand side of my screen, big banner with an picture of an ENORMOUS 5000 calorie burger on it, advertising restuarants in the area.
Really not what I need after dieting all day and being really good. surely they realise what the site is? fancy advertiseing right here???

Adverts both like that online, and also on tv constantly ramming unhealthy food in our faces drives me nuts. I mean the goverment complain about our growing obesity problem and I sit here watching TV in the evening, and literally every other advert is a food one, M&S, supermarkets, chocolate bars, mcdonalds ect ect ect. Im sure it makes me head for the fridge :(

Replies

• snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I suppose the site has to make it's money from somewhere to keep it free for us
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    And it just makes us stronger! lol
  • misschaplin
    Options
    I suppose the site has to make it's money from somewhere to keep it free for us

Yh I didnt really think about that.......burger actually didnt make me hungry....much :p
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My side banner includes a steak and asparagus. The banner above has a bi-level strawberry short cake w/ the reddest, ripest strawberries with whipped cream on the top. It's a test of our willpower :) I know we can fight it though
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The site doesnt control what ads are displayed, this is done to keep site free. The ads look at cookies on your system to find relavent ads to what you have been searching for.

For example if you go to www.Chevy.com on your computer, you will probably start seeing car ads on your screen.
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I can withstand the burger, but my banner has fresh cut fries. OMG!!
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i honestly dont even notice the ads on the side
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Not me.... I plan on a big mac tomorrow...:devil:
    And it just makes us stronger! lol
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    People need to take responsiblity for themselves,just cuz something is shoved in your face via ads does not mean you have to eat it.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's just a picture. Now if you could reach in the screen and pull the burger out and eat it, then I would be upset but as long as it is just a picture of something I don't have in front of me right now I am ok with it. Your going to see advertisements everywhere you go, on your TV especially for unhealthy food ALL day, you can't avoid it unless you stop watching TV, stop listening the the radio, stop using the internet etc...

Let it roll of your back. You'll be ok :wink:
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The site doesnt control what ads are displayed, this is done to keep site free. The ads look at cookies on your system to find relavent ads to what you have been searching for.

For example if you go to www.Chevy.com on your computer, you will probably start seeing car ads on your screen.

Yep. When I was planning a disney trip I would get ads for disney.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Yeah cuz I dont see a burger anywhere.......

Im still getting my big mac...

• misschaplin
    Options
    My side banner includes a steak and asparagus. The banner above has a bi-level strawberry short cake w/ the reddest, ripest strawberries with whipped cream on the top. It's a test of our willpower :) I know we can fight it though

actually made me giggle, all these replies indeed show how silly it is to get frustrated by a picture .............oooo now I have spa deals, thats more like it :D
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons obesity is a problem is because we're exposed to so much food every day. You're right when you say that every other advert is about food. The more we see food, the more we want to eat food. Never before have people been so inundated with images of delicious high calorie treats. Our genetics make us want to eat when we see food because we come from a history of not always having enough to eat. In these modern times of having too much available 24/7, it's no wonder people want to eat at fast food places every time they see a big mac on a billboard. I see thousands of ads a day for food on the internet, tv, buses, cabs, billboards... come on! I get it. We should eat everything and be fat! Good grief!

I saw the most brilliant advertising strategy at Potbelly's the other day. There was a lunchbox full of cookies for sale and the sign on it said simply, "Grab a cookie!!" I saw two people in line in front of me dutifully obey the sign and grab a cookie. Each of those cookies added about 500 calories to their meal and they never even thought twice about it.

Lol. The older I get, the more I sound like everyone is out to get us. :D
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Yeah cuz I dont see a burger anywhere.......

Im still getting my big mac...

my ads dont have anything to do with stuff ive searched i get the same old ones for Pom wonderfull and manicures lol or weight loss surgery (which I have never searched for)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yep, those ads make the site free for everyone. We are fortunate to live in a free market, where we can buy and sell products and services that we please. These sponsors are free to advertise what they please.

If you don't like an ad, refresh your browser window. Odds are, it will disappear. Also, if they are displaying local establishments, you have cookies (or malware) revealing your location. Clean those up, and it should help too.

Also, ads don't making people obese. People's choices (barring some kind of medical condition that prevents them from maintaining a healthy weight) make them obese. The last thing we need is to start relying on the gov't to tell us when we're healthy or not, and how to eat.
  • bodzio4062
    Options
    Well,

If these people are willing to waste their money.... let them. This is not the first time when some corporate "genius" decides to show off his/her "smarts". One certain benefit: folks at myfitnesspal.com is getting paid, so they can provide this fantastic service for ... free to us.I call it win-win situation. :)

As other people already mention, I do ignore most of the adds unless they are helping to answer my question or need.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind too, that there's nothing wrong with a burger once in a while. Here's my weight loss Yoda, proving that point. He was interviewed by a local TV station about his 143 pound weight loss... while eating a burger at Five Guys:

http://www.344pounds.com/2010/04/featured-on-cbs-affiliate-wltx

Another post from his excellent blog, about losing weight by being practical:

http://www.344pounds.com/2010/04/lose-weight-by-being-practical